What's new

Woj: Don to the Cavs for Markkanen, Agbaji, Sexton, three unprotected 1sts, two swaps, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Bogey and Gay for Duncan, Jovic, filler, protected 1st. 2029 swap due to Ainge factor.
Miami has Riley. He is an elite GM and they will never be in the ditch. Miami is also a free agent destination. Lakers however only has mediocre ownership/GM and Lebron is putting them in a crunch down the line.

I think you have a mental block about Westbrook. The returning salary from Miami in a deal like that is likely a lot worse.

Also, the goal is the top of the Lakers' draft when they are likely to be in the ditch. So, better picks and a less burdensome contract.

The money that will be paid out to Westbrook will be spent one way or another, whether he's here or isn't.
Focus on years not dollars.

Do you like Agbaji better than Jovic?

He went 13 spots ahead of Jovic, but during the run up to the draft I kinda fell in love with Jovic.

But 14th selection is likely better than the player selected 27th. AND I feel more confident in Cavs’ picks being more valuable than Heat’s, 2025 - 2029.

I do like Agbaji a lot more but I would rank Jovic higher than he got selected. Pure value wise we got a lottery pick vs a late first rounder.

Who’s Woj?

It’s a wrapski for ole boy. It’s Sham’s world now.
Meh, Shams is a very similar mouthpiece for NBA teams... he just happens to be our mouthpiece right now. But make no mistake - things can turn on a dime and he can be incentivised to spin things against our interest too...

Meh, Shams is a very similar mouthpiece for NBA teams... he just happens to be our mouthpiece right now. But make no mistake - things can turn on a dime and he can be incentivised to spin things against our interest too...
Woj is actually in bed with everyone... so he is JZ's mouthpiece sometimes and Knicks mouthpiece other times. Basically whoever wants to give him a little info and has a full arm length glove is allowed to shove they hand up and use him as a dummy.

Woj is actually in bed with everyone... so he is JZ's mouthpiece sometimes and Knicks mouthpiece other times. Basically whoever wants to give him a little info and has a full arm length glove is allowed to shove they hand up and use him as a dummy.
He works for CAA. He does was best for all the players they represent and the teams that want to stay on the good side of CAA.

And also, Lebron owns Clutch Sports agency which means he is also plugged into all the rumors of the NBA before they happen. And Brian Windhorst is super tight with Lebron which is likely his number one source. These agencies are the source of 90% of all rumors that end up being true.

He works for CAA. He does was best for all the players they represent and the teams that want to stay on the good side of CAA.

And also, Lebron owns Clutch Sports agency which means he is also plugged into all the rumors of the NBA before they happen. And Brian Windhorst is super tight with Lebron which is likely his number one source. These agencies are the source of 90% of all rumors that end up being true.
Woj is super tight with JZ too. He's info didn't paint Rose in a great light either. Klutch runs the Lakers... and Windy shares some info too but he's got non-klutch sources. The agencies are influential but Woj and Shams can't cater to one agency exclusively or they become a local reporter and not a national analyst.

Woj is super tight with JZ too. He's info didn't paint Rose in a great light either. Klutch runs the Lakers... and Windy shares some info too but he's got non-klutch sources. The agencies are influential but Woj and Shams can't cater to one agency exclusively or they become a local reporter and not a national analyst.
Generally yes, but Woj's paycheck does come from somewhere and currently it is CAA.

Miami will be under water and Riley will be gone by 2029. I am willing to take a flyer on 2029.
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I like it, actually. It's kinda shocking that the Jazz don't have more build to build with in the next two years and I think Jovic is very enticing.

We still have Conley, Clarkson, Beasley to offer Lakers. DA should (will) play hardball with the Lakers, as well. No fair trades allowed.
Lakers get right of first refusal on everything (win now players) we have for everything (draft assets) they have. Period.

If they just won't send either '27/'29 swaps and '28 unprotected (my first preference) or '27/'29 unprotected, then you start piecing out the deal with fallback offers. If they got a Laker pick and a swap, plus the Jovic/'23 pick(/and swap?) deal then that's pretty ****ing good.

I admire the enthusiasm here, but if unprotected firsts are the end all and be alls that they seem to be for the Jazz, I have a hard time imagining any return for any combo of our trade-aggregatable players being better than the Lakers unprotected 2027 & 2029 picks. That's the prize, and I don't think it's that hard for the Lakers to understand this. They do have some leverage. Just like we have some leverage to the extent that they want to get off Russ. That means (if they're interested) that they may get more choice within the trade constraints (Westbrook's contract + very little more; our hard cap, etc.) than we might prefer. In other words, Vanderbilt may be in play. If we can do a deal without him for the two firsts, then great. But I'm skeptical.

Otherwise, if we sell things of piecemeal, we might get something like (just spitballing here):
- Bogey for Crowder and Craig + 2023 first rounder (say #28) + second rounder (or, if we're lucky a 2025 first, lottery protected as the draft return)
- Clarkson for Boucher & second rounder (or late first if we're lucky) (at trade deadline, because Boucher can't be traded yet)
- Conley for Lonzo & Tony Bradley (as Bulls will insist on staying under luxury tax) + maybe a second, though I think Bulls fans would insist that draft capital go the other direction
- Gay for TPE and top 55 protected second (if we're lucky)
- Beasley for bad salary and either a very late first (if we're lucky) or a 2nd; or maybe something like Beverley's trade with a reclamation project rather than draft capital returning
- Vanderbilt (if not kept) might be able to return a lottery-protected 1st and an unwanted player/salary

I frankly think that expecting all of this from the piecemeal approach is optimistic. And it wouldn't offer nearly as clean a path to both get off salary commitments by 2023 or solve our logjam of guaranteed contracts. So I think I'd prefer the Lakers return to all of these put together (plus there would still be some piecemealing still available after a Lakers trade.)

I also think there's a strong school of thought among Lakers' faithful that nothing the Jazz can give back in return is worth the two unprotected picks. That could end up being the reality.

I also think there's a strong school of thought among Lakers' faithful that nothing the Jazz can give back in return is worth the two unprotected picks. That could end up being the reality.
Two unprotected super swaps, 2 2nds, and call it good. They can keep their picks and we get in the lottery/top 5 one or two of those times. :). They can say to their fan base that they kept their picks, lol.