What's new

Woj: Don to the Cavs for Markkanen, Agbaji, Sexton, three unprotected 1sts, two swaps, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I think you have a mental block about Westbrook. The returning salary from Miami in a deal like that is likely a lot worse.

Also, the goal is the top of the Lakers' draft when they are likely to be in the ditch. So, better picks and a less burdensome contract.

The money that will be paid out to Westbrook will be spent one way or another, whether he's here or isn't.
No, I'm fine with taking Westbrook and giving Bogey and a couple other pieces. But I want BOTH picks and no other bullcrap. I'm OK if Ainge holds firm on that and looks for deals elsewhere if they start making other demands.

Two unprotected super swaps, 2 2nds, and call it good. They can keep their picks and we get in the lottery/top 5 one or two of those times. :). They can say to their fan base that they kept their picks, lol.
I'm wondering if this would go for the Jazz. I'm not opposed to it. But I'm definitely insisting that the Jazz set the terms of the deal then (or at least Vanderbilt's off the table).

Two unprotected super swaps, 2 2nds, and call it good. They can keep their picks and we get in the lottery/top 5 one or two of those times. :). They can say to their fan base that they kept their picks, lol.
I have no interest in swaps. I want the picks unprotected, or hell top 5 protect the 2027 if they need to. I'd imagine us trading them for certain assets is just as likely as us using them. That's why we need the actual picks.

After switching out NYK for CLE, the Lakers are frankly on notice that Ainge either gets what he asks for or they can trade RW for Fournier.
LA's going to have some suitors for WB and those picks and Utah isn't the only team with assets to give for them. I think Utah's potential package is the best, but Ainge needs to be careful to not Rose himself with Pelinka. If a good enough framework where both sides get what they want, just close the deal and don't get cute about it.

LA's going to have some suitors for WB and those picks and Utah isn't the only team with assets to give for them. I think Utah's potential package is the best, but Ainge needs to be careful to not Rose himself with Pelinka. If a good enough framework where both sides get what they want, just close the deal and don't get cute about it.
Assets that move the needle for a championship run that ALSO happen to be mostly expirings? Yeah, there really isn't a lot of teams that can offer that. Now if the Lakers don't want expirings, they COULD get more options, but then you would have to find a team that wants to give up some good players under contract for crap. That is a universe that comprises the Pacers and almost no one else.

Assets that move the needle for a championship run that ALSO happen to be mostly expirings? Yeah, there really isn't a lot of teams that can offer that. Now if the Lakers don't want expirings, they COULD get more options, but then you would have to find a team that wants to give up some good players under contract for crap. That is a universe that comprises the Pacers and almost no one else.
To a point, agreed. But again, as we saw with Cleveland, someone may come in and yoink our deal. Just best to get it done.

I’d rather control their draft through 27/28/29. Pick swaps are so undervalued on here.

Just wanted to go over this really quick. People are saying they’d rather have the 27/29 1sts regardless if they are top-5 protected, etc. Here is why that is wrong.

2027 rolls around and Lakers end up in the top-5. We don’t get their pick if it is protected. If we have a pick swap we can swap our pick for their top-5 pick.

Then we get their 2028 unprotected 1st and then guess what? In 2029 we can swap picks with them again!

Controlling a teams draft like that all but guarantees they will not be getting better through the draft. It is also extremely demoralizing and sets the team back years. Look at Brooklyn for example this last decade.

Who are those teams and what pieces can they offer better than Bogey, Clarkson, Beasly, Conley.

Just wanted to go over this really quick. People are saying they’d rather have the 27/29 1sts regardless if they are top-5 protected, etc. Here is why that is wrong.

2027 rolls around and Lakers end up in the top-5. We don’t get their pick if it is protected. If we have a pick swap we can swap our pick for their top-5 pick.

Then we get their 2028 unprotected 1st and then guess what? In 2029 we can swap picks with them again!

Controlling a teams draft like that all but guarantees they will not be getting better through the draft. It is also extremely demoralizing and sets the team back years. Look at Brooklyn for example this last decade.

Except I think it is just as likely that we trade the Lakers picks for assets then wait to see them happen. It is much harder to trade a swap than an actual asset. A swap is a strategy, not an asset.

One little nugget that hasn’t been brought up is Donovan is no longer supermax eligible after being traded. That is interesting for two reasons. One being he could have stuck it out through a short rebuild (that would have been exponentially quicker with him) and get a supermax contract. Now he’s not eligible which makes him leaving Cleveland even more likely after the 2024-25 season.