What's new

Will The Jazz Make Any Significant Trades?

Do The Jazz Make a Significant Trade?

• Total voters
He just won MVP.

I'm assuming the framework of a deal would be something like: Kessler, Agbaji, Hendricks, George and 4/5 FRPs.

What the ****? Lol no way and if that was the price we’d obviously pass.

One the appeals of adding Kessler would mean we attach less picks due to how valuable he is.

I get where you’re coming from, but I think it would be a mistake to prioritize the assets and cap space it would take to get Joel Embiid. I feel like the Jazz can build a better team by keeping Kessler and trying to get other high level skill players to team up with Markkanen. Embiid, no matter how talented he is, is a huge risk to make that bet on. Thankfully, I’m pretty sure that DA would make the best deal he can if it comes to that.
And i see what you are saying but A: we dont know how costly embiid would be (we can only guess)
B: I love kessler but he had one really good season during a rookie tank year and has some of the same limitations that gobert had which isn't ideal in the playoffs. Kessler could be a bit of fools gold. Lauri too for that matter since he has only had one great year (though I buy both of them. I have been wrong before though and am not an expert)

Tanking is out of the table with this roster so we have two paths to choose from.

1) Make a competitive push. That would require at least 1 more upgrade since we need a guy who can create on an elite level, be it for himself and/or others.

2) Build up patiently for one more year. Increase the value of our roster by developing the young guys (who we have boatloads of) and getting the most out of vets like Sexton and Collins. See where we can get, and adapt on the go.

Knowing DA he isnt locked into either path. He wont force #1 if the correct guy or value isnt there. But he wont abandon the idea either.

I still think we must consolidate our backcourt. If JC opted in to get traded that sort of resolves it, but if he wants to stay then at least one of Sexton/Dunn/THT/Ochai has to go.

Ochai can play 2nd unit SF but if we keep all 4 of those I dont know how George/Brice are seeing the court this season apart from injury replacement gigs.

What is with this MVP-obsession? Embiid is a great player, but there are quite a few players I'd rather trade for than him.
Ah, so you think MVP's are easy to win and generally mvp's aren't all that good. Interesting theory. I think most folks are pretty obsessed with mvp's. Look up the list of nba mvp's and you will probably find that there are some pretty good players on that list. Which might be surprising to you.
By the way I agree that there are guys I would rather trade for. I would love to get Giannis, jokic, tatum, luka or curry for example. If you were to suggest the jazz trade for any of those dudes I would be down AF.

I can just see posters saying "we shouldn't trade for Jokic because his teams never go far in the playoffs and he sucks on defense" and "I dont want the jazz to get giannis cause he can shoot and you cant win chip with your best player not being able to shoot" if those trades were suggested a few years ago. Along with "it would cost too much and we have Gobert and spida and we just had the best record in the league. It would decimate our team to acquire them" (this probably would have been lol cause I was a cake bakin son of a bitch)

I can just see posters saying "we shouldn't trade for Jokic because his teams never go far in the playoffs and he sucks on defense" and "I dont want the jazz to get giannis cause he can shoot and you cant win chip with your best player not being able to shoot" if those trades were suggested a few years ago. Along with "it would cost too much and we have Gobert and spida and we just had the best record in the league. It would decimate our team to acquire them" (this probably would have been lol cause I was a cake bakin son of a bitch)
Sir it's the cost to get them. If you have to spend all your assets to get a MVP you're just putting that player in a worse position than they were already in.

How many MVP trades have there ever been that led to a championship? The cost is just too much unless your team is perfectly stacked to where you can trade a lot and still have a lot left over.

Sir it's the cost to get them. If you have to spend all your assets to get a MVP you're just putting that player in a worse position than they were already in.

How many MVP trades have there ever been that led to a championship? The cost is just too much unless your team is perfectly stacked to where you can trade a lot and still have a lot left over.
Which is why the current setup for Utah is basically perfect- they have a lot of assets and if someone like Luka becomes available, we and maybe OKC are the only ones positioned to give Dallas a bag and still have enough left to make a championship run. And if a superstar doesn't become available we can just continue to build w/the assets we have. Win/win.

Ya the cost is a good reason to not want to make the trade. If its too high. Reasons like high usage or he hasn't won a chip yet or kessler is so good though or something are not good reasons imo.

regarding high usage. Its a pet peeve of mine seeing people complain about guys being high usage when they are superstars. You WANT your superstar to be high usage lol. Imagine bulls fans being like "jordan is a ball hog. We need to change his game" or Jokic, or lebron, or wade, or kobe, or steph, etc etc etc etc. high usage for a superstar is almost never a negative (im sure there are rare exceptions).
I agree with you, I should clarify my original statement: I’m concerned that he’s going to be very injury prone the next few years because of his history and his heavy minutes/responsibility on both sides of the court. His talent and having the usage he does isn’t something we should be concerned about

What the ****? Lol no way and if that was the price we’d obviously pass.

One the appeals of adding Kessler would mean we attach less picks due to how valuable he is.

Might still be worth it, as we don't know if any of the new guys will pan out. I would want to at least keep Hendricks, but I'd be okay with the rest.

That wouldn't be the case if most of those assets are picks.

Often. Just in the past decade, more than half of Championships were due to an MVP-level trade/signing. Durant to GSW, Lebron to Miiami, then Cleveland, then LA. Kawhi To Toronto.

Often. Just in the past decade, more than half of Championships were due to an MVP-level trade/signing. Durant to GSW, Lebron to Miiami, then Cleveland, then LA. Kawhi To Toronto.
Brother a trade and signing are two entirely different things.

Kawhi has not won a MVP.

Brother a trade and signing are two entirely different things.

Kawhi has not won a MVP.

Yeah, but if the Jazz simply give up future FRPs + Kessler and rookies who never played for the Jazz, then that basically has the effect of a signing. The core of the team is still all there. I know Kawhi hasn't won MVP, that's why I said MVP-level.