What's new

Who to pair with Lauri and Keyonte?

We need a bigger wing who can create their own shot like a Paul George type player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazz need a player with some size who can consistently create an advantage for himself off the dribble. It's the ever elusive long, athletic wing or guard with advanced ball skills. I like Keyonte and the skill set he has, but he doesn't consistently break a defense at this stage, and ultimately that's what the Jazz need.

Last edited:
I think Lauri is an average defender and Keyonte in his best outcomes will only be an average defender (but most likely below average). You need an elite defense and offense to be a contender. The other 3 players and coaching are going to have to do the heavy lifting on defense.

I think Lauri is an average defender and Keyonte in his best outcomes will only be an average defender (but most likely below average). You need an elite defense and offense to be a contender. The other 3 players and coaching are going to have to do the heavy lifting on defense.
Thats just not true. A lot of good but not great defensive teams have won the chip. Denver being the latest.

Jokic is horrible on perimeter switches and Murray coasts on defense. Porter is pretty meh. Only Gordon and KCP are great, but even they arent DPOY level guys.

Thats just not true. A lot of good but not great defensive teams have won the chip. Denver being the latest.

Jokic is horrible on perimeter switches and Murray coasts on defense. Porter is pretty meh. Only Gordon and KCP are great, but even they arent DPOY level guys.

DEN is an exception, but even they found a way to play great defense in the playoffs. It could be the case they will never be able to do it again, but in order to win a championship you do have to play great on both ends and they did it. Also, it does not matter if Jokic or Murray is bad in a specific area. If they play good defense, they play good defense and they did.

In any case, I think it's a losing strategy to try to build a contender by ignoring one half of the game. Key and Lauri are not defensive players, for me this conversation needs to start with how we're able to build a strong defense around them.

DEN is an exception, but even they found a way to play great defense in the playoffs. It could be the case they will never be able to do it again, but in order to win a championship you do have to play great on both ends and they did it. Also, it does not matter if Jokic or Murray is bad in a specific area. If they play good defense, they play good defense and they did.

In any case, I think it's a losing strategy to try to build a contender by ignoring one half of the game. Key and Lauri are not defensive players, for me this conversation needs to start with how we're able to build a strong defense around them.
I do agree they upped their level and team defense in the playoffs, but that doesnt make them all better than average defensive talents.

I definitely agree about the importance of defense. Right now Clarkson is providing us "extra offense" which cuts into Key and Lauri usage.

Replace him with a KCP like guy and we improve our defense a lot without losing too much offense.

Ainge is after a top 5 player, or someone who will project to a top 5 player in 3 years.

Going to be a situation of who asks out first between Giannis, Embiid and Luka.

Ainge is after a top 5 player, or someone who will project to a top 5 player in 3 years.

Going to be a situation of who asks out first between Giannis, Embiid and Luka.
And I would prefer them in that order. JC, JC and picks for Embiid.

Here's to hoping we pick up a top 3 player in the league through the draft and he leads us to the championship sometime before I am 60. That's all. I don't care what he looks like or how he plays. I whanna wheeeen.

I really like Key and think he will be an excellent longterm piece for us but just like I said with Kessler last year we shouldn't be making any moves with the expectation for guys with a year or less of experience as if they are sure things. I've seen way too many young players have solid rookie years and then stagnate or regress after that point.

He's also a really bad finished at the rim, and quite terrible in transition. I don't think he'd start on most other teams. Maybe wouldn't even be the primary backup.