What's new

Will Trey Ever Shoot Over 40%

Remember that PG we had who shot nearly 52%/38%?

IMO, if Trey isn't shooting around 45% overall in the next couple of years he has to be replaced. Throw out Brooks and Jack (non-starters) and 45% would be 15th best for PG's thus far this season. Trey's still young, but his shooting HAS to improve. This table is from CBSsports. Obviously a few anomalies like listing Burks as a PG. And two starting PG's for Phoenix and Boston. Accurate enough, though, to see what the Jazz need from a PG.

Field Goals
PlayerPosTeamGPGSMPGPTSFG%3P%
Jarrett JackPGBKN10024.59.753.414.3
Tony ParkerPGSA101031.816.150.866.7
Stephen CurryPGGS101033.524.849.139.7
Kyle LowryPGTOR101033.218.348.531.0
Aaron BrooksPGCHI11019.310.448.346.9
Monta EllisPGDAL111131.618.448.231.0
Chris PaulPGLAC9936.317.347.938.7
Goran DragicPGPHO111132.515.647.532.4
Avery BradleyPGBOS9931.415.347.233.3
Jeremy LinPGLAL111130.51246.639.3
Deron WilliamsPGBKN101036.818.246.433.3
Damian LillardPGPOR111135.120.945.944.9
Kyrie IrvingPGCLE9938.422.145.444.0
Jeff TeaguePGATL101032.515.845.430.0
Brandon JenningsPGDET11112916.445.247.1
Rajon RondoPGBOS8833.210.645.138.5
Mario ChalmersPGMIA11229.513.544.734.3
Brandon KnightPGMIL111132.517.944.439.1
Eric BledsoePGPHO111131.113.543.937.9
Jrue HolidayPGNO101034.315.343.729.4
Ty LawsonPGDEN9935.916.943.129.6
John WallPGWAS9935.619.443.025.0
Alec BurksPGUTA121234.61442.740.0
Isaiah ThomasPGPHO11023.915.642.631.0
Mike ConleyPGMEM111132.216.942.543.2
Darren CollisonPGSAC10103515.542.425.0
Reggie JacksonPGOKC9940.620.242.028.6
Donald SloanPGIND111132.512.639.038.0
Kemba WalkerPGCHA111133.114.739.030.2
Tyreke EvansPGNO101034.316.138.746.7

so by your logic, john wall should be benched. cool
I dint think he said that.
I think he said that he thinks TREY needs to shoot 45% or be on the trade block.

Trey burke and john wall are two different players in different situations.

One of them has great size and speed and gets to the line alot (and probably averages more assists)

The other one is short, not real fast, shoots too much, and most importantly, has a #4 pick pg guard backing him that hopes to be the future star pg of the team

Do you think Trey will ever shoot over 40% from the field?

Absolutely. Kid is smart, driven, has nice form on his shot. 99% confident that he will be >40%. I'd say 50/50 he shoots 45% after he completes the NBA learning curve (year 5).

I'm more concerned about speed and defense, the shooting will come around.

bad logic. these streaky shooters don't consistently shoot well. burke will have plenty of games shooting 30-35% per game. but he will have games where he shoots 50%. it will average out and he will be low 40% range next year. i think he will be similar to last year's % this year. he dug himself a big hole already. i expect him to be 38% range again

Yeah that wasn't meant to be construed as actual logic at all.

I think he said that he thinks TREY needs to shoot 45% or be on the trade block.

One of them has great size and speed and gets to the line alot (and probably averages more assists)

The other one is short, not real fast, shoots too much, and most importantly, has a #4 pick pg guard backing him that hopes to be the future star pg of the team

trey doesn't shoot too much. he is attempting 11.8!! that's not a lot. he is type of a guy who figures it out during the course of the game. he has shooters mentality. he needs to shoot his way out of the slump. but he is not pulling the trigger in many games (5 games below 10 attempts) because he lost his confidence. i hate soft trey. i like aggressive trey. i like 'i'm da man' trey.

his shooting woos get fixed during the game. i tell dudes who is struggling - 'keep shooting'. it's fixable because shooting is all about the form, confidence, and touch. trey has it. he's lost but he has it.

you saw what he did against OKC. he shot 17 times. most of them were great attempts - being aggressive. i'll take 7-17 over 4-9. 4-9 is better fg%, but give me aggressive trey who's involved in our offense.

so the whole 'trey shouldn't be shooting the most' is kinda stupid. if he does what he did against okc? i'll take that 7-17(41%) anytime anyday.

and let's say trey's shot is forever broken. then we still have a guy who run the offense and has potential to give the team 8 dimes a game. i'll take that too. maybe it is forever broken. maybe he will always be a 35fg% guy. then he must give me 8-9 dimes to stay as a starter.

trey doesn't shoot too much. he is attempting 11.8!! that's not a lot. he is type of a guy who figures it out during the course of the game. he has shooters mentality. he needs to shoot his way out of the slump. but he is not pulling the trigger in many games (5 games below 10 attempts) because he lost his confidence. i hate soft trey. i like aggressive trey. i like 'i'm da man' trey.

his shooting woos get fixed during the game. i tell dudes who is struggling - 'keep shooting'. it's fixable because shooting is all about the form, confidence, and touch. trey has it. he's lost but he has it.

you saw what he did against OKC. he shot 17 times. most of them were great attempts - being aggressive. i'll take 7-17 over 4-9. 4-9 is better fg%, but give me aggressive trey who's involved in our offense.

so the whole 'trey shouldn't be shooting the most' is kinda stupid. if he does what he did against okc? i'll take that 7-17(41%) anytime anyday.

and let's say trey's shot is forever broken. then we still have a guy who run the offense and has potential to give the team 8 dimes a game. i'll take that too. maybe it is forever broken. maybe he will always be a 35fg% guy. then he must give me 8-9 dimes to stay as a starter.

Ok, you have convinced me. Trey doesn't shoot too much.

How about the rest of my post?
Do you see that wall and Burke are different players? (That was the point of my post after all)

yes, they are built differently, but they actually have a similar playing style.

and this is wall's 5th season. let's give trey time to grow. i'm not in love with wall, but talent is undeniable. like trey, wall too have broken jumpers. wall is just a bad shooter. trey is a streaky shooter. i just think trey is going through a bad shooting slump. i hope this bad shooting doesn't continue.

yes, they are built differently, but they actually have a similar playing style.

and this is wall's 5th season. let's give trey time to grow. i'm not in love with wall, but talent is undeniable. like trey, wall too have broken jumpers. wall is just a bad shooter. trey is a streaky shooter. i just think trey is going through a bad shooting slump. i hope this bad shooting doesn't continue.
Does wall get to the line more than trey? Does he rebound better? Is he a better defender? Does he average more assists?

I think part of the reason stifle tower said trey needs to shoot 45% is because he is not that good at other aspects of the game. (So far at least....... you are right that we need to give him more time)

I doubt that there are any poor shooting point guards that don't average many assists and don't rebound or play good defense and don't get to the line that are considered good players

43/36 is my expectation for Trey this season, next season, and the season after. Very attainable for him.

Does wall get to the line more than trey? Does he rebound better? Is he a better defender? Does he average more assists?

I think part of the reason stifle tower said trey needs to shoot 45% is because he is not that good at other aspects of the game. (So far at least....... you are right that we need to give him more time)

I doubt that there are any poor shooting point guards that don't average many assists and don't rebound or play good defense and don't get to the line that are considered good players

Thanks fish.
Yes, there are obvious exceptions to the 45% "rule." Jrue and Tyreke are both below that (although look at Tyreke's 3PT%!). And Wall too. Conley is another (his career averages are 44%/37%). That's why I said "around 45%." As you mentioned, Trey just doesn't give much else. Not to say he can't develop into a good assist man or get to the line more. I doubt he'll ever be a top-15 defender, though. But in general, you could say the top PG's in the league shoot in the mid 40's overall and upper 30's on their 3's.

Wall is also turnover prone and has more experience in the league. The assist thing isn't that big of a deal because he has the ball in his hands so much.

Thanks fish.
Yes, there are obvious exceptions to the 45% "rule." Jrue and Tyreke are both below that (although look at Tyreke's 3PT%!). And Wall too. Conley is another (his career averages are 44%/37%). That's why I said "around 45%." As you mentioned, Trey just doesn't give much else. Not to say he can't develop into a good assist man or get to the line more. I doubt he'll ever be a top-15 defender, though. But in general, you could say the top PG's in the league shoot in the mid 40's overall and upper 30's on their 3's.

He's a "good assist" man already. He can develop into a great assist man and ball handler.

He's a "good assist" man already. He can develop into a great assist man and ball handler.

Too many games where he's had 2 or 3. I admit his last several games have been very good. Let's see if he keeps it up. It would be very encouraging, indeed, if he moves into the top-15 (23rd now).

Too many games where he's had 2 or 3. I admit his last several games have been very good. Let's see if he keeps it up. It would be very encouraging, indeed, if he moves into the top-15 (23rd now).

Guys have to make shoots to get an assist. A 2 assist game isn't always on the passer.

Let's put this in perspective. In Kanter's first year shooting 3's in the NBA, he is shooting the same percentage from 3 as Trey is from the feild--33%. Trey Burke is not a shooter.

Also, to the delusional who said Trey shooting 12x a game isn't worrisome, I hope you realize this is the second most FGA's on the team. Should our worst shooter, by a very large margin mind you, really be taking the second most shots?

Guys have to make shoots to get an assist. A 2 assist game isn't always on the passer.

True.
However, the Jazz has the 10th best overall FG% in the NBA as a team. Only 21st in terms of 3PT%, though. Since you don't get an assist passing to yourself, and Trey's FG and 3PT% is way below the team's average, he actually HURTS the team. So he's passing to players who are even more efficient than 10th best in the league.

And to answer, SF, no, you do not want the worst shooter taking the second most FG's. If Trey can be the player he was in quarters 2-4 of the OKC game, he's an asset to the team. If it's more of the same as we've seen in most other games (i.e. missing mid-range and 3PT shots), then the Jazz need to make changes.

dude, a point-guard who is top 15 in APG will almost always be the focal point of the offense. Trey is not the focal point of this team's attack.

If trey hits 7APG this season, that's more than enough. We have Exum, Hayward, and Burks all chipping in the APG as well.

dude, a point-guard who is top 15 in APG will almost always be the focal point of the offense. Trey is not the focal point of this team's attack.

If trey hits 7APG this season, that's more than enough. We have Exum, Hayward, and Burks all chipping in the APG as well.

Trey might not be the focal, but he has the most ball-handling responsibilities on the team when he is in.