What's new

With the 52nd Pick the Utah Jazz Select Joel Bolomboy

The Evans comparison is good from a height/length standpoint and a jumping ability standpoint, but that's about where the comparison stops. As was mentioned Bolomboy not only has a NBA body, but he's a legit basketball player and a great rebounder. Evans was only a tall guy who could jump out of the gym. Evans averaged 10 and 5 at WK, Bolomboy 17 and 13 at Weber. Bolomboy would be a rich man's Evans, plus a NBA body.

On a side note, I just went through DX's database because I was curious how many 6'9"+ guys had a vertical of 40+ (Bolomboy is 40.5). There are 5. 5 guys in the database at that size that can jump like him. None of the five were as fast at either the lane agility or the 3/4 court sprint.

Bolomboy is essentially the best run/jump athlete at his size or bigger in the last 20 years.
Wow

I think Mack doesn't want to be a 3rd/4th string pg again and he will let the guy walk to pursue greener pastures.

Why would we let an asset walk like that though? Mack had a good year and would be a good trade asset. Just to sign our 52nd overall pick? A player who we had an opportunity to draft at 42, but decided to trade down for cash because we werent overly enamored with our options at 42.

Why would we let an asset walk like that though? Mack had a good year and would be a good trade asset. Just to sign our 52nd overall pick? A player who we had an opportunity to draft at 42, but decided to trade down for cash because we werent overly enamored with our options at 42.

You make it sound as if Mack is really good. He's not.

I thought this comparison to Millsap coming out of college was interesting and eerily similar.

Per 40:
Millsap 23 ppg, 57% FGs, 15.6 reb, 35.7% 3pt (just 5 made threes), TS 59%, 62% FT 7 FTA, 2.7 blks.

Bolomboy 22 ppg, 57% FGs, 15.9 reb, 36.4% 3pt (20 made threes), TS 63%, 70% FT 9 FTA, 1.5 blks.

Again, wow.
I'm excited. And thank goodness.... Now there is a good reason to watch summer league if dante doesn't play.

Bolomboy might have saved summer league.

You're make it sound as if Mack is really good. He's not.

He averaged 13, 5 , and 4 as a starter who came in at the half-way point of the season. You are telling me if you needed a backup PG you wouldn't want to trade for him? At least a 2nd round pick? You dont just let a guy who averaged 13-5-4 walk for nothing if you can control him.

Again, wow.
I'm excited. And thank goodness.... Now there is a good reason to watch summer league if dante doesn't play.

Bolomboy might have saved summer league.
Exactly what I was thinking. Paige could actually be fun to watch in SL too. Haven't seen Wallace much, do don't know what to expect there.

No, we've wanted to. That doesn't mean the FO wanted to. Based on the last three months of the season, it's difficult to imagine a scenario where he's on our starting roster next season.
Yup.
Burke has to be gone

He averaged 13, 5 , and 4 as a starter who came in at the half-way point of the season. You are telling me if you needed a backup PG you wouldn't want to trade for him? At least a 2nd round pick? You dont just let a guy who averaged 13-5-4 walk for nothing if you can control him.

How was his efficiency on offense? His turnovers? Or do we wanna just use the stats we want to use?

I'll try not to be too long winded, but basically my in-laws have Weber State season tix, court side, and they never use them. I've probably seen all but 5 or 6 of Bolomboy's home games during his time at Weber.

He was SO raw as a Freshman but you could see the NBA body was there. His biggest improvement over the years has been his footwork and his college coach will be the first to tell you that. He's really turned himself into a good face up jump shooter (still has to get better) and by his senior year he even started taking and making a couple of 3's. I think the best thing you can say about the kid is that each and every year, he got better. There was constant improvement and he was always praised by his coaches for not being complacent and working to get better. Dude is a rebounding monster and as I said earlier, a high motor guy. A taller Trevor Booker is s really good comp IMO.

I'm a bit of a homer on this kid but he's an NBA player. Never be an All-Star, but will make the team, give us a solid 6-8 years, and qualify as yet another Lindsay late round steal.

That is excellent. I look forward to the summer league and am pleased we drafted him. Ironically, I had posted I wanted us to draft him and Whitehead and we drafted both. But at least we got to keep one of them!

And nothing comes back in the Burke trade? Got a feeling the only way we trade him is to take back a contract and a future pick from a team looking to save money.

Dude, we're not getting anything back. If we were, last night would have probably been the time. At this point I'd be shocked if he's not an outright cut.

I think it's fair to put Bolomboy's chances at 60% but I'm with NAOS. This dude makes the team. It's not going to take long for the coaching staff and FO to realize that this kid can do some things that some of our current bigs can't.

Dude, we're not getting anything back. If we were, last night would have probably been the time. At this point I'd be shocked if he's not an outright cut.

I think it's fair to put Bolomboy's chances at 60% but I'm with NAOS. This dude makes the team. It's not going to take long for the coaching staff and FO to realize that this kid can do some things that some of our current bigs can't.

I think us not trading Burke last night just shows we werent able to package him to move up in the draft, I don't think it shows we can't trade him.

I would guess he is going to be included in some sort of package that has us absorbing a more expensive 1 year contract for some kind of future asset (like a 2019/2020 draft pick).

maybe they should - I won't go there - but they won't. No way the Jazz keep both Mack and Neto.

Why? I don't get that sentiment, especially with the positional versatility of both Exum and Hill. You have to keep both IMO for the simple reason of we don't know the long-term of George Hill with the Jazz. Will he be here after next year? If he isn't, then you want Neto to be there as your back-up long term. You might say OK then, just cut Mack, but that would be a poor use of an asset. Just keep Mack on and someone might offer us a 2nd round pick for him like we did to Atlanta.