What's new

What's the point of keeping Lauri anymore?

So you don't think teams like keeping all stars on their roster then.
That explains all the all stars who got moved today. Including Lauri
I'm gonna miss him but it will be fun watching what he does on his new team once I figure out just where the hell he got traded to
Top 20 guys usually play on teams that are trying to contend. Either now or in the very near future. So no **** they're not getting traded.

Lauri is unique in that he's a youngish top 20 guy on a team that just got worse on purpose. That just doesn't happen.

As I said, the only two really logical/conventional options for the Jazz are/were:

1) Flip Lauri for future assets
2) Build around him right now with the pile of assets they have

Top 20 guys usually play on teams that are trying to contend. Either now or in the very near future. So no **** they're not getting traded.

Lauri is unique in that he's a youngish top 20 guy on a team that just got worse on purpose. That just doesn't happen.

As I said, the only two really logical/conventional options for the Jazz are/were:

1) Flip Lauri for future assets
2) Build around him right now with the pile of assets they have
You still haven't responded to my post.
I posted that teams like to keep all stars players on their team.

You did your whole sky is falling routine but teams still like to keep all stars on their team even after your routine.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

It’s frustrating… but there has to be a top 20 player available to get. So they are keeping themselves in a position to pull the trigger when it becomes possible.

It’s frustrating… but there has to be a top 20 player available to get.
Highly unlikely. And even if one was available, they most likely would not want to play in Utah. That's just how it is.

Of course, we have a top 20 guy on the roster right now who does want to play here, but the FO decided it doesn't make sense to try to win with him and buy reinforcements with the massive pile of assets we already have.

Highly unlikely. And even if one was available, they most likely would not want to play in Utah. That's just how it is.
Donovan mitchell didn't want to go to cleveland and Gobert didn't want to go to minnesota but they didn't have a choice because they were traded.

Our temporary Jazz fans/Lauri chasers are having a rough night. I think we had a lot of people convinced they were going to get to buy okc jerseys this year.

It's okay, just have some patience. It's not like he was doing much before the Jazz.

Of course, we have a top 20 guy on the roster right now who does want to play here, but the FO decided it doesn't make sense to try to win with him and buy reinforcements with the massive pile of assets we already have.
Buy him reinforcements for what? Without a second top 20 player they aren’t going anywhere. And you’re right… you have to find the right situation / person. Otherwise Jrue would be a Jazz man now.

Because he wants to sign a long-term deal in Utah
So... do you agree with Pinhead above:

Without a second top 20 player they aren’t going anywhere.

IMO finding and acquiring another top 20 player during Lauri's extension years is extremely unlikely. What, then, is the point of Lauri if he's not a guy you aggressively build around without worrying too much about the far future?

What I'm saying is that if you go for the youth movement... go for the youth movement. Don't max out a vet approaching 30 to keep him on the roster through rough rebuilding years when you could flip him for high-level young talent.

Personally, I believe they'll lock up Lauri and then trade him next season. Danny will have to face the wrath of the fanbase but he's an old man, he won't care.

Donovan mitchell didn't want to go to cleveland and Gobert didn't want to go to minnesota but they didn't have a choice because they were traded.
And unlike Siakam and OG (the two main moves i recall within the season), they had longterm deals.

If we look back to the offseason. Dame could be one, but we'd be opening our war chest to par his timeline with Sexton, Clarkson, George (not that any of them are deserving of holding out of Dame, but what about being complimentary, quite obvious that the Blazers wouldn't wanna any of them) ? Holiday would sent his retirement letter without even reporting. Beal had veto power. Porzingis could simply not opt into his last year (let alone extend for another 2) as he did to get traded instead of hitting free agency, which he could do If he didn't fancy here

There is no way in hell Don will resign there and Gobert is not a top 20 player.
You missed the point.
You said players won't come here.
I showed you that it isn't always up to the players.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

This whole conversation is stupid. Jazz are still building around Lauri. They hav a solid War chest of assets and added to it by selling guys they clearly did not have in their long term plans. Olynyk and Agbaji are both solid guys, but not essential. I’m fine with DA still looking to add assets when and where he can. I don’t love the Fontecchio trade - simply because I think he still has upside to tap into. . . and I’m not convinced that he’ll get a RFA offer the Jazz wouldn’t just match. But, if they decided that the cost was going to be too high, I get why they made the trade now to get something back. Hopefully other guys step up in the rotation. I’m not convinced that being sellers at the deadline, with the deals they made, means their tanking. These moves feel very normal considering DA’s history. Kick the tires on some other deals, but there was nothing out there that really moves the needle. Best to load up and keep waiting for a deal like that to present itself. They’ve created some flexibility in the cap and the draft. I’d be surprised if they actually use either of those picks to select a rookie this year though. Guess we’ll see.

So trading a couple pending free agents means we are tearing it down? Olynyk and Simone were not going to help us turn into a contender. What could get closer is hitting on Hendricks and Sensabaugh plus adding another quality guy with our top 10 pick. Then at the same time take the 25 million that it would have cost to bring back Olynyk and Simone and put it to use.
They may not be the guys who turn us into contenders but anyone who is a real contender 100% needs players that do what Simone and KO do.

Unless Simone is going to get some gargantuan contract i still think trading him was just pointless. Anyway regarding Lauri, if there's anything we know about professional sports NBA included is that nothing stays the same for long. All it takes is one or two signings, a couple of players develop unexpectedly and a team significantly improves reasonably quickly. So i still think it sucks and was a pointless step back trading Simone, i think we'll be pushing into playoff contention within the next year or two with Lauri and then hopefully something happens where we take a big jump 2, 3, 4 years down the track There is every point in keeping a guy this good

Unless Simone is going to get some gargantuan contract i still think trading him was just pointless. Anyway regarding Lauri, if there's anything we know about professional sports NBA included is that nothing stays the same for long. All it takes is one or two signings, a couple of players develop unexpectedly and a team significantly improves reasonably quickly. So i still think it sucks and was a pointless step back trading Simone, i think we'll be pushing into playoff contention within the next year or two with Lauri and then hopefully something happens where we take a big jump 2, 3, 4 years down the track There is every point in keeping a guy this good

I think it is possible to argue that Otto Porter Jr is a simple upgrade over Simone. Assuming he stays healthy and gets involved...

You really, really think that the Jazz didn't have enough capital to make big splashes?
They have enough assets to make 2 big splashes and porbably even some additional moves. But you cannot buy something thats not available.

BPA on this deadline was either Lavine or Murray, and we werent interested in them. Eventually the best player traded was probably PJ Washington, but getting a guy like him is not a big splash.

Not this team's. Maybe some other team in 2027, but playing rookies definitely lowers this team's ceiling.
So you think every year, you should just make short term investments to maximize that year and thats the best strategy?

Thats not a strategy, thats just winging it. Teams who are in contention/panic mode do that, but there is a very good reason why middling teams shouldnt.

Random players like Olynyk, Fontecchio, Ocahi, Collins, THT, Beasley and Vando?

I would say, based on two years of evidence, that buying random players is the exact MO of this FO.
Only one of those players was "bought", and even he was acquired from the bargain bin. Thats Collins. KO was a straight up swap for a guy who was probably more valueable at the time of the trade, but DA liked KO so he did that swap. Others were acquired from FA or in trades where we were the sellers. We bring in lots of guys and churn through them to find keepers and additional trade fodder to build up the war chest.