What's new

Woj: Don to the Cavs for Markkanen, Agbaji, Sexton, three unprotected 1sts, two swaps, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Sounds like we might have gave Sexton a bigger contract if we were able to. That’s the most he could have received to make the trade work salary wise without us sending another player back to Cleveland. They are 2.4M under the tax after getting Mitchell and his trade kicker which was just shy of 562k.

Only players we could have sent back was Bolmaro (couldn’t do that until Sep 6th) or Dok. Both of those would have made Cleveland duck the tax but barely. Sounds like it wasn’t a big sticking point from Sexton and I suspect he was happy to get a deal locked in anyways.

So many different layers to this trade and trade discussions regarding Donovan in general. I love this ****.

It's not. It's a solid bet tho

Yeah… ok. When the cap rises to 170M+ guess how much he’s going to be getting paid. Barely 10% of the cap.

Like what is the absolute worst possible outcome? He’s a better version of Jordan Clarkson as a 6th man?

Just a weird comment.

Yeah… ok. When the cap rises to 170M+ guess how much he’s going to be getting paid. Barely 10% of the cap.

Like what is the absolute worst possible outcome? He’s a better version of Jordan Clarkson as a 6th man?

Just a weird comment.
He might be the kind of player you don't want on your team at any contract.

TBH it wouldn't have been a hardship for them to keep him at the number he ended up at either. Letting him go was a boneheaded move.
They didn't let him go. They wanted him back but he was an unrestricted free agent. Where they really screwed up was last offseason where they could have not picked up his 4th year option and made him a restricted free agent. They would have been able to lock him up for closer to 4yrs 50 mil at that time.

Do you like Agbaji better than Jovic?

He went 13 spots ahead of Jovic, but during the run up to the draft I kinda fell in love with Jovic.

But 14th selection is likely better than the player selected 27th. AND I feel more confident in Cavs’ picks being more valuable than Heat’s, 2025 - 2029.
I like both guys tbh. I think Agbaji would’ve gone earlier if he was younger. The first round of the NBA draft is almost always about youth and upside. Agbaji is clearly an outlier. It feels like every year there’s a player or two that gets vastly under drafted because of his age. Because the Jazz didn’t draft him themselves, I’m more concerned with how old he is and what his contract looks like. I feel like he can become a contributor early on with the direction the Jazz seem headed this year.

Last edited:
I’m really not too Jazzed about this trade. Gun to my head: the Cavs are good through 2029. The rest of the players in the deal would’ve been really good around Gobert, so I kinda wish we could maybe go back in time and just do this deal (and maybe the Jazz have more leverage with the Knicks if Gobert is still here).

IDK, it just feels like the Jazz still have a lot of work to do. The draft assets and youth we have are mostly backloaded. But the team looks like it could still be kinda good. To make serious rebuilding progress the Jazz really have to bottom out the next two years cuz the Jazz aren’t getting any extra lottery picks from the Knicks or whoever. And the swaps we get in any deal won’t even happen if the Jazz are treadmilling when we get in the money with the picks and swaps. We need to bottom out hard and rebound hard heading into the period.

We have a lot of useful complementary guys, nothing to build around, and little certainty that the picks in five years are going to amount to much. The Jazz have to commit themselves to maximizing their odds in the next couple of drafts.

I’m really not too Jazzed about this trade. Gun to my head: the Cavs are good through 2029. The rest of the players in the deal would’ve been really good around Gobert, so I kinda wish we could maybe go back in time and just do this deal (and maybe the Jazz have more leverage with the Knicks if Gobert is still here).

IDK, it just feels like the Jazz still have a lot of work to do. The draft assets and youth we have are mostly backloaded. But the team looks like it could still be kinda good. To make serious rebuilding progress the Jazz really have to bottom out the next two years cuz the Jazz aren’t getting any extra lottery picks from the Knicks or whoever. And the swaps we get in any deal won’t even happen if the Jazz are treadmilling when we get in the money with the picks and swaps. We need to bottom out hard and rebound hard heading into the period.

We have a lot of useful complementary guys, nothing to build around, and little certainty that the picks in five years are going to amount to much. The Jazz have to commit themselves to maximizing their odds in the next couple of drafts.
agreed, i think the knicks picks would have still been better than the Cavs. Plus you could have flipped RJ/IQ for more picks.

agreed, i think the knicks picks would have still been better than the Cavs. Plus you could have flipped RJ/IQ for more picks.
I don't know, the picks are in '25, '27 and '29. I think the Cavs will be good in '25, but '27 is 5 years from now. By that time, they will have had to extend several guys, players who might be good, but maybe not worth that extra luxury tax, etc. Cavs being bad '26-'30 isn't exactly a wild gamble.

I don't know, the picks are in '25, '27 and '29. I think the Cavs will be good in '25, but '27 is 5 years from now. By that time, they will have had to extend several guys, players who might be good, but maybe not worth that extra luxury tax, etc. Cavs being bad '26-'30 isn't exactly a wild gamble.
but even the extra players would have had more value for future trades. it wreaks of spite.

but even the extra players would have had more value for future trades. it wreaks of spite.
Well, maybe. It depends on who they were. I don't think Toppin or Quickley have that much value. RJ has more value than Sexton, but Sexton now has the upside that he's significantly cheaper. Not sure that will matter for us the next four years, but it could definitely matter to some contender we want to get all teh picks from.

Markkanen and Agbaji is definitely a solid match for the non-RJ players Knicks would send.

Disagree - the Knicks picks would only be valuable if we got a big enough trade to cripple them, but that wasn’t what was being offered. The Knicks would of had enough resources to add one more impact player this year or next, which would have devalued their picks.

The Cavs picks are at least lottery tickets with the potential of being higher if Mitchell leaves when his contract is up. Also, the players received are much better than what was being offered by the Knicks.

I just had the feeling behind the scenes that DM was kind of a pain in the behind to some of the Jazz FO. From his feud with Rudy, to his power play that led to the firing of the trainer, to never staying completely healthy, to his lack of D in the playoffs to our early exits from the playoffs, I can see why some just wanted a divorce.

I have a question. Hopefully someone has an answer.

Regarding 2027, the Jazz have the right to swap picks with Cleveland
AND the right to swap picks with Minny.

So, how does that work?

We can’t swap picks with both of them. One of them will get to keep their pick, right?

Image1662339564.203369.jpg

Yeah, the picks will suck if we actually use them. But they will be huge pieces for a major trade.

Both Cavs and Wolves are going to be solid team for the next 5 years at least. Teams that have no reason to tank will stay relevant. Only thing that can happen is terrible injury luck one year.