What's new

Will Trey Ever Shoot Over 40%

Trey might not be the focal, but he has the most ball-handling responsibilities on the team when he is in.

Exactly.
I get a little of what Dalamon is saying: the ball moves around a lot more and Hayward and Burks will likely get assists, too. I don't ever expect Trey to be averaging 10+/per. I think 7 is a reasonable goal. It would actually put Burke in the top-10. All he needs to do is shoot a little less and pass a little more.

Trey Burke shooting is being way over stated for a player 10 games into his 2nd year. As many love to point out he's not John Wall physically and that means he has to out think the defense. Part of that is taking what the defense gives. If that is a mid range/3pt jumper Trey has to take those shots. He just has to make them. As corny as of a saying the NBA is truly a miss or make league.

We all know those shots are in his range now it's a matter of consistency. Time will tell if Burke is as bad as his pecentage, or it's just been some bad situation and a slump. However saying he should only shoot "X" number of times is short sighted IMO.

Part of that is taking what the defense gives.

Sometimes the defense gives you something intentionally (maybe the defense wants trey shooting more than Hayward, favors, burks, and kanter)

Trey's shot attempts are fine. I hardly notice him taking that many bad shots. As long as he takes good shots, the amount doesn't really matter. Some games he is going to get more, some he is going to get less.

Trey's shot attempts are fine. I hardly notice him taking that many bad shots. As long as he takes good shots, the amount doesn't really matter. Some games he is going to get more, some he is going to get less.

When you're shooting 33% frim the feild every shot is a bad shot, right?

I get what you are saying, but I think he has some questionable hero-ball shots mixed in with those shots he has to take.

Sometimes the defense gives you something intentionally (maybe the defense wants trey shooting more than Hayward, favors, burks, and kanter)

Fish is on fire!
Yes, the defense definitely wants Trey to shoot jumpers, just like good teams would play off AK, Brewer and Tinsley/Watson. The OKC game should be Trey's benchmark. When he's missing from the outside, he should start taking the ball to the hoop like he did. His 7/17 performance was actually ok, even at 41%, because he was making things happen.

Fish is on fire!
Yes, the defense definitely wants Trey to shoot jumpers, just like good teams would play off AK, Brewer and Tinsley/Watson. The OKC game should be Trey's benchmark. When he's missing from the outside, he should start taking the ball to the hoop like he did. His 7/17 performance was actually ok, even at 41%, because he was making things happen.

Plus, that 41% like, raised his FG% a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

If he can't make those shots in his career he will struggle it's that simple. The problem is you guys are making far too many wide sweeping conclusions way too early in a players career.

If he can't make those shots in his career he will struggle it's that simple. The problem is you guys are making far too many wide sweeping conclusions way too early in a players career.
No we are just taking about what we have seen from his career to this point.

I'm not attempting to predict how good he will be give years from now or anything

I just think Burke has a difficult time competing physically at the NBA level. It's size, strength, tenacity, explosiveness. He's not able to get a good look for himself unless he pulls up and chucks at an early opportunity.

Honestly, thusfar Trey Burke is the biggest draft disappointment for me since.....

.....since Kirk Snyder. Does anyone remember Kirk Snyder? Did I spell his name right?

Could've had Giannis w/ 14, Rudy w/ 21, and Neto w/ 46 of that draft and saved ourselves a million dollars, or whatever we paid for the rudy pick.

Exum
Hayward
Giannis
Kanter
Favors

Bench of:

Neto
Burks (6th man)
Hood
Booker
Gobert

Oh well, we live and we learn. I just wonder if we would've drafted Trey if Ty wasn't so enamored with him.

Could've had Giannis w/ 14, Rudy w/ 21, and Neto w/ 46 of that draft and saved ourselves a million dollars, or whatever we paid for the rudy pick.

Exum
Hayward
Giannis
Kanter
Favors

Bench of:

Neto
Burks (6th man)
Hood
Booker
Gobert

Oh well, we live and we learn. I just wonder if we would've drafted Trey if Ty wasn't so enamored with him.

Of course, we all agree with this in hindsight. The problem here is that the Jazz front office had no way of knowing that Exum would be the prospect he is or that we would be able to draft him. On top of that, Giannis was a risky project-type pick in his draft. He still is really. That's why he fell to #15.

So yeah, now that we have Exum and see what Giannis might become it's easy to say, "Crap, we should have drafted Giannis and waited to draft Exum," but all a GM can do is play the cards we have and make bets based on the known options, risks and opportunities. There's always an element of chance involved, even if your plan is solid and your follow it to a tee.

The T'wolves could have drafted Steph Curry and Klay Thompson to team with Kevin Love. Instead they drafted Johnny Flynn and Derrick Williams.