What's new

Woj: Don to the Cavs for Markkanen, Agbaji, Sexton, three unprotected 1sts, two swaps, and a partridge in a pear tree.

View: https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/status/1566553419778707457

Leon Rose is just so hilarious. Won't face the media. Says trade was unfair. Leaks offers he said he made that he didn't... and is also like "well this consultant is really in charge".

Well looks like Leon Rose found his fall guy. Good for him, I guess? It must be fun being the GM of a team and being too chicken to stand behind your work on a deal you've been preparing to make for 3 years. They hired Walt Perrin who was our main scout and who organized the workout when the Jazz fell in love with Mitchell. They hired his personal trainer/coach Johnnie Bryant... they were on first row seats in playoff games of Mitchell(and Brunson)... but sure... Let the creepster from Minny take the lead in negotiations. :D

It wasn't the Knicks protected pick. They offered the MKE pick from what I gather.... which is top 5 protected.

The Milwaukee pick is actually top-4 protected.

This is what Woj wrote:

Utah wanted three unprotected first-round draft picks as part of the package -- but New York would only do a third first-round pick that included top-five protections, sources said. Those packages would've included Milwaukee's 2025 first-round pick, two second-round picks, two pick swaps and two expiring contracts from a third team, sources said.

This is what Woj wrote:

This is in addition to swapping Grimes for Quickley and it was reported the Knicks took out the swaps and seconds from the offer as well when they countered.

This is in addition to swapping Grimes for Quickley and it was reported the Knicks took out the swaps and seconds from the offer as well when they countered.
I don't believe anything coming from Woj after this trade when it comes to reports on what was offered and what was rejected. Woj is so obviously doing damage control for his CAA buddies in NY.

Well looks like Leon Rose found his fall guy. Good for him, I guess? It must be fun being the GM of a team and being too chicken to stand behind your work on a deal you've been preparing to make for 3 years. They hired Walt Perrin who was our main scout and who organized the workout when the Jazz fell in love with Mitchell. They hired his personal trainer/coach Johnnie Bryant... they were on first row seats in playoff games of Mitchell(and Brunson)... but sure... Let the creepster from Minny take the lead in negotiations. :D
Rose also doesn't speak to the media. Its hilarious how some NYers paint him as the NY tough guy... Leon the DON!!! and he is really playing a scared game.

I think the Knicks are also realizing how effed they are. They can sell this "build on the kids" narrative but the fact is the kids won't play half as much as Randle and Fournier... and those guys aren't getting moved without assets. Knicks young guys lose value (they kill 3 years of the rookie deal) or the bench their vets making them even less tradeable. They had so little leverage here and played it like they had ALL THE LEVERAGE!!!

Just wild how much they effed it up. It may end up working out for them but this wasn't the plan.

This is what Woj wrote:
****… that is for sure better than the Cavs offer, even if they were negotiating in bad faith and being dicks.

Oh well, these ****-heads sweating bullets indefinitely is premium value.

First, in 2027, as it shows in the screenshot you included, we have both CLE and MIN’s 1st round picks (both unprotected). 2026 is when we have swaps with both. Easiest way to think about it is we will essentially get the highest pick amongst us, CLE and MIN that year. If we do end up swapping picks, that’s all that will happen. The other team will simply just keep their pick that year.
The only negative is that if the pick we owe OKC conveys in 2026, we may have a problem.

It wasn't the Knicks protected pick. They offered the MKE pick from what I gather.... which is top 5 protected.
This detail is kind of important and I wish I knew the answer. If it was the MKE pick, then yeah the Cleveland deal was better. If it was a '28 NYK pick, then I think that definitely is better than what we ended up with.

If there’s a year we should hope (and strategize?) to convey the pick, it’s 2025.
The pick is top 10 in '24, top 8 in '24, else conveys as 2 seconds. All things equal, we should see about getting it back maybe. Just opens up a tuckfon more flexibility.

The pick is top 10 in '24, top 8 in '24, else conveys as 2 seconds. All things equal, we should see about getting it back maybe. Just opens up a tuckfon more flexibility.
How do you do that? If I’m OKC I wouldn’t be reasonable about trading it back.