With the Fifth Pick... Dante Exum

BrGeJG6CIAE1buu.jpg

I agree. Based upon current events, this is our depth chart this season:

PG: Trey Burke/Danté Exum, Raul Neto/Garrett

SG: Alec Burks/Danté Exum

SF: Gordon Hayward (re-sign), Rodney Hood

PF: Enes Kanter, Jeremy Evans

C: Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert

Still need to use some salary to get to the floor.

What next?

There are a lot of things he does really well and I love the potential but to be great he needs to correct a lot of areas in his game.

Shooting- He can shoot the open jay but struggles under pressure and off the dribble (only 17%) he lacks consistency with his mechanics which lead him to shoot a flat ball. Shot selection leaves something to be desired as he tends to force a ton of shots. He is only 18 however and this can be corrected with consistent coaching and a good work ethic.

Control- Exum has a high motor and is extremely quick but he plays out of control at times and misses a lot of open teammates. Averaged 3.2 T/O per 40 and tends to dribble a bit too loosely for my liking. Again, these are things that can be corrected. "Camp Stockton"?

Strength- This is a big concern of mine. He only weighs 188lbs. Can he sustain a full season with the amount of contact he takes? He needs to bulk up which in turn will help him with the contact around the rim.

While I am disappointed we didn't get Wiggins/Gordon, I'm also very glad we didn't give up Favors or Burks and the more I read about and hear Exum speak, the better I feel about this pick.

My problem isn't that I don't trust the office to evaluate talent, my problem is that the whole approach is wrong. Picking the best player available is a bad idea. You fill needs. The Jazz don't need a PG or a SG.
I completely disagree with this. Filling needs is for Free Agency and trades. The draft is about getting the best player you can and work with or around his position. Besides we do need Sg/Pg's. When Burke missed time we sucked major *** last season. And this guy looks to be more of a passing PG instead of a shooting PG like Burke.

Bye bye, Trey.

I love the pick. AG would have been extremely mediocre at 5, IMO I think Orlando whiffed huge on that one.

There was a clear cut top 4 in this draft that had star potential and one of them fell into our laps. We had to swing for the fences.

Oh and I love the pick. I wanted Gordon or a trade up if it did not involve Favors. But I'll take this and be very happy.

Chad Ford had Dante Exum number # 3 on his big board, so I think the Jazz did very well with their 5th pick.

Bye bye, Trey.

I love the pick. AG would have been extremely mediocre at 5, IMO I think Orlando whiffed huge on that one.

There was a clear cut top 4 in this draft that had star potential and one of them fell into our laps. We had to swing for the fences.

Would be really awkward for Trey to be taking pictures with his replacement one year after he was drafted. My guess is that Trey won't be traded this year at least.

Would be really awkward for Trey to be taking pictures with his replacement one year after he was drafted. My guess is that Trey won't be traded this year at least.
Agreed. Besides. . . with such a young team there's going to be plenty of minutes to go around. Dante will get time at both 1 and 2 to figure out where he fits best.

I have ripped on Exum a lot lately. I still worry about him.

But I am warming up. His shot is bad. mechanics are good though. So hopefully he can improve. Is he our combo guard off the bench this year?

Seems more like a SG then a PG. Needs to fix his PG skills before we think about trading Trey. Hopefully he can put it together.