What's new

With the 52nd Pick the Utah Jazz Select Joel Bolomboy

On a related note, how is Randy Rahe still coaching at Weber? It's cool if he wants to, but he obviously(or others on his staff) can develop players and has a pretty good eye for finding hidden gems in recruiting. He deserves offers.

Surprised everyone thinks he is such a lock to make the team. I certainly think he can and has a good shot, but I would put his chances at 40%.

1.Burke
2.Burks
3.Exum
4.Favors
5.Gobert
6.Hayward
7.Hill
8.Hood
9.Ingles
10.Johnson
11.Lyles
12.Mack
13.Neto
14.Pleiss
15.Withey

Of course we going to trade/cut some of those players, but you have to think we are going to sign a player or two in FA.

Surprised everyone thinks he is such a lock to make the team. I certainly think he can and has a good shot, but I would put his chances at 40%.

1.Burke
2.Burks
3.Exum
4.Favors
5.Gobert
6.Hayward
7.Hill
8.Hood
9.Ingles
10.Johnson
11.Lyles
12.Mack
13.Neto
14.Pleiss
15.Withey

Of course we going to trade/cut some of those players, but you have to think we are going to sign a player or two in FA.

I tend to agree with you that he isn't a lock. I might say his chances are closer to 50-60%, but yeah, certainly not a lock. There are six guys on that list he could make it over.

I tend to agree with you that he isn't a lock. I might say his chances are closer to 50-60%, but yeah, certainly not a lock. There are six guys on that list he could make it over.

Uhh, 6? Only like two of those guys aren't guaranteed contracts (Mack and Johnson). So we have to cut those two players and only sign 1 FA for Bolomboy to have a spot to make the team.

Of course we all assume some sort of trade will happen involving Burke, so that adds a lot more uncertainty. Will we make use of our cap space to absorb a contract for a future asset? Will we simply bring back a player in a trade? Who knows, but I don't feel like the goal of the moves is to make sure a spot is open for Bolomboy (unless he really impressed at SL) but rather if a spot happens to be open we will sign him.

I thought this comparison to Millsap coming out of college was interesting and eerily similar.

Per 40:
Millsap 23 ppg, 57% FGs, 15.6 reb, 35.7% 3pt (just 5 made threes), TS 59%, 62% FT 7 FTA, 2.7 blks.

Bolomboy 22 ppg, 57% FGs, 15.9 reb, 36.4% 3pt (20 made threes), TS 63%, 70% FT 9 FTA, 1.5 blks.

You have to think we will sign or trade for another wing player too, even if we do cut Chris Johnson, and that would be a priority over signing Bolomboy.

I was at the game where Joel hit his first college three-pointer! That place went nuts. I think offensively he'll be Speights with better offensive rebounding ability. He's one of those guys that started playing later in life so he's a bit behind IQ-wise. Tools are all there though. I've been hoping for months that the Jazz would nab him in the second round.

Not bad for such a late pick. Kid looks like a dunking rebounding beast. All reports say he is a hard worker, and has a chip on his shoulder.
If we are letting Booker go this kid can fill the roll.

You have to think we will sign or trade for another wing player too, even if we do cut Chris Johnson, and that would be a priority over signing Bolomboy.

Burke and Johnson are gone. I figure they'll be replaced by Bolomboy and a wing from FA.

I thought this comparison to Millsap coming out of college was interesting and eerily similar.

Per 40:
Millsap 23 ppg, 57% FGs, 15.6 reb, 35.7% 3pt (just 5 made threes), TS 59%, 62% FT 7 FTA, 2.7 blks.

Bolomboy 22 ppg, 57% FGs, 15.9 reb, 36.4% 3pt (20 made threes), TS 63%, 70% FT 9 FTA, 1.5 blks.

I think the Millsap comparison is very fair so long as we're talking like first 3 years in the league Millsap. He kinda took off and went berserk when he added the handle and perfected his shooting stroke.

Burke and Johnson are gone. I figure they'll be replaced by Bolomboy and a wing from FA.

And nothing comes back in the Burke trade? Got a feeling the only way we trade him is to take back a contract and a future pick from a team looking to save money.

1.Burke
2.Burks
3.Exum
4.Favors
5.Gobert
6.Hayward
7.Hill
8.Hood
9.Ingles
10.Johnson
11.Lyles
12.Mack
13.Neto
14.Pleiss
15.Withey

Mack and Johnson won't be brought back since they're not guaranteed. We will trade/cut Burke. And Pleiss should be moved though maybe he's improved. That puts us at 11 or 12 guys. I have a feeling we'll keep Pleiss. So 12 plus Bolomboy plus one FA is 14. That's how I see the roster filling out.

I caught a Cal game last year and Tyrone Wallace went crazy with some incredible dunks. If he can work on his shot, he could be a player.

Mack and Johnson won't be brought back since they're not guaranteed. We will trade/cut Burke. And Pleiss should be moved though maybe he's improved. That puts us at 11 or 12 guys. I have a feeling we'll keep Pleiss. So 12 plus Bolomboy plus one FA is 14. That's how I see the roster filling out.

So you think Quin is going to sign off on cutting Mack, a player he really likes and is on a good contract?

So you think Quin is going to sign off on cutting Mack, a player he really likes and is on a good contract?

I think Mack doesn't want to be a 3rd/4th string pg again and he will let the guy walk to pursue greener pastures.

And we have been saying we will trade/cut Burke for the past 2 years, hasnt happened.

No, we've wanted to. That doesn't mean the FO wanted to. Based on the last three months of the season, it's difficult to imagine a scenario where he's on our starting roster next season.

I think the Millsap comparison is very fair so long as we're talking like first 3 years in the league Millsap. He kinda took off and went berserk when he added the handle and perfected his shooting stroke.

Almost any time you compare a guy coming out of college to an all-star, it isn't a fair comparison. The post was more just to point out how similar they were when the Jazz picked them out of the second round. Perhaps it shows that while Bolomboy will likely never get to Millsap's level, he has a chance to be a similar type player, even if not as good.