What's new

Who Should the Jazz Bring In?

homeytennis

The Jazz have some shopping to do. They have at least one and perhaps two roster spots to fill. I'll start the bidding with Sir Dominic Pointer a swingman who for no other reason has a cool name and is a GLeague lifer. He was a late 2nd round pick in 2015 which means he was selected ahead of Christian Wood. In a game he played in yesterday former first round picks Henry Ellenson and Nik Staukas put up big numbers. Both were 1st round draft picks. Then there are guys walking around like RHJ, Korver and Joe Jesus. OKC's GLeague team has two undrafted 7 footers putting up monster numbers in the bubble Moses Brown and a Georgetown kid if Dok is too injured to play this season. I don't think the Stars have anyone playing for them now that is worthy of the Jazz attention at this moment.

Someone on this board brought up RHJ a week or two ago and I agree - I think we should sign him. As last night proved, having an elite defender (aside from Rudy) would be nice.

The Jazz have some shopping to do. They have at least one and perhaps two roster spots to fill. I'll start the bidding with Sir Dominic Pointer a swingman who for no other reason has a cool name and is a GLeague lifer. He was a late 2nd round pick in 2015 which means he was selected ahead of Christian Wood. In a game he played in yesterday former first round picks Henry Ellenson and Nik Staukas put up big numbers. Both were 1st round draft picks. Then there are guys walking around like RHJ, Korver and Joe Jesus. OKC's GLeague team has two undrafted 7 footers putting up monster numbers in the bubble Moses Brown and a Georgetown kid if Dok is too injured to play this season. I don't think the Stars have anyone playing for them now that is worthy of the Jazz attention at this moment.
Joe Johnson looked pretty washed for us... 3 years ago.

You guys could use Austin Rivers -- a knock down scorer in crunch time. He's on the trading block.

By the way, this shot went in. Over Mitchell and Gobert. Think about that.
1614656849660.png

Not gonna happen but Bojan and a couple firts for Jerami Grant would be stellar. He can put up as many points as Bojan so we’re not losing too much on offense (not the sniper that Bojan is but still great from 3) and gives us two solid wing defenders between him and Royce. He is also a better rebounder, could help as the secondary rim defender, and etc. contracts is slightly more than Bojan but for what you get I think it’s well worth it. Also like 5 years younger. No hate on bogey, Jerami just seems like a good fit

RHJ is obvious, but he probably has a long list of suitors and he probably wouldn't sign here given that he wouldn't be in the rotation. We also have to be realistic and acknowledge that Quin is done playing two non shooters. He's played Favors-Gobert in only one matchup (the Bucks) the entire season. We're not going to play someone that can't shoot. It's even crazier to think that we're going to play someone who can't shoot in these late game situations against the league's best.

I think it's more likely that we scour the G-League. Maybe pick up someone like Axel Toupane who at least has a chance at making an open shot. But whoever we sign, that guy is not making a difference on this team.

RHJ is obvious, but he probably has a long list of suitors and he probably wouldn't sign here given that he wouldn't be in the rotation. We also have to be realistic and acknowledge that Quin is done playing two non shooters. He's played Favors-Gobert in only one matchup (the Bucks) the entire season. We're not going to play someone that can't shoot. It's even crazier to think that we're going to play someone who can't shoot in these late game situations against the league's best.

I think it's more likely that we scour the G-League. Maybe pick up someone like Axel Toupane who at least has a chance at making an open shot. But whoever we sign, that guy is not making a difference on this team.
A guy who took a non-guaranteed minimum training camp deal with the worst team in the league and was waived in preseason, and is still yet to be signed, doesn’t have a long list of suitors.

And RHJ would gladly take a camp deal with the worst team in the league but turn down signing with the best team in the league record wise? We could argue that he wouldn’t be in the rotation, but he’s currently not in any rotation.

A guy who took a non-guaranteed minimum training camp deal with the worst team in the league and was waived in preseason, and is still yet to be signed, doesn’t have a long list of suitors.

And RHJ would gladly take a camp deal with the worst team in the league but turn down signing with the best team in the league record wise? We could argue that he wouldn’t be in the rotation, but he’s currently not in any rotation.

We've gone through this a million times. There's really no point in fleshing this out one more team. He probably took the camp deal because it was his best chance to make a roster for the whole season. That possibility is gone now so he might as well wait.

Like the Shaq situation, if it's so obvious that we should sign him...there's probably something going that we don't know. Maybe he's begging to get on any team. But if that's the case, 30/30 teams are making that decision and there's some bad intel on his game.

As far as him being in the rotation...there's no argument. He wouldn't be in the rotation simple as that. There are 2 guys not in the rotation who would be ahead of him.

We've gone through this a million times. There's really no point in fleshing this out one more team. He probably took the camp deal because it was his best chance to make a roster for the whole season. That possibility is gone now so he might as well wait.

Like the Shaq situation, if it's so obvious that we should sign him...there's probably something going that we don't know. Maybe he's begging to get on any team. But if that's the case, 30/30 teams are making that decision and there's some bad intel on his game.

As far as him being in the rotation...there's no argument. He wouldn't be in the rotation simple as that. There are 2 guys not in the rotation who would be ahead of him.
You’re conflating a few ideas and being wildly inconsistent. First, it’s clear we’re not interested in him. Maybe there’s a good reason for that, maybe there isn’t. I’m not taking any opinion on it because clearly it’s irrelevant in light of the fact that we’re not interested in him. What you seem to be suggesting is that perhaps it could be that he’s not interested in us, or that he’s going to be choosy. But then in this post you’re saying “maybe he’s begging to get on any team.”

There may be a lot of reasons he’s not on a roster now, but him being ultra-selective probably isn’t one of them.

You’re conflating a few ideas and being wildly inconsistent. First, it’s clear we’re not interested in him. Maybe there’s a good reason for that, maybe there isn’t. I’m not taking any opinion on it because clearly it’s irrelevant in light of the fact that we’re not interested in him. What you seem to be suggesting is that perhaps it could be that he’s not interested in us, or that he’s going to be choosy. But then in this post you’re saying “maybe he’s begging to get on any team.”

There may be a lot of reasons he’s not on a roster now, but him being ultra-selective probably isn’t one of them.

I'm not being inconsistent, I'm just acknowledging that there are different possibilities. It could be that he and his agent are sitting tight waiting for the perfect situation or wants to delay things to avoid the rigorous protocols. It could be that the perfect situation is any situation at all and he simply can't find a contract. If it's true that he'd be dying to sign a 10 day contract right now, it's fair to assume that there's intel around the league that he can't play anymore.

Jazz should bring in a brute defender and rebounder. They have Juwan Morgan on the roster, and I'm not sure why he doesn't get minutes. The Jazz need someone with some size and toughness. They're too soft defensively and on the boards against elite physical teams.
Ya I mean we basically have niang and bogey at the 4. Neither will rebound well or defend the paint well.

I have been clamoring for Morgan for a while now. Much better size which it would seem we need and we would only lose a little bit of shooting.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app