What's new

What's Utah's Next Move?

Utah Next Major Move

• Sign Guaranteed Contract

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just signed another shot-blocking big. They trading Rudy. Might be something big.

Ah crap just saw I voted the same as homey.

Is there a facepalm emoji?
:eek:

Close enough

If I had to bet I would say the next move is extending Rudy. I think this is the most likely. I kind of doubt we trade Rudy even if they fail to negotiate an extension. I think they will try to play it out like they did with Hayward - they will let him test FA and see if we can convince him to come back.

Only move that may happen before the season starts is the Rudy extension. I assume that probably happens. Other than that... nada.

I don't think we do anything else before the season starts. I really hope I'm wrong and that we get Rudy's extension done.

If I had to bet I would say the next move is extending Rudy. I think this is the most likely. I kind of doubt we trade Rudy even if they fail to negotiate an extension. I think they will try to play it out like they did with Hayward - they will let him test FA and see if we can convince him to come back.
The problem with that is that there is going to be no shortage of max cap slots out there, and if Rudy won’t take an offer from us that beats what other teams can offer (but still under the super max), that’s a pretty damn good sign that him walking is a totally plausible scenario.

And the Jazz were not just one good big that can’t shoot away from winning a championship. So a play for this year is kinda **** IMO.

I have no doubt the Jazz have offered a max contract that beats what other teams can offer, so he needs to come back to earth on this. The list of players that are worth the supermax is maybe five players long and Rudy sure ain’t on that list.

The problem with that is that there is going to be no shortage of max cap slots out there, and if Rudy won’t take an offer from us that beats what other teams can offer (but still under the super max), that’s a pretty damn good sign that him walking is a totally plausible scenario.

And the Jazz were not just one good big that can’t shoot away from winning a championship. So a play for this year is kinda **** IMO.

I have no doubt the Jazz have offered a max contract that beats what other teams can offer, so he needs to come back to earth on this. The list of players that are worth the supermax is maybe five players long and Rudy sure ain’t on that list.
There is nothing I disagree with here. The problem is that I've lost most of my trust in this FO to make reasonable moves and I can absolutely see them keeping Rudy with the hope he will reconsider in the summer or that we will be able to convince him in the summer ... or that he won't have the market, etc. I too think that if they can't reach an agreement on the extension they should trade him. In fact I think they should have put a much earlier artificial deadline for themselves and (if no extension was signed) they should have traded him when everyone was giving out insane deals for borderline all-stars.

In my mind it's already too late to get good value for him if you get to the point where you want to trade him. Teams are already set for the new season. Who's going to make an offer and what kind of offer would that be that satisfies the timeline of Mitchell? Because if you are trading Rudy for picks, you might as well start seeking trade options for Mitchell as well. I doubt he will be thrilled to go through either a rebuild or mediocrity and fights for the 8th seed for the duration of his contract.

There is nothing I disagree with here. The problem is that I've lost most of my trust in this FO to make reasonable moves and I can absolutely see them keeping Rudy with the hope he will reconsider in the summer or that we will be able to convince him in the summer ... or that he won't have the market, etc. I too think that if they can't reach an agreement on the extension they should trade him. In fact I think they should have put a much earlier artificial deadline for themselves and (if no extension was signed) they should have traded him when everyone was giving out insane deals for borderline all-stars.

In my mind it's already too late to get good value for him if you get to the point where you want to trade him. Teams are already set for the new season. Who's going to make an offer and what kind of offer would that be that satisfies the timeline of Mitchell? Because if you are trading Rudy for picks, you might as well start seeking trade options for Mitchell as well. I doubt he will be thrilled to go through either a rebuild or mediocrity and fights for the 8th seed for the duration of his contract.
Yeah, you’re not wrong. My strongest argument against trading Rudy is that the market will not bring anything approaching equal value even before this.

Jazz have totally ****ed this up if they don’t have a remotely reasonable extension done by the deadline.

Last edited:
Guis, I forgot we had Dell Demps. Even though he’s not FO, it’s amazing that we’ve got four GMs in the franchise and we’re churning out some of these (in)decisions. Perhaps the more DL hires guys whose jobs depend on agreeing with him, the further it emboldens him.

Guis, I forgot we had Dell Demps. Even though he’s not FO, it’s amazing that we’ve got four GMs in the franchise and we’re churning out some of these (in)decisions. Perhaps the more DL hires guys whose jobs depend on agreeing with him, it further emboldens him.
Too many cooks...

Guis, I forgot we had Dell Demps. Even though he’s not FO, it’s amazing that we’ve got four GMs in the franchise and we’re churning out some of these (in)decisions. Perhaps the more DL hires guys whose jobs depend on agreeing with him, the further it emboldens him.
But Dell was a bad GM so not sure it adds anything... at some point it’s just more yes men for DL. “Yes mr Lindsey he has enormous hand pads” “yes mr. Lindsey he is Mike Effing Conley” “ yes mr. Lindsey vertical spacing is a thing”.