What's new

Will The Jazz Make Any Significant Trades?

Do The Jazz Make a Significant Trade?

• Total voters
I think yes, but not for a star. Rather, Utah has capspace and some enticing players, so I'm thinking another dump or consolidation trade to open up a spot and bring back a rental facilitator. Utah has a good roster on paper, but is lacking for running the point until one of the youngin's shows the proper chops.

Where are the creation and ball movement hubs (plural)? Our frontcourt can be productive and efficient if they have guards creating some churn but putting all of that on Clarkson is a crazy, crazy big ask.
That's the weakness of the starting lineup, sure, but you're gaining defense and maximizing Sexton+Clarkson. Puts a fair amount of pressure on Markkanen to handle more of the creation load - where he needs more opportunities.

But again, as noted, sliding Dunn or THT in for Ochai could also work, but you lose some shooting/spacing and defense.

Think the Blazers are trying to take a page out of Danny's book where they sit on Lillard all off-season hoping more teams come in. Danny will be that team, but he won't bid against himself like Minnesota did. He will do just enough to beat Miami and we will have Dame at a good price.
I think they're both still undecided but using the #3 pick on another smaller guard indicates that they could be ready to rebuild. They have a decent young core in place now: Scoot (19), Sharpe (20), Murray (22), Little (23), Simons (24), Thybulle (26).

I saw on twitter yesterday that their front office isn't that high on Herro so that complicates any potential trade with Miami. And I don't think that he really fits with the young guys that they have assuming they're comfortable with Scoot / Simons / Sharpe as their perimeter trio going forward.

The odds for Dame's next team in Vegas right now: Miami (+400), Brooklyn (+450), New York (+475), Phoenix (+600), Philadelphia (+750)

Of those teams I think only Miami, Phoenix, and Philadelphia make sense. I don't see the Knicks getting involved with Brunson already on the roster and I don't think he'd be happy about being sent to a young team in Brooklyn.

So you'd have to beat out:

Miami: Package built around Herro / Only picks they can offer are 2027/2029 or 2028/2030
Philly: Package built around Maxey / Only pick they can offer is 2029 or 2030
Phoenix: Package built around Ayton / Can't offer any FRPs

A sleeper I could see making a move for him is Boston.

They could potentially offer something like:
Robert Williams / Malcolm Brogdon / Payton Pritchard
2024 FRP / 2026 FRP / 2029 FRP + Swaps in 2025 / 2027

Depth would be shot but Dame - Brown - Tatum - Porzingis - Horford is super good

I think they're both still undecided but using the #3 pick on another smaller guard indicates that they could be ready to rebuild. They have a decent young core in place now: Scoot (19), Sharpe (20), Murray (22), Little (23), Simons (24), Thybulle (26).

I saw on twitter yesterday that their front office isn't that high on Herro so that complicates any potential trade with Miami. And I don't think that he really fits with the young guys that they have assuming they're comfortable with Scoot / Simons / Sharpe as their perimeter trio going forward.

The odds for Dame's next team in Vegas right now: Miami (+400), Brooklyn (+450), New York (+475), Phoenix (+600), Philadelphia (+750)

Of those teams I think only Miami, Phoenix, and Philadelphia make sense. I don't see the Knicks getting involved with Brunson already on the roster and I don't think he'd be happy about being sent to a young team in Brooklyn.

So you'd have to beat out:

Miami: Package built around Herro / Only picks they can offer are 2027/2029 or 2028/2030
Philly: Package built around Maxey / Only pick they can offer is 2029 or 2030
Phoenix: Package built around Ayton / Can't offer any FRPs

A sleeper I could see making a move for him is Boston.

They could potentially offer something like:
Robert Williams / Malcolm Brogdon / Payton Pritchard
2024 FRP / 2026 FRP / 2029 FRP + Swaps in 2025 / 2027
The Miami Heat package is *** and as long as it stands as the best package Utah can easily beat it.

The issue is that I'm sure they view Sexton as a neutral to negative asset, so he isnt doing much for them either, but he's cheaper than Herro so it's less of a thing they have to deal with.

'Sexton/Olynyk/2 first and then bargain hard on the rookie deal to include. Obviously they are going to be all over Hendricks, but try and talk them off that and give up Ochai or Sensabaugh.

The Miami Heat package is *** and as long as it stands as the best package Utah can easily beat it.

The issue is that I'm sure they view Sexton as a neutral to negative asset, so he isnt doing much for them either, but he's cheaper than Herro so it's less of a thing they have to deal with.

'Sexton/Olynyk/2 first and then bargain hard on the rookie deal to include. Obviously they are going to be all over Hendricks, but try and talk them off that and give up Ochai or Sensabaugh.
The issue is I doubt they'd have any interest in Sexton at all with their current group of guards. I don't see anyway a deal gets done without Hendricks being included tbh.

Lilliard makes way too much money, and for the last 2 years, he's already becoming injury prone. The Jazz have a young roster, so adding an old expensive point guard legit makes no sense. It's not going to happen, and it shouldn't.

I'm thinking more something completely off the radar rather than some of the players being mentioned already. Remember how Boston traded for Kyrie and nobody was connecting them to him at the time? Something like this... find out who the secretly available star is... and make a good offer that gets accepted before the sharks come and make you raise the offer. Garland kind of fits that box but his name got released in the rumor mill already... especially since Zanik already seems to have exceptional working relationship with the Cavs, if there is even a hint of him being available we should be exploring that possibility.

Whatever you think of who should/shouldn't start, I would be willing to bet my life that the Jazz arent going to start both Sexton and Clarkson.
Because one of them is getting moved if JC doesn't just walk,and he will be s/t probably. Sexton also has little trade value as is, but might at the deadline if he started up until then.
We are not going to put our best 5 on the court when we are not even sure who that is either. THT is not starting at the 1 imo not full time

I wonder if the Lakers screw the pooch and arent able to bring D'Lo back if they would trade for Sexton in exchange for removing all protections from the pick they traded us last year + Maxwell Lewis.

Utah was linked to Lewis in a lot of mocks at 28.

I wonder if the Lakers screw the pooch and arent able to bring D'Lo back if they would trade for Sexton in exchange for removing all protections from the pick they traded us last year + Maxwell Lewis.

Utah was linked to Lewis in a lot of mocks at 28.
imo noone is trading anything of value for a guy who has not played much at all in 2 seasons and is paid that much.
Sexton will be here at least part of this season, unless he is part of a larger trade for a superstar, and there is next to no chance we are doing that, unless Boston is willing to let go of Brown

I would groom THT to be an interesting 2nd unit player. He can be a backup PG, an athlete/scorer off the bench. I think THT would do well in a focused role.

I'm thinking more something completely off the radar rather than some of the players being mentioned already. Remember how Boston traded for Kyrie and nobody was connecting them to him at the time? Something like this... find out who the secretly available star is... and make a good offer that gets accepted before the sharks come and make you raise the offer. Garland kind of fits that box but his name got released in the rumor mill already... especially since Zanik already seems to have exceptional working relationship with the Cavs, if there is even a hint of him being available we should be exploring that possibility.
Trae Young could be that guy, IMO.

Jazz have a full roster right now. I can see them making a two or three for one trade if they get back someone that fits the recipe for the kak.

We will make a significant trade if the right one comes available. DA knows our window is close to opening and that we need at least 1 big fish. But he also knows its not closing anytime soon and he doesnt need to force/rush. However DA has always been fast at making moves, so unless he has his target set specifically (say on Luka), he will go to anywhere where there is blood in the water.