What's new

Woj: Don to the Cavs for Markkanen, Agbaji, Sexton, three unprotected 1sts, two swaps, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Perused the Cavs fans' messageboard. Was surprised by how bummed they were that Markkanen was in the deal. Seems like that's their biggest gripe as far as personnel they gave up. The next biggest bummer was Agbaji. No one seemed sad to see Sexton gone.
Lauri helped spread the floor as their other bigs can't shoot from deep. Agbaji looks like a great 3&D type that any team needs. Both team needa that need to be filled elsewhere.

Mitchell is a bigger, stronger, healthier version of Sexton, so that is not surprising at all. The prior two seasons before his knee injury, Sexton missed a good # of games (played 60ish games per IIRC). Hopefully he has a chip on his shoulder and takes it to another level. He seems like he has a lot of desire to win.

Something Bobby Marks has been emphasizing - this trade means that Cleveland cannot offer the designated rookie extension to Evan Mobley in 2024 because they already offered it to Garland and Mitchell is their second player on such an extension. Is that going to be a big deal for Mobley?

Something Bobby Marks has been emphasizing - this trade means that Cleveland cannot offer the designated rookie extension to Evan Mobley in 2024 because they already offered it to Garland and Mitchell is their second player on such an extension. Is that going to be a big deal for Mobley?
Enough for him to forfeit tens of millions of dollars and take the QO? Doubt it. Maybe it's a consideration when he's a UFA which bodes well for us in 2029, but they have team control of him for the next six years.

Enough for him to forfeit tens of millions of dollars and take the QO? Doubt it. Maybe it's a consideration when he's a UFA which bodes well for us in 2029, but they have team control of him for the next six years.
Maybe it's enough to make him force 3+1 contract ... or ask for a trade half way through that contract...

Only Danny Ainge could kill two birds with one stone like this: first, he hammered the Knicks for screwing up the neat little three team trade he had in place which would have garnered two more firsts from the Lakers; second he secured a trade that in my mind exceeds the Knicks' best offer on the table. Markannen > Toppin, Sexton signed > Barrett signed or Fournier and Agbaji > IQ (Grimes was off the table).
The other thing is, though he probably doesn't realize it. Mitchell will have an easier road to success without Grimes, Barrett and Rose on his tail and Brunson as his running mate.

Or maybe Cleveland got a two year plan to trade him to NYK and get a bag from them.

I really don’t think so. I think he’s a positive asset. His contact is only guaranteed 6M in 2024-25. It’s a pretty team friendly contract.
I definitely view him as a positive asset and this year I'm expecting big things from him. Somewhere in the 18pts, 8rbs a game range should be expected.

Kinda of surprised that Mitchell hasn’t released some sort of statement thanking the organization. Maybe he doesn’t want to after Hayward’s “Thank You Utah,“ or maybe his opinion of our fine state has become that low

Cavs didn't exactly have a lot of scoring when they were a 31% win team. But his 2pt and 3pt percentages are solid. Almost a 50 and 40 guy.

Watching Fontecchio at Eurobasket. Easy NBA range. Looks like prime Joe Ingles shooting the ball.

Kinda of surprised that Mitchell hasn’t released some sort of statement thanking the organization. Maybe he doesn’t want to after Hayward’s “Thank You Utah,“ or maybe his opinion of our fine state has become that low
It's been one day. I'm sure he'll release something.