What's new

What you sippin on?

My buddy just bought a bottle of Pappy 15 for $300. Very solid price.
Mother of God.

Please tell me you will be getting a sip and then let me know all about it.

Fat Tire. Mmmmmmmmm.

Interesting one.
I remember going to Evanston to fill kegs with fat tire back in the day.

Interesting one.
I remember going to Evanston to fill kegs with fat tire back in the day.

I'm becoming more of a fan of darker beers. Fat Tire, Michelob Amber Bock. I don't do liquor much anymore but I'll enjoy a beer with an occasional meal. There's a new brewery down here in UC that has a killer stout(nitro). Their house stout is a little too coffee strong for my liking.

I'm becoming more of a fan of darker beers. Fat Tire, Michelob Amber Bock. I don't do liquor much anymore but I'll enjoy a beer with an occasional meal. There's a new brewery down here in UC that has a killer stout(nitro). Their house stout is a little too coffee strong for my liking.
Alcoholics don't like dark beer. Too filling. We end up chasing shots to relieve the fullness.

And when I say "we" it's a nice way of saying those sonsabitches.

Alcoholics don't like dark beer. Too filling. We end up chasing shots to relieve the fullness.

I got sloppy drunk. Like "hit on married women" sloppy. I sure was a happy drunk though.

Not to "well actually" you, but...

Well actually the color of beer has nothing at all to do with the "body" of the beer. As a brewer it's the final standard gravity (SG) reading that indicates how much "residual sugar" is left over after fermentation. It's that residual sugar that determines the body and mouth feel of the beer. A few things can artificially enhance the mouth feel, like using oats, without providing additional residual sugar, but that can be done in the lightest out darkest of beer.

Color is a poor indicator of anything particular about a beer. It doesn't tell you anything about alcohol content, body, calories, roasted flavors.

Now using black roasted barley will both make a beer dark and provide that roasted flavor, but there are many ways to make beer dark without using black roasted barley. And since black roasted barley isn't malted it provides no, or at least very little, fermentable sugar, which means it also increases the body of the beer.

But there is brown malt, chocolate malt, black patent (developed by Guinness), chocolate wheat, and even using a lot of crystal L120, or other toasted malt that can all make a beer dark. With chocolate or black patent (especially black patent) you can change the color with just an ounce of two in a five gallon batch. That's not enough to noticably change the flavor but enough to make a beer quite dark. What some brewers do if they are just trying to change the color is to take the dark malt and grind it super fine in a coffee or spice grinder separate from the rest of the grain and add it after the grain is mashed just before lautering. Used that way it has almost no impact on anything other than color.

Guinness and Bud light are almost identical beers in starting gravity, finishing gravity, calories, alcohol, but people are pretty sure Guinness is strong and heavy while Bud light is light and weak. It's all in their heads.

I typed this on my phone. Sorry if typos.

Not to "well actually" you, but...

Well actually the color of beer has nothing at all to do with the "body" of the beer. As a brewer it's the final standard gravity (SG) reading that indicates how much "residual sugar" is left over after fermentation. It's that residual sugar that determines the body and mouth feel of the beer. A few things can artificially enhance the mouth feel, like using oats, without providing additional residual sugar, but that can be done in the lightest out darkest of beer.

Color is a poor indicator of anything particular about a beer. It doesn't tell you anything about alcohol content, body, calories, roasted flavors.

Now using black roasted barley will both make a beer dark and provide that roasted flavor, but there are many ways to make beer dark without using black roasted barley. And since black roasted barley isn't malted it provides no, or at least very little, fermentable sugar, which means it also increases the body of the beer.

But there is brown malt, chocolate malt, black patent (developed by Guinness), chocolate wheat, and even using a lot of crystal L120, or other toasted malt that can all make a beer dark. With chocolate or black patent (especially black patent) you can change the color with just an ounce of two in a five gallon batch. That's not enough to noticably change the flavor but enough to make a beer quite dark. What some brewers do if they are just trying to change the color is to take the dark malt and grind it super fine in a coffee or spice grinder separate from the rest of the grain and add it after the grain is mashed just before lautering. Used that way it has almost no impact on anything other than color.

Guinness and Bud light are almost identical beers in starting gravity, finishing gravity, calories, alcohol, but people are pretty sure Guinness is strong and heavy while Bud light is light and weak. It's all in their heads.

I typed this on my phone. Sorry if typos.

Um, color may be a poor way of truly identifying definite characteristics, but it's my way...

#rednecklife

Let me well actually myself.

Most beer styles that are dark are either sweeter or more toasty or both than most light beer styles. So it's not a completely baseless assumption.

Let me well actually myself.

Most beer styles that are dark are either sweeter or more toasty or both than most light beer styles. So it's not a completely baseless assumption.

Thank you.
Point proven.
It's about the alcohol, not the color.