What's new

Why does everyone suddenly want to make the playoffs so badly?

twentytwo

I want two picks. I hope the Jazz gel and lose a bunch of close ones to good teams, and barely miss the playoffs.

Why any fan would WANT his/her team to lose, ever, is beyond me.

I guess people think it's guaranteed that the 14th pick in the draft will make those close games winnable next year.

The competitive nature of the sports fan is coming out.

I want the picks too, but it's still hard to lose. When my Bucaneers won a few meaningless games a season ago it cost us a stud in Suh.
Looking back I'd much rather have him for 10+ years, than those 2 wins at the end of the season.

I want to Jazz to make the playoff because I want to see them play four more games this year. Also we only have six games left to the regular season and there are 16 teams in the league with worse records then us. So even if we lost all six of the games left this season we will have next to no chance of "Our" pick becoming a low lottery pick.

I want to see them in the playoffs because I enjoy watching Jazz basketball.

This is a terrible year to have 2 lottery picks. If the NBA does lock out then a lot of the top fresh, soph and juniors will stay in college and wait a year to come to the NBA. Which would make a potentially weak draft even weaker.

This is a terrible year to have 2 lottery picks. If the NBA does lock out then a lot of the top fresh, soph and juniors will stay in college and wait a year to come to the NBA. Which would make a potentially weak draft even weaker.

Completely agree that this is a weak draft, but we could still come out with 2 studs. Either we pick really well, have the right guys slide, or use those 2 picks to
move up and get the guy we really want.

Imagine a Kanter/Barnes + Kemba Walker rookie class in Utah. You wouldn't be a little excited about that?

The competitive nature of the sports fan is coming out.

I want the picks too, but it's still hard to lose. When my Bucaneers won a few meaningless games a season ago it cost us a stud in Suh.
Looking back I'd much rather have him for 10+ years, than those 2 wins at the end of the season.

Remind me. What were the records of the Lions and Bucs last year?

Lions beat the Bucs in Tampa last year ;-)
Bucs had a better season overall, but the Lions looked great ending the season.

Suh's great play will make Buc fans envious for years to come.

Are you making this up or something? There are no "Lions" that play basketball. And you are thinking of the Milwaukee "Bucks", you spelled that wrong.

You are funny.

I want them to make the playoffs because I believe playoff games provide valuable experience for young players. I doubt favors stands a chance against the likes of Tim Duncan. But playing against a future hall of famer and arguably the best power forward of all time in a playoff type atmosphere is a chance for him to grow and develop his game even further.

I think really only the NJ lotto pick will make a difference to the Jazz during the next couple of years. It's hard to say that getting the 12th or 13th pick is really much better than getting the 15th or 16th pick. We've got a pretty full roster and the cap room is opening up a bit.

If the Jazz get momentum ending this year, and a nice talent to add next year, it could be a strong team.

Completely agree that this is a weak draft, but we could still come out with 2 studs. Either we pick really well, have the right guys slide, or use those 2 picks to
move up and get the guy we really want.

Imagine a Kanter/Barnes + Kemba Walker rookie class in Utah. You wouldn't be a little excited about that?

Didn't say that. I would be excited. But I would probably be almost as excited with one of them.

I want two picks. I hope the Jazz gel and lose a bunch of close ones to good teams, and barely miss the playoffs.

I've always wanted the Jazz to make the playoffs. Just to see 4+ more games alone, but also because I believe in the theory that winning breeds more winning. That being said the nice consolation is getting that extra pick.

So we owe the Wolves a pick. At what point/pick would we have to give it up. It would be nice not having that obligation going forward in what is perceived to be a weak draft.