What's new

What's your explanation for early OKC success?

Why does Kanter look great in OKC

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you mean those post-ups, where he had to go for a sky hook, a jumper or a an up and under?
They are not designated plays either. Most of the time Gordon dribbled for 5-10 seconds and gave Enes the ball. Like "here is the ball and create your own shot". And then he got double teamed or he travelled or forced a shot or he made it. The only runs were made for him when someone penetrated, so he is open and got a jumper. Of course here and then there may be other runs, but I talk about runs which made regularly for him.

Kanter had the most FGA per minute on the team. What say you?

think Burke was the exception due to the lack of a real viable alternative.
Not true. Utah can play without a PG with Hayward handling the ball and Lil'saps of the league guarding opposing PG. He played because we needed "scoring". Same as Kanter but only Kanter got consistently dogged.

Can you find statistics about the substitutions for the Jazz? You will see it.

I just picked randomly some gamethreads I found through search to show some quotes (the titles of those quotes have a url to those game threads, if you want to see the gamethreads).

10-31-2014 Game 2 vs Mavs
"Kanter got 20 minutes last night and was pulled until the last two minutes. Quin was trying to save Booker and put Kanter in during garbage time. Kanter may not make it through this year. "

"Coach Snyder: I like the fact he played other guys hoping they could get something out of the bench. I also liked how he pulled Kanter out of the game in the first quarter and replaced him with Booker (7:45 mark) because Kanter missed a defensive rotation. I thought Kanter would sit for a while but he was out for a very short minute. I watch Kanter the next few trips down the court and he rotated on defense both times and I just smiled. However later in the game got lost again but at least when he got pulled in sunk in temporarily."

11-02-2014 Game 3 vs Suns
"Kanter gets pulled early again. Let's face it, he just doesn't fit in Quin's offense or defense. "

"At least Snyder is sticking to his word with if our guys don't play defense. Kanter only got 15 minutes tonight. Our bench did really well in this game too. "

11-13-2014 Game 9 vs Hawks
"I don't understand Quin substitutions...he benchs players when they are hot...he benched Booker early in the 4th quarter when he was on fire on defense...then he put him back on the court in the last minute over Kanter without sense! "
"Simply for defensive reasons. But I agree with you. Kanter should have stayed in. I think more than anything it messed with team chemistry. But in the coaches defense, all these experiences will help later in the year. Young coach."

11-14-2014 Game 10 vs Knicks
"Good thing Kanter is benched "
"Just joined the game - what happened to Kanter????? "
"havent seen kanter at all. "
"Solid game by Burke overall. Probably his best so far this season. But I don't understand why Kanter is in the doghouse. His D isn't THAT bad. It's not like Melo would have gone for 60 instead of 46. "

Ok, take your time and search for the rest. I just gave you examples from only 4 games of first 10 games so far.
You will find a lot more of those comments in all the other left gamethreads. I don't have the time to look up every game thread now.
Pay attention that my quotes are from different users, so not my comments.

If you say that my quotes are no evidence, then I just can smile. Because fact is that many people saw what I saw. Calling this pure fantasy is ... your fantasy. And I only covered 4 games from begin of the season.

Just look at the play by play for each game. Hell, I'll take the last 10 games he played, and when he checked in and out of the 4th quarters:

Nets at Jazz. Jazz win 108-73. Kanter gets 28 minutes. Kanter plays the first 6 minutes of the 3rd and the last 8 minutes of the 4th. Kanter goes 10 points, 4 boards, 5/12 shooting.

Celts at Jazz. Jazz lose 99-90. Kanter gets 31 minutes. Kanter plays the first 9.5 minutes of the 3rd and from 9:35 to about 45 seconds left in the 4th. 20/6, 10/16

Clipps at Jazz. Jazz lose 94-89. 35 minutes. Plays the first 10 minutes of the 3rd, and the last 9 minutes of the 4th. 21/11, 8/16

Warriors at Jazz. Jazz win 110-100. 18 minutes. Plays 6.5 minutes of the 3rd, none in the 4th. 5/10, 2/7

Jazz at Blazers. Jazz lose 102-103. 23 minutes. He plays from 4 minutes in the 3rd to 6 minutes in the 4th (he didn't start the 2nd half) 16/7 6/12

Grizzlies at Jazz. Jazz lose 100-90. 31 minutes. Plays 9 minutes in the 3rd, 5 minutes at the beginning of the 4th and the last minute of the 4th. 16/10, 8/18

Jazz at Suns. Jazz lose 100-93. 24 minutes. Plays first 7.5 minutes in the 3rd, 8.5 to 6 in the 4th. 6/6 3/8.

Kings at Jazz. Jazz win 102-90. 33 minutes. Plays first nearly the whole 3rd, and 2 minutes in the 4th. 17/13 7/6

Jazz at Hornets. Jazz win 100-96. 28.5 minutes. Plays 5.5 in the 3rd, and from 11 minutes to the final minute in the 4th. 14/11 6/12.

Jazz at Mavs. Jazz lose 82-87. 18 minutes. Plays first 6 in the 3rd, none in the 4th. 6/10 3/7.

So he might have a beef with the Mavs game, and to a lesser extent the Blazers and Grizzlies game. Some of this also is attributed to Gobert playing well. But the games where he got less minutes he didn't seem to deserve them. When he played well, he got minutes. He was hardly just randomly pulled even after great games.

The problem was, first 2 years of his career Utah focused on Big Al and Millsap. I'm not saying Kanter should have been the starter nor the main focus. But he was completely ignored for 2 years. His development was the last thing it seemed.
But the worst thing here is: why? For what did Utah focus on Big Al and Millsap? Can you tell me the big important reason behind this decision? What was so much more important than developing your 3rd pick?
Let's say there was a reason. Alright, I'm fine with it.

There is another thing that is not clear. Why the Jazz took a competitive big like Booker that will demand 20 minutes if they had already Favors, Kanter, Gobert and Evans and wanted to develop them further this season?

It does not make sense to take Booker if the Jazz didn't have playoff ambition this season. In addition it sent indirectly a message to Kanter that the management didn't trust him at 100%. It seems like they decided they won't keep Kanter already at the beginning of this season.

Last edited:
The trades OKC Thunder acquired (Kanter, Augustin, Singler & Novak) filled the void the team had with a good size inside scoring post (Enes Kanter). Thunder now possess some 3 point threats with Augustin & Singler. These players haven't had a chance to establish any continuity in practice or on the court. They haven't learned the sets.

True, they haven't played anybody (Charlotte & Denver); the level of competition will get better with the next 3 games (Indiana, Phoenix & Portland).

Good Jazz win 92-76 over Blazers. Haywood plays methodical; well disciplined.

There is another thing that is not clear. Why the Jazz took a competitive big like Booker that will demand 20 minutes if they had already Favors, Kanter, Gobert and Evans and wanted to develop them further this season?

It does not make sense to take Booker if the Jazz didn't have playoff ambition this season. In addition it sent indirectly a message to Kanter that the management didn't trust him at 100%. It seems like they decided they won't keep Kanter already at the beginning of this season.

You are being irrational.

Evans was never going to be a regular rotation player and the Jazz didn't expect Gobert to develop as quickly as he did. Frontcourt depth was a need.

And yet Kanter continued to start over a better player. Dude was given every opportunity and more than the benefit of the doubt. He knew he was beat out and wanted out rather than compete.

When a Jazz player has 2 weeks of solid numbers, Jazz fans post things like "________ is God!". That same player has 3 consecutive games with stats that are sub-par, and Jazz fans leave the ES arena with pitchforks and torches. Kanter has always played well. He still needed to be traded, but the Jazz management should have and could have got a lot more out of him. Its like having a Cadillac with a book value of $50,000 but we sell it to the neighbor for $30,000. Whats worse is the Jazz fans are patting the management on the back for an outstanding job. KOC has had control of the team for 17 years now. First as a GM and now the puppet master behind the scenes as VP of basketball opps. Let me ask you something.. If you give someone 17 years to produce a championship and they don't do it, would you continue to pat that person on the back? Our mothers could make better decisions than KOC and produce a championship within that time.

When a Jazz player has 2 weeks of solid numbers, Jazz fans post things like "________ is God!". That same player has 3 consecutive games with stats that are sub-par, and Jazz fans leave the ES arena with pitchforks and torches. Kanter has always played well. He still needed to be traded, but the Jazz management should have and could have got a lot more out of him. Its like having a Cadillac with a book value of $50,000 but we sell it to the neighbor for $30,000. Whats worse is the Jazz fans are patting the management on the back for an outstanding job. KOC has had control of the team for 17 years now. First as a GM and now the puppet master behind the scenes as VP of basketball opps. Let me ask you something.. If you give someone 17 years to produce a championship and they don't do it, would you continue to pat that person on the back? Our mothers could make better decisions than KOC and produce a championship within that time.

You had me until the end. NBA championships in this league are rare to come by and shouldn't be the sole criteria for success.