What's new

What should be done with Rudy Gay

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

Last night he looked washed, and there was a rage growing within me every time he shot the ball and found myself yelling at the tv to get his *** out of the game. Yes, he’s a much better rebounder then Paschall, but that’s about it. Paschall is a better man defender, a better shooter and just seems to have a better rounded offensive game IMO. I know I’m not the coach and have no idea what happens in practice and such, but it seems painfully obvious Paschall should get all of Gay’s minutes. Am I wrong? IMO Gay should only play if the jazz want to spread the court even more with a small ball 5.

Me and a handful of Jazzfanz were right about Whiteside having the biggest impact for new Jazzmen. I will gloat about that.

I'm hoping Rudy Gay pays dividends in the playoffs. He started off the season playing like a beast but he's been less than great for a lot of the season.

Paschall has been so much more efficient and consistently good and he should be getting close to 20 minutes a game.

I think the best we can hope for with Gay is to have him in 80% game shape and healthy for the playoffs. At that point he provides at least a veteran presence in tough playoff situations, and provide stability at the 4 position with better rebounding and defense than Bogey when Bogey sits. He allows us to have a smaller team on the floor without too many mistakes, and give a different look than we could last year. He is not a difference-maker by any stretch. I think, if you consider a run to the finals (say average 6 games per series, so 24 total games), he gives you a surprise 20 pt 8 reb type game 2-3 times over that stretch, which would be enough to turn the tide or carry us a bit when someone else inevitably has a rough game. That is the best case scenario.

Worst case is he wilts like Niang did in the playoffs, but with better rebounding and moderately better D.

I would play Paschall instead. Rudy Gay is a better rebounder, but I think that this advantage is overstated by the raw rebounding numbers. The majority of rebounds are not highly contested, and box outs don't get counted. What really matters is how the team rebounds with each player, and not necessarily the individual rebound totals themselves. Rudy Gay has gotten a lot of rebounds himself over the past few years, but his teams haven't necessarily rebounded better with him on the court. This year when either Gobert or Whiteside on the court, the Jazz rebound more effectively with Paschall at the 4 versus Gay at the 4. Like I said, still advantage for Gay...but probably overstated by the raw numbers.

Paschall is so much more lively on offense. If he's guarded by a smaller player or see's a crease in the defense, it's an easy bucket because he's so explosive and strong inside. We're getting almost zero value from Gay as a shot creator, who is at this point more or less a shaky spot up shooter. It's not exactly fair to exclude Gay's hot start, but he's shot 28% from 3 since his first 6 games. Shooting wise, I think I would still give a slight edge to Gay, but Paschall's improvement and Gay's regression makes that a toss up IMO. Given Paschall's huge advantage as a scorer inside the paint, I think he's pretty clearly a better offensive option.

Defensively it's more of a situational thing. I think Gay is pretty decent at guarding actual bigs man to man. You can't post him up easily, but he gets cooked in any kind of action. Paschall doesn't handle true bigs well inside, but he has the ability to switch and can be your primary defender on big wings. I do think his man to man defense is a little overrated, however. I think Gay is pretty much a defensive 5 at this point, and that can have value. Paschall is just a different type of defender.

Overall, I feel confident that Paschall should play instead of Gay....or we should at least keep trying it. There's no question he's been a better player so far. Gay could still factor into the rotation as an alternative to Whiteside if he's struggling against a certain playoff matchup.

Gay just looks so old out there and his shots are ugly looking these days. Every time he shoots, even when I’m surprised and it goes in somehow it feels like a wasted possession as weird as that sounds.

I actually would like to see him inserted into the starting lineup. I know it is counter-intuitive, but we know there is no way Quin will bench him. Given how bad the Jazz have started games I would love to see them experiment with different starting lineups. Gay wouldn’t be my first choice necessarily, but given that he has been a starter most of his career maybe starting and playing with the starting unit will help him get into his groove.

I actually would like to see him inserted into the starting lineup. I know it is counter-intuitive, but we know there is no way Quin will bench him. Given how bad the Jazz have started games I would love to see them experiment with different starting lineups. Gay wouldn’t be my first choice necessarily, but given that he has been a starter most of his career maybe starting and playing with the starting unit will help him get into his groove.
I don't hate this idea. Bogey is underutilized with our starters and without Ingles or reserves lack some shooting.

I think we just relax. He's going to get like 10-12 minutes a night in the playoffs. Let him get his groove back. If he is still struggling and something needs to be done do it like 2-3 games before the playoffs. He's had a choppy season and is just in a shooting slump. Just let it breathe.

I was excited when we signed him because I thought he was going to be good for us, but even at the time, I hated the contract. It didn't make much sense to sign a 35-year-old to a 3-year contract with a player option for the 3rd year instead of a team option. Considering how poorly he's played, I hate the contract even more now.

Good news is we don't really need to do too much with him. He's relatively cheap so we don't need to package him with a pick anywhere to get away from the money.

Maybe we get lucky and he retires, but maybe he helps us out more in the small ball minutes of the playoffs.

Good news is we don't really need to do too much with him. He's relatively cheap so we don't need to package him with a pick anywhere to get away from the money.

Maybe we get lucky and he retires, but maybe he helps us out more in the small ball minutes of the playoffs.

3/$18 s very expensive for a player who might not be good enough for the rotation, and we've dealt picks for far less money savings.