What's new

Why I'm disappointed with the draft...and a possible way to fix it

Chris

It's mostly what we didn't get that bothers me. We still need a legit backup center behind Gobert. And we still need a legit 3/4 behind Hayward, unless the plan is to use a combo of Burks, Hood, and Hayward at the 2/3, which I guess would be fine, barring injury. *knock on wood*

Doesn't look like Lyles can be the 3/4 I wanted out of this draft, and he certainly can't be the 5 I felt (and feel) we absolutely need. And why we drafted another point guard, I'll never know. This draft very well could be a shining example of why you don't necessarily take BPA. People love that strategy for some reason but here we are. As far as I'm concerned, you draft for need unless there's a glaringly awesome player that's sliding for some stupid reason.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I have a hard time believing that DL and company would have screwed the pooch this much at the Draft if they didn't have other plans for free agency. To be fair, I think all of the players the Jazz really wanted were all selected before them and trading up was probably near impossible. But I'm hoping the Lyles pick negates any attempt at reuniting with Paul Millsap. It would've been a bad idea before the Draft and now it's REALLY a bad idea.

So hopefully DL can acquire good backup players in free agency to address the two biggest holes on our roster. Perhaps a deal to bring Pleiss over is in the works. I will assume that DL knows what he's doing for now and contain my ire for the time being.

I normally really like your posts. Very solid, all the time, except this time.

We have no glaring holes that are patently obvious and we should go BPA all the way. Not to mention DL is not an idiot.

I never said DL is an idiot. In fact, I mentioned that I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until the free agency dust settles. I do feel we have the two holes in the roster that I mentioned.

Should Hayward's legs give out on him on the eve of what will likely be a playoff berth next year, having someone who could give him solid minutes off the bench would be a big asset. Using him frequently throughout the year would avoid the issue we saw with Hayward this season entirely.

And Jack Cooley is not the answer at the 5. We can do better.

It's mostly what we didn't get that bothers me. We still need a legit backup center behind Gobert. And we still need a legit 3/4 behind Hayward, unless the plan is to use a combo of Burks, Hood, and Hayward at the 2/3, which I guess would be fine, barring injury. *knock on wood*

Doesn't look like Lyles can be the 3/4 I wanted out of this draft, and he certainly can't be the 5 I felt (and feel) we absolutely need. And why we drafted another point guard, I'll never know. This draft very well could be a shining example of why you don't necessarily take BPA. People love that strategy for some reason but here we are. As far as I'm concerned, you draft for need unless there's a glaringly awesome player that's sliding for some stupid reason.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I have a hard time believing that DL and company would have screwed the pooch this much at the Draft if they didn't have other plans for free agency. To be fair, I think all of the players the Jazz really wanted were all selected before them and trading up was probably near impossible. But I'm hoping the Lyles pick negates any attempt at reuniting with Paul Millsap. It would've been a bad idea before the Draft and now it's REALLY a bad idea.

So hopefully DL can acquire good backup players in free agency to address the two biggest holes on our roster. Perhaps a deal to bring Pleiss over is in the works. I will assume that DL knows what he's doing for now and contain my ire for the time being.

2 Things:

#1- I think you and quite a few members on this board need to make peace with the fact that it might not be possible for Utah to fix each and every issue with this roster this offseason. We're still very early into the grand plan. Not only that, there's legit contenders with roster holes each off season. Its not like you can snap your fingers during the draft and free agency and all of your needs are automatically met.

#2- Dennis Lindsay and Q. Snyder are smarter than you and have earned our trust. Sit back, relax, and try to enjoy watching this team being built.

Favors will play center for the 15 minutes Gobert is out. DL also acted like Pleiss was still in play during the last interview.

I never said DL is an idiot. In fact, I mentioned that I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until the free agency dust settles. I do feel we have the two holes in the roster that I mentioned.

Should Hayward's legs give out on him on the eve of what will likely be a playoff berth next year, having someone who could give him solid minutes off the bench would be a big asset. Using him frequently throughout the year would avoid the issue we saw with Hayward this season entirely.

And Jack Cooley is not the answer at the 5. We can do better.
Hayward will have plenty of guys to give him a break this season. Burks, Hood, Ingles, Millsap and even Trey Lyles played SF in college. At the 4 we have Favors, Booker and Trey Lyles. As for PG we have a developing Exum and a poor performing Burke, upgrading the backup at that position was the biggest area of need IMO. You asked for a 3/4 in your OP and that is exactly what Trey Lyles is. So what exactly is it you were asking for? I still see backup 5 as our biggest area of need. But with Favors able to play that spot and having 2 guys that can play the 4 I think they did address that a bit in a round about way. I think in FA they will look to sign a legit backup 5.
I am starting to love this draft the more I look into it.

A. Sign DeMarre Carroll - Carroll, Hayward, Hood, Burks, Jingles and Millsap is more than enough coverage for the wing through the season and Carroll, Hayward, Hood, Burks and (maybe) Jingles is a very solid group for a playoff rotation.

B. They can still try to get something done with Tomic or Pleiss, OR they could bring in an undrafted rookie to compete with Cooley - Jaiteh, Alexander and Upshaw are all available if the Jazz want to invest.

C. You always take BPA in the draft. Most draft picks fail. You don't pick a guy because he "fills a hole in the roster" - you pick a guy because he has the ability to play at a high level in the NBA. It sucks that they missed out on Winslow and Turner, but nobody was trading back. You pick your highest rated player and move on. Not every issue gets fixed every offseason.

Unless we trade some one, I really don't think that we will be signing a FA wing. Hayward, Burks, Hood and Exum will be able to handle with spot minutes for Millsap or Ingles.

A. Sign DeMarre Carroll - Carroll, Hayward, Hood, Burks, Jingles and Millsap is more than enough coverage for the wing through the season and Carroll, Hayward, Hood, Burks and (maybe) Jingles is a very solid group for a playoff rotation.

Carroll is not going to sign anywhere unless he's a starter, and I don't see that happening with the jazz

I'm a little confused?? Who exactly should we have drafted to fill either need? I guess Dekker could be a 3/4 but u don't pass on Lyles for Dekker. As far as I know there were no other centers worth taking at 12. Ask the trailblazers what they think about taking need over best player available. Lol. Dude. Lyles is pretty good and a talented player. Don't forget he was a top ten recruit then forced to play out of position on one of the deepest teams ever and didn't get an opportunity to show what he could do.

Lyles could prove to be very valuable if when we become contenders. He will help us match up against small ball in the playoffs and actually cause matchup problems for the other teams small ball. He's fluid enough to guard smaller bigs on the perimeter and will over power the likes of Draymond Green and take bigger 4's or even 5's off the dribble if we go small.

Another thing to consider is he played sf for Kentucky he has good enough handles to play some at the three and has wing skills. Locke even mentioned that from off the dribble pull-ups he shot 44% or something like that. Lyles is a perfect fit for this new age NBA. Get on board before the train passes u by. Lyles has more upside the u realize.

Jingles exists, and as the offense became more refined his contributions were far more valuable. We have two centers and I think Lyles could play in a pinch for 3 or 4 minutes in a game if needed. It isn't like there is a raft of talented third string centers in the NBA that are going to take him to the woodshed. If things get bad we can pick up a Plumlee at the Wal-Mart (as long as he isn't wearing a Confederate flag.)

Quite frankly, at some point we are going to need to run with the current squad for a season to completely quantify the holes that we have, because with the age of our team and their inexperience playing together, I'm not sure we really know what we have completely.

I normally really like your posts. Very solid, all the time, except this time.

We have no glaring holes that are patently obvious and we should go BPA all the way. Not to mention DL is not an idiot.

No glaring holes, only a gaping one at point guard.

Keep in mind that the Jazz's fortunes really rely on Gobert and Exum developing. This will take a couple more years as it is, so this is the time horizon to put all the pieces together. Look how long it took for Favors and Hayward to reach their current level.