What's new

Will The Jazz Make Any Significant Trades?

Do The Jazz Make a Significant Trade?

• Total voters
I think the next trade and way forward I'm pretty sure is that the Jazz will make a consolidation trade for a facilitator and try to open a spot w/o waiving a player. Utah has intriguing talent at pretty much every position except a dedicated lead/PG. Curious to see how this plays out, but I'm liking how this roster is constructed minus that little thing. Even then, that's a "would be nice" rather than "must have".

When you take a step back and have a look what DA has done in such a short period of time, it’s nothing short of amazing .

When you take a step back and have a look what DA has done in such a short period of time, it’s nothing short of amazing .
No doubt. Some folks think the Jazz got lucky with Kessler, Lauri and Ochai to kick things off talent wise (I'm very high on Ochai still), but luck is simply executing the correct course of action at any point in time and Ainge and Zanick knew exactly what they wanted.

Im sure they would, but I think it would be a mistake. DA should prioritize any other position besides center. Leave Kessler as the starter and find a star wing or guard to go with Lauri & company.
Question is, how many league mvp's do we think Kessler will win in his future?

Typically, I would agree with you. . . I feel like DA has things set up to go after a star this trade deadline or next offseason - however, the new CBA has thrown a wrench into this offseason and there’s a lot of unpredictability about what directions teams are going to go in. If DA gets an opportunity to make a big move for a reduced price (like trading for John Collins) I’m sure he’s going to pursue it.
So you think DA has loaded up to go for a star and will go for a star.......... But not the league mvp

Probably pretty unlikely. But how likely is it that we compete with Lauri/Embiid after we gut our asset base to acquire the latter?

Embiid has been paired with a variety of stars in Philly and they haven't been able to get it done in the playoffs.
What does gut our asset base look like though? If its kessler and 5 picks or something then we still have lots of young talent and still have plenty of picks.

If I’m being honest, it doesn’t matter. The Jazz were a team invested in the wrong places financially with the Gobert/Mitchell pairing and it blew up. They have a great young center at a reasonable price and team control for at least 5+ years. They should focus their limited resources (assets and cap space) on wings and guards.

I’d rather have 22 year old Walker Kessler for the next 5+ years on reasonable contracts, and get a different star instead than spend a crap ton of assets and a huge portion of the salary cap on 29 year old Joel Embiid (with a history of significant injuries) on a max contract.
What would you say if we couldn't get a different star? Would that change your opinion?

Embiid averaged 33.1 points per game last season on good efficiency, 4.3 assists, 1.7 blocks and 10.2 rebounds. Not bad.

What does gut our asset base look like though? If its kessler and 5 picks or something then we still have lots of young talent and still have plenty of picks.
He just won MVP.

I'm assuming the framework of a deal would be something like: Kessler, Agbaji, Hendricks, George and 4/5 FRPs.

Embiid would be incredible, but I would be absolutely terrified to give up the kind of assets needed to get him while paying him the kind of money he’d be making in his age 30+ seasons. The high usage with long injury history is what scares me the most
If harden leaves for not much return and if the sixers think that the window is closing and they agree that he will be making too much money in his 30's and is too high usage and injured then maybe the cost wouldn't be as high as we think though.

regarding high usage. Its a pet peeve of mine seeing people complain about guys being high usage when they are superstars. You WANT your superstar to be high usage lol. Imagine bulls fans being like "jordan is a ball hog. We need to change his game" or Jokic, or lebron, or wade, or kobe, or steph, etc etc etc etc. high usage for a superstar is almost never a negative (im sure there are rare exceptions).

So you think DA has loaded up to go for a star and will go for a star.......... But not the league mvp
A.) I don’t think Embiid is available.

B.) The cost is going to be ridiculously high.

C.) Kessler is way above “functional starter” at the center position with team control for 5+ years.

D.) I think it would be a terrible waste of those resources to trade for any center not named Jokic.

There only certainties now is that we have both all the assets required and all the time we need to make a major trade. If we do nothing for six months, we are very well set for the trade deadline, next off season or even the deadline after that. We don't have to win now and blowing a lot of assets on anything else than a close to perfect opportunity would to me be a much bigger risk than staying put.

What would you say if we couldn't get a different star? Would that change your opinion?
Jimmy Butler - traded 3 times (to Minnesota, Philadelphia and then in a S&T with Miami)

Paul George - traded twice (to OKC and then to the Clippers)

Kyrie Irving - traded twice (first to Boston and then later to the Mavs)

Kevin Durant - traded twice (to Brooklyn and then to Phoenix)

Anthony Davis - forced his way to the Lakers

James Harden - about to be traded for the third time (to Brooklyn, Philly and now the Clippers)

Chris Paul - traded 4/5 times (to the Clippers, then the Rockets, the Thunder, the Suns and now as a cap dump to Golden State)

Donovan Mitchell (traded to the Cavs last year and probably to a different team next year)

Other young All-Star players - Domantas Sabonis, Shai Gilgous-Alexander, Tyrese Halliburton, Lauri Markkanen and (maybe eventually) Mikal Bridges have all been traded at least once in their young careers.

Danny Ainge, Ryan Smith and Will Hardy are changing the narrative about Utah and I believe they will have a couple of opportunities to go get a star player in the next two years - they just need to keep building what they have been and be flexible and ready to strike when the opportunity comes. I’m pretty sure everyone in the NBA knows DA is trading for at least one star player with his haul of assets. The big questions are who and when?

Jimmy Butler - traded 3 times (to Minnesota, Philadelphia and then in a S&T with Miami)

Paul George - traded twice (to OKC and then to the Clippers)

Kyrie Irving - traded twice (first to Boston and then later to the Mavs)

Kevin Durant - traded twice (to Brooklyn and then to Phoenix)

Anthony Davis - forced his way to the Lakers

James Harden - about to be traded for the third time (to Brooklyn, Philly and now the Clippers)

Chris Paul - traded 4/5 times (to the Clippers, then the Rockets, the Thunder, the Suns and now as a cap dump to Golden State)

Donovan Mitchell (traded to the Cavs last year and probably to a different team next year)

Other young All-Star players - Domantas Sabonis, Shai Gilgous-Alexander, Tyrese Halliburton, Lauri Markkanen and (maybe eventually) Mikal Bridges have all been traded at least once in their young careers.

Danny Ainge, Ryan Smith and Will Hardy are changing the narrative about Utah and I believe they will have a couple of opportunities to go get a star player in the next two years - they just need to keep building what they have been and be flexible and ready to strike when the opportunity comes. I’m pretty sure everyone in the NBA knows DA is trading for at least one star player with his haul of assets. The big questions are who and when?
Sure. but you just listed a lot of guys who got traded to not utah. Now do the utah list. I agree that I believe in ainge but until it happens it hasn't happened. I still dont think the jazz can be picky when choosing what league mvp they want to add.

Also, I think people are underestimating how effed this new CBA is making things this year. I’m expecting some wild stuff to happen over the next week that will shock people. There’s going to be some shakeups in the NBA over the next year, and DA is perfectly situated to take advantage of that.

Sure. but you just listed a lot of guys who got traded to not utah. Now do the utah list. I agree that I believe in ainge but until it happens it hasn't happened. I still dont think the jazz can be picky when choosing what league mvp they want to add.
I was just pointing out that stars get traded all the time. More than they ever leave in free agency. DL is no Danny Ainge. Considering what he did last year and in Boston during his tenure there. . . it’s pretty clear that he’ll make whatever deal he needs to in order to make the Jazz contenders.

I get where you’re coming from, but I think it would be a mistake to prioritize the assets and cap space it would take to get Joel Embiid. I feel like the Jazz can build a better team by keeping Kessler and trying to get other high level skill players to team up with Markkanen. Embiid, no matter how talented he is, is a huge risk to make that bet on. Thankfully, I’m pretty sure that DA would make the best deal he can if it comes to that.

What is with this MVP-obsession? Embiid is a great player, but there are quite a few players I'd rather trade for than him.