What's new

With the 35th Pick... Jarnell Stokes (traded)

Jarnell Stokes killing it today. Per Alex Kennedy (basketball insiders) today "Jarnell Stokes is dominating right now. He was such a steal for Memphis in the early second round. I love his game". I'm surprised we couldn't get more for this guy, this 2nd round was shockingly deep. It's going to be hard to watch him succeed.

Jarnell Stokes killing it today. Per Alex Kennedy (basketball insiders) today "Jarnell Stokes is dominating right now. He was such a steal for Memphis in the early second round. I love his game". I'm surprised we couldn't get more for this guy, this 2nd round was shockingly deep. It's going to be hard to watch him succeed.

Imagine if this guy turns out to be the second coming of Karl Malone, or even Paul Millsap.

He looks good, watching him now. I guess the Jazz saw him as redundant to Kanter. He was supposed to have a 1st round promise.

You guys know that memphis would've contacted the Jazz and arranged the trade before Stokes was drafted right? If we had kept the pick it could have been any other player.

Time preference

Perhaps "opportunity cost" isn't exactly the right term, but there is definitely a cost associated with it. To wit: if a team does a trade like that every year, they will never ever get the pick. Therefore doing a trade like that costs the team something.

You've got the concept nailed, just the wrong term. The technical economic term is "time preference" -- the value of having an asset today being inherently higher than the value of having that same asset at some point in the future. It is the basis of discount rates and interest rates. Would you loan someone $100 today and be cool if they gave it back $100 in two years? The lendee had the benefit of using this $100 for two years. Same concept for draft choices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_preference

I do agree that the Jazz did not get great value for the pick. Not sure if they "shopped" it in advance and this was the best they could get or not. They felt their next best alternative was to have too many rookies and if the counterparties knew this it could have eroded their bargaining power.