What's new

Woj: Jazz agree to 3-team trade with Lakers and Timberwolves

With the Durant trade my new top cap space target is Cam Johnson. Nets are in a flux situation and I could see them doing a sign and trade if we throw some things their way
The problem for the nets is they have no control over their 1st rd pick for the next 4 years so tanking is not an option for them. I expect them to make some moves and maneuver to younger guys but I think Johnson is going to be viewed as a key core piece.

Obviously he was exaggerating for effect. That doesn't change the fact that this was a baffling trade.

What are we doing?

We traded a 35-year old PG who is due 24.3M next year and two bench players for one of the most coveted assets in the league. While simultaneously making our team worse to maximize our pick this year.

Anyone know what Bojan would be worth right now in a trade? Would he be worth a 1st?

Cos if that’s the case then we should have held onto him…
Nah, we should have held onto the trade that sent Magic Johnson to the Lakers. Or we should have moved up in the draft and drafted Michael Jordan. Man that would have been cool!!

If the Laker pick turns out to be a #5-10 pick that seems like a very good trade

If this leads to us getting a top-4 pick the trade is automatically a win regardless of the Lakers pick in my opinion.

The protections on the pick really killed it for me. There are few things I enjoy more than rooting for the Lakers to lose, but now in 2027 I have to hope they lose but don’t lose too much…
TP-diS.gif

That is true. I was hoping that would change. There was one time this season where NAW was below THT on the depth chart and then jumped him. I was hoping for that to happen again.
NAW was too good for where we are headed… we have no room for error and THT is the tank master. The Down Payment about to pay off big.

Coulda done ALL that and more at the beginning of the season if the return didn’t actually matter. Conley, Bogey and Clarkson matched up pretty damn well with Westbrook’s expiring and THT.

Just bite the bullet early on and tank like everyone expected. Sexton, Beasley, Markkanen, Vando and Kessler starting with NAW, THT, Agbaji, Fontecchio, Gay, Bolmaro Azibuike and whoever you got back for Beverley on the bench unit.

I get why they made the trade, and I don’t actually hate it (except for the pick protections) but it feels like a half measure. Especially because I think we could’ve just done something at the beginning of the season and then still used Beasley/Vando to cut another deal at the deadline. I’m sure there would’ve been something that could’ve been worked out if we weren’t getting an unprotected pick.
I don't know, I kind of like the progression IF the tank was the goal all along. Because left with those guys I am not convinced Lauri gets the looks and the support from vet team mates to make the leap in development he did. I think it worked out better to have Conley working with him, to give him a boost and someone to find him and get him involved. Looking at the game last night it closely resembled chickens running around with their heads cut off and I do not think that would have been best for Lauri to get that boost. Yeah maybe he would have, but there is something to say about playing with great team mates to get the best out of players, especially in a break-out year.

Of course this is all just speculation and an attempt to justify what looks like kind of a crappy trade. Too little too late. Win 50% for more than half the season THEN try to tank your way to, what, 8th? Instead of just tanking entirely and securing a top 5. Seems bassackward.

And yes this trade is a little bit a lot thin. Expected more from Trader Danny, unless this is just the first shoe, but cannot imagine what the second shoe would be to justify such a thin return.

Also was it ever confirmed that the Lakers pick turns into a 2nd if it doesn't convey as a first? That seemed ludicrous, and makes it of far far less value if that is true.

Best we can do is to pray it becomes a late lotto pick
So we traded very serviceable and somewhat sought after wing shooters/defenders and a solid vet point guard on a decent contract (considering the expected jump in the salary cap) for a HOPE we get like the 8th pick down the road? And gave us 3 2nds for the privilege of hoping for that 8th pick?

Um.....yay?

Man every time you look under the hood you see more and more that this car is running on asthmatic gerbils.

Yes, trading Conley/Beasley/Vanderbilt for the 2027 Lakers top-4 protected first absolutely negates the Gobert trade. You guys are geniuses.
We didn’t get 200% of expected value in a trade that completely makes sense with the direction the franchise needs to go and everyone is like:

1675955703929.gif

That Lakers pick is going to be highly sought after and will probably headline a major trade for us. I see it as equal to the Nets pick they traded for Kyrie that became Sexton
Yeah but they severely neutered that pick with the top 4 protection. Many teams will side-eye that ****er now. It's like you land the free agent you wanted and he goes down with an Achilles for the season. Yeah sure he might come back full-strength, but don't hold your breath.