What's new

Why does everyone suddenly want to make the playoffs so badly?

He listed forty-eight players (48). I estimate four of them have been impact players. Injury or not, the fact is 8.25% is not a good percentage to bank on.

And more than half are or will be very good role players? What's your definition of very good role player? Brewer? He's a decent role player. You'd want to tank the season for Ronnie Brewer? Let's ask that question. Jazz have two options: make the playoffs, or sign Ronnie Brewer. Which do you take?

4 is about right if you're talking truly impact players. By my count, that's Jefferson, Maggette, Bryant, Stojakovic. I suppose Murphy could make a slight case. Some of the young guys look promising, but young guys always do.

Owwwwwwwwwwww! For the love of all that is good in this world! Why is this a discussion? The only reason to not make the playoffs is because we get an extra pick, and as it has been mentioned above very few good players get picked at are spot. I don't care any more about getting reped! Anyone who doesn't want to make the playoffs because we will get swept is weak minded and dumb!

Owwwwwwwwwwww! For the love of all that is good in this world! Why is this a discussion? The only reason to not make the playoffs is because we get an extra pick, and as it has been mentioned above very few good players get picked at are spot. I don't care any more about getting reped! Anyone who doesn't want to make the playoffs because we will get swept is weak minded and dumb!

others are thinking it, just saying.

4 is about right if you're talking truly impact players. By my count, that's Jefferson, Maggette, Bryant, Stojakovic. I suppose Murphy could make a slight case. Some of the young guys look promising, but young guys always do.

Yeah, those are the four.

A few others are open for debate. Ridnour has been a starter. Collison an important role player. Croshere had one or two years of big time play. Etan Thomas could have been if not for his feud with Haywood as well as his enlarged heart (I think that's what it was). Corliss Williamson was another that was close. He won several sixth man awards if memory serves.

It's a stretch most anybody else to put "very good" and "NBA" together.

Completely agree that this is a weak draft, but we could still come out with 2 studs. Either we pick really well, have the right guys slide, or use those 2 picks to
move up and get the guy we really want.

Imagine a Kanter/Barnes + Kemba Walker rookie class in Utah. You wouldn't be a little excited about that?

Agree. Or the Jazz keep the NJ pick and trade the #12 and next year's GS pick to a team needing to dump a good starting wing in order to clear cap space.

Looking at the schedule, I don't give the Jazz much of a shot at the playoffs. Next three at Houston, Memphis and OKC. I wouldn't be surprised to see Utah drop all of those. Then Utah has a pretty tough schedule to finish out the season, including 2 against the Lakers.

Thanks for nailing this. Ihave no idea what his point has been since he began these rants. More than half the players have been or will be very good role players at worst. His argument is fail x 1000000

And with perhaps the worst bench in the league, the Jazz could use some quality backups. AK is gone, Okur will be gone next season (if he even plays). Fes hasn't panned out. Favors and Millsap have the PF position covered; likewise at PG with Harris and Watson. So perhaps add a young big like Kanter to backup Jefferson. Then draft a wing, or use the #12 as a trade chip. If the offer is good enough, throw in next year's GS pick (just like we did to get Jefferson). Under the new CBA, there will be teams looking to dump veterans. Jazz will likely have the cap room and assets to make a trade.

And with perhaps the worst bench in the league, the Jazz could use some quality backups. AK is gone, Okur will be gone next season (if he even plays). Fes hasn't panned out. Favors and Millsap have the PF position covered; likewise at PG with Harris and Watson. So perhaps add a young big like Kanter to backup Jefferson. Then draft a wing, or use the #12 as a trade chip. If the offer is good enough, throw in next year's GS pick (just like we did to get Jefferson). Under the new CBA, there will be teams looking to dump veterans. Jazz will likely have the cap room and assets to make a trade.

Don't be so illogical. Don't say "AK is gone" and then say Watson is going to keep the PG position nailed down.

Don't be so illogical. Don't say "AK is gone" and then say Watson is going to keep the PG position nailed down.

Watson is under contract for next year. AK is an UFA. So maybe AK is re-signed. Maybe Watson becomes the 3rd-string PG after the Jazz draft Jimmer. No I can't foresee what's going to happen. But unless the Jazz need scoring out of their backup PG, I think Earl does a pretty good job. And AK's biggest fan in the organization passed away 2 years ago. The Jazz were actively trying to trade AK at the deadline (that was the topic of KOC's orginal call to NJ). So I think it's logical to say AK will be gone and Watson will be the 2nd-string PG.

Watson is an unrestricted free agent and not exactly a great shooter. So I would not exactly say that the PG position is covered.

I'd be surprised if the Jazz don't keep Watson. He pushes the ball up-court very well, is a good assist-man, AND plays defense. Not a real consistent scorer, but then he's a backup, not a starter...
I'm beginning to think it's time to let AK walk myself, or keep him at a low price as a backup. His constant fragility does get annoying... Evans, Hayward, and Miles appear to be our future wings, unless we get a keeper in the draft. With Elson, Fesenko, and Okur on the edge, I'd think we try and get a big with that NJ pick, assuming there's one worthy...

I agree. Jazz will keep Watson. A vet PG who comes cheap and can start if needed and win games.

I would imagine it's up to Watson whether he spends another year in Utah. Remember, he's making the minimum this year. If a team comes and gives him a 50% pay raise, which would be about 2 million, why wouldn't he take that?

I would imagine it's up to Watson whether he spends another year in Utah. Remember, he's making the minimum this year. If a team comes and gives him a 50% pay raise, which would be about 2 million, why wouldn't he take that?

Plus when Watson signed here he was coming to a team that was a playoff contender and playing behind one of the best PG's in the NBA. Not sure he is interested in going through a rebuild at this point in his carrier. He is prob looking for a ring with his next signing

Im not going to peruse this garbage of a thread...

Just gonna say:

Because thats what these guys are paid to do....win.