What's new

Why I'm disappointed with the draft...and a possible way to fix it

A while back, I thought Tobias Harris would be a decent free agent target for the Jazz, but with Lyles now on board that need is covered.

I also think Hanlan could be considered better than Burke within a matter of months.

Solid points by many who've responded. I do see the value that Lyles brings to the team. It seems like the arc of the NBA right now is versatility, not small ball per se. Small ball is just a trend. Lyles does appear to bring versatility, which is why he'll be a good fit on the Jazz.

I did read one critique of him that questioned his weight, which I imagine he'll have to address if he's going to play some minutes at the 3. So I will, as I mentioned in the first post, wait to see how free agency goes before being any more critical. I do think it might be time to cut bait with Trey Burke. Either way, I do look forward to seeing our two rooks in Summer League.

Why? As a backup plan we have Cotton, I don't think Cotton is a downgrade from Burke.

FWIW, a lot of folks back here in Providence are familiar with Hanlan. BC is right up the road. And universally, everybody agreed that there is no way he is a better pg then Cotton. Listening to them, it ain't even close. Here I am concerned about Bryce sticking in the NBA, and some of the guys back here expect Cotton to be your starting pg before next season is over, lol.

Well, that's gotta be a homer stretch, but 4 PG's is not going to happen. I gotta have more confidence in Bryce and believe he will make the roster. The knowledgable folks back here are firm in their opinion that Bryce is just flat out better then Hanlan and will easily beat him out of a roster spot.

Why? As a backup plan we have Cotton, I don't think Cotton is a downgrade from Burke.

I'm just saying Burke isn't necessarily expendable as a result of drafting Hanlan. I'm not sure Hanlan is even a point guard in the NBA. If anything, the guy who may make Trey expendable is already on the roster in Cotton.

Interesting comparison between Hanlan and Cotton. Very similar numbers playing in the same conference. Both played huge minutes and were big scorers.

Hanlan's advantage is that he's a lot bigger at 6'5" to Cotton's 6'1". I believe that gives him a fairly significant upper hand with Snyder simply due to the flexibility it gives the Jazz, as the league is trending toward versatility and it obviously matters to Quin.

Interesting comparison between Hanlan and Cotton. Very similar numbers playing in the same conference. Both played huge minutes and were big scorers.

Hanlan's advantage is that he's a lot bigger at 6'5" to Cotton's 6'1". I believe that gives him a fairly significant upper hand with Snyder simply due to the flexibility it gives the Jazz, as the league is trending toward versatility and it obviously matters to Quin.
Yeah, that might be the most interesting of the training camp battles, because I'm not sure I see us going into the season with Exum, Cotton, and Hanlan as our PG's.

I think Cotton plays bigger than 6'1".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=75&v=rGqaou_y9PM

For some reason I can't put my finger on, that was my favorite version on YouTube. . .

And we still need a legit 3/4 behind Hayward, unless the plan is to use a combo of Burks, Hood, and Hayward at the 2/3, which I guess would be fine, barring injury. *knock on wood*

We also have ingles and lilsap who have shown that they can be solid backups.
5 solid wings is enough imo

Cotton is not even 6-0, probably closer to 5-10. Looked it up -- measured 5-11.25 without shoes.

If the Jazz are in the market for a defensive 3/4, Al Farouq Aminu is an obvious choice. His skills at the 3 are undoubtedly more proven than last year. High character, high effort player - anyone who watched the Rockets vs Mavs series saw that Aminu is worth several million more than what he was being paid. He doesn't turn 25 til September, probably looking for a Trevor Booker type of deal.

I think Cotton plays bigger than 6'1".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=75&v=rGqaou_y9PM

For some reason I can't put my finger on, that was my favorite version on YouTube. . .

Love that play. Best play of the year probably. Thanks also posting.

Also teh boobs I that chick that showed the play are fantastic

Bring over pleiss or tomic or sign a decent backup 5 (like that dude on new Orleans whose name I always forget) and let the mutha ****ing cake bake

Maybe not. But I still see it as our biggest need. I don't think this team has a lot of weaknesses besides age.

Now that we drafted Lyles it probably is. I'm not even sure the backup we got would ever see any minutes outside of injuires.

Most teams didn't even use true centers as backups during the playoffs.