What's new

Why I'm disappointed with the draft...and a possible way to fix it

Now that we drafted Lyles it probably is. I'm not even sure the backup we got would ever see any minutes outside of injuires.

Most teams didn't even use true centers as backups during the playoffs.
I see it more as an insurance/development need. I'm not sure a guy would play unless he was impressive. I think if the guy was Tomic he would play. If it's someone less maybe not except in blowouts. And I don't like just following the trends of the NBA. Make teams matchup with our big athletic lineup like the Lakers did with Odom, Gasol and Bynum.

I find it somewhat contradictory to say "I don't like this draft because we didn't fill a void, but there is still FA". I fully expect us to make a D. Booker type signing to clean up the area/areas we are missing. This person doesn't have to be an all-star by any means, more or less someone who can fit within the system.

I see it more as an insurance/development need. I'm not sure a guy would play unless he was impressive. I think if the guy was Tomic he would play. If it's someone less maybe not except in blowouts. And I don't like just following the trends of the NBA. Make teams matchup with our big athletic lineup like the Lakers did with Odom, Gasol and Bynum.

Their backup center was DJ Mbenja

Whoever it is, they need to be able to get solid minutes during the regular season without hurting the team. Gobert and Favors MUST be healthy and fresh for the playoffs if the Jazz are going to make any noise whatsoever. Tomic, Pleiss, rookie, free agent. It doesn't matter. As long as we can keep Gobert and Favors fresh then there's a chance. It's a war of attrition. Stay healthy in the regular season and win enough games to make the playoffs, then let your top players try to take over in the playoffs.

Their backup center was DJ Mbenja
Bynum and Gasol both played minutes at C for them. And they did have one that could fill in for injuries/foul trouble/rest if needed. A guy like that would be fine. I'd prefer someone better. I don't think Cooley qualifies. I just don't see him as a long term NBA player.

Bynum and Gasol both played minutes at C for them. And they did have one that could fill in for injuries/foul trouble/rest if needed. A guy like that would be fine. I'd prefer someone better. I don't think Cooley qualifies. I just don't see him as a long term NBA player.

Favors and Gobert can both play minutes at the C for us.....

Favors and Gobert can both play minutes at the C for us.....

My beef is that Favors seemed to play so much better at the 4 last season, and that's what I want him working towards this off-season, you know? I feel like if he tries to retain some mass in order to play the 5 in stretches, it'll weaken his ability to dominate at the 4.

I don't want Rudy ever playing more than 32mpg, really. We need that dude healthy as long as possible.

Now that we have Lyles, it definitely seems like Favors will be getting a bulk of those backup 5 minutes-- but I would have much preferred keeping Book as the backup, drafting a wing like Winslow, and picking up a good backup for Rud.

I think Lyles was the best possible pick at the 12 spot.

Now that we drafted Lyles it probably is. I'm not even sure the backup we got would ever see any minutes outside of injuires.

Most teams didn't even use true centers as backups during the playoffs.

True centers and pure PGs have a place, but not enough to require their own backups.

My beef is that Favors seemed to play so much better at the 4 last season, and that's what I want him working towards this off-season, you know? I feel like if he tries to retain some mass in order to play the 5 in stretches, it'll weaken his ability to dominate at the 4.

I don't want Rudy ever playing more than 32mpg, really. We need that dude healthy as long as possible.

Now that we have Lyles, it definitely seems like Favors will be getting a bulk of those backup 5 minutes-- but I would have much preferred keeping Book as the backup, drafting a wing like Winslow, and picking up a good backup for Rud.

Favors is a good 5 and has and will always see minutes there. The Jazz needed another rotation big going forward and hopefully they got one.

Yeah, he isn't great vs true centers who are starting caliber.

Against most true back-up centers or PF's playing center.....

Good backup centers just cost so much $$$ to the point it's not really worth it for our roster.
You might be right. Like I said I'm not sold on them needing anything at this point. If they do I see backup C as the one thing they might look for.

I was disappointed in the draft too, so I feel ya. And then everyone almost immediately resigned themselves and seemed to be willing themselves to feel better about the pick. I resisted them and let myself continue to feel disappointment. Eventually, the well reasoned arguments finally sunk in and I could genuinely accept that there was little chance to move up in the draft. I was irritated since DL said that we needed to use our multiple assets to move up and then didn't - like he'd mislead me. But eventually I realized there really was no opportunity to move up. I'm able to see that now.

I do agree that the Jazz needed a backup 5 more than a backup 4 (3rd string no less), but on the positive side we do already have Pliess (I've given up on Tomic). Pliess should be a good backup - he's 7'2" and I read he has a wide body. His initial weight on DX was 220, but I read a more recent report that said his weight was up around 260. Is this report authentic? Shrug. But there's reason for hope I think.

I don't think the Jazz are desperate for a backup 3. The Jazz have plenty of wings (I'd probably have been disappointed if Devin Booker was selected too). And, given the fact that Lyles played the 3 at Kentucky, means the Jazz have someone who can play the 3 behind Hayward if need be. I've scrutinized Lyles and I do like him so much better than Dekker. Oh, man. Lyles was not high risk / high reward (Turner), but at 12 he was BPA. And he'll be good and really helpful. He's been hard to comp but I"m hoping his outside shooting develops like Ariza's developed - his body reminds of Ariza anyway. I also hope his defense develops too. He has the tools necessary to be genuinely hopeful. He gives the Jazz a promising prospect - and likely to not bust.

I am at peace with the selection - finally. But if you're not at peace with it then don't feel pressured to be. B!tch all you want, B1tch. We at Jazzfanz can be quite caustic at times, sure, but we have the freedom to be - it's a ****ing online sports forum. But I empathize with your position and at this moment I'm choosing to be understanding and supportive, rather than caustic. You're welcome.

I think they try to bring Pleiss over.

If they can't, IDK, they might sign some tall scrub.

Don't we already have one of those, whose name is Jack Cooley? I just think we could use an upgrade. I do hope bringing Pleiss over this summer before Summer League is in the cards.

Also, Bentley, I hear ya brother. Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

Quin says they will play Lyles at the 5. That gives the Jazz three centers all with standing reaches over 9'. Not sure why they need more than that. Add Cooley as tough guy who will board give guys bruises. If they find somebody else they like, great, but not necessary.

Favors is a good 5 and has and will always see minutes there. The Jazz needed another rotation big going forward and hopefully they got one.

agreed. And I think he'll train more for the minutes at the "4" anyway... and that he won't have to change his body for minutes at the "5" in this system. (I do believe that he was encouraged to add weight in the old post-heavy offense.)