What's new

Woj: Jazz agree to 3-team trade with Lakers and Timberwolves

I feel like David Spade in Tommy Boy when he goes to explain how to work a seat belt on the plane… if you can’t see what we are doing I will have Tommy come hit you over the head with a tack hammer…

We traded a 35-year old PG who is due 24.3M next year and two bench players for one of the most coveted assets in the league. While simultaneously making our team worse to maximize our pick this year.
Dude that was before the protection and the 2nd rounder conversion clauses were added.

It cannot be one of the the most coveted assets in the league if it cannot be the best asset of that year alone. There are at least 4 assets that are guaranteed to be better in 2027... or at least we sure as hell hope so.

Dude that was before the protection and the 2nd rounder conversion clauses were added.

It cannot be one of the the most coveted assets in the league if it cannot be the best asset of that year alone. There are at least 4 assets that are guaranteed to be better in 2027... or at least we sure as hell hope so.
Next to the Sixers pick this season it's probably our worst 1st round pick asset if we had to rank them.

I think we make the playoffs next season. This is a 26 game stealth tank. That is it.
So who is on that playoff team? Lauri, Kessler, Sexton, Ochai, three rookies... and?

Bringing back JC and KO definitely doesn't make that a playoff team. A major trade? Who are the top25 players that actually could be available? Trae? And guys that have maybe 3 years left like Dame, DeRozan, Harden - none of which really make sense for the Jazz.

The same goes for FAs. Grant, Butler, FVV - I'd think they don't want to be on a team that just tanked and is nothing but youth. Let's still say they get Kuzma and another FA that's middle of the FA pack. Is that a playoff team?

So who is on that playoff team? Lauri, Kessler, Sexton, Ochai, three rookies... and?

Bringing back JC and KO definitely doesn't make that a playoff team. A major trade? Who are the top25 players that actually could be available? Trae? And guys that have maybe 3 years left like Dame, DeRozan, Harden - none of which really make sense for the Jazz.

The same goes for FAs. Grant, Butler, FVV - I'd think they don't want to be on a team that just tanked and is nothing but youth. Let's still say they get Kuzma and another FA that's middle of the FA pack. Is that a playoff team?
I'll hold off on this until the deadline passes.

Tend to agree though, it could be a 2 year tank.

I feel like David Spade in Tommy Boy when he goes to explain how to work a seat belt on the plane… if you can’t see what we are doing I will have Tommy come hit you over the head with a tack hammer…
giphy.gif

Not to mention that we'd inevitably be overpaying for someone like Kuzma out of desperation and turning him into a fake 1st option when he's really a Robin... A.K.A. "The Zach LaVine Plan" .

Biggest thing we traded away wasnt a player on the field.. it was our team leader. Someone else needs to step up now. The other guys we traded away were not even worth first round picks... otherwise we would have traded them elsewhere for better picks. We know that, since we flinged them all as trade bait for nearly two weeks and got just trash offers.

It was not a roster annihilation move... so dont make it sound like one. We had to build around Lauri and Kessler anyways through draft, FA and trades.

Next to the Sixers pick this season it's probably our worst 1st round pick asset if we had to rank them.
It is one that I think you hold... in a trade the floor of the pick would be given too much weight. The reality of where the pick will land is pretty good. If a team wasn't valuing it similarly to the Minny Cavs picks in a trade... then I would move those instead. We have inventory so I think I'd just earmark that one as a hold unless I get the right amount of value back for it.

It is one that I think you hold... in a trade the floor of the pick would be given too much weight. The reality of where the pick will land is pretty good. If a team wasn't valuing it similarly to the Minny Cavs picks in a trade... then I would move those instead. We have inventory so I think I'd just earmark that one as a hold unless I get the right amount of value back for it.
Problem with that logic is that if Lakers do end up sucking real bad by 2027 that pick becomes untradable and we have to see it through all the way.

Problem with that logic is that if Lakers do end up sucking real bad by 2027 that pick becomes untradable and we have to see it through all the way.
Why is that a problem lol... I literally said we should hold it and that it isn't a problem to hold it. We've done it before and netted AK47 and Gordon Hayward because of it. We won't trade 14 firsts in the next 3 years... some of these picks will be used.

If the Lakers suck harder than any other team has sucked and they are the worst team in the league... there is a 48% chance that pick is #5... and if not it will be #31. I'll just hold that one.

It was not a roster annihilation move... so dont make it sound like one. We had to build around Lauri and Kessler anyways through draft, FA and trades.
So, who's on the playoff team next year?

And if it's not a playoff team, but one deep in a rebuild, then that's not gonna be a single year (let alone, 27 game) process. At the same time, the odds narrow, quite a lot, that Lauri is not gonna be part of that future contender, which might or might not come one day.

Nah, I think we tank next season. Can see us pulling a Golden State so we keep our first round pick instead of losing it to Oklahoma City. Could be a strong draft class in ‘24 if high schoolers end up in it. And I am totally convinced we will never see the first round pick from the Lakers. They will tank their butts off that year. This has to be about cap space and future moves but it really feels like we flushed assets down the toilet.

So, who's on the playoff team next year?

And if it's not a playoff team, but one deep in a rebuild, then that's not gonna be a single year (let alone, 27 game) process. At the same time, the odds narrow, quite a lot, that Lauri is not gonna be part of that future contender, which might or might not come one day.
If we didn't make the trade we did who is on the playoff team next year? If we can't replace Mike/Vando/Beasley with what we get from 3 first rounders and like $40M in space then DA is really incompetent. If we take on ****** deals and suck for a year and miss the playoffs it will be intentional.

Yeah we definitely aren't a playoff team next year. I think this will be an 18 month rebuild. Next year our pick is top 10 protected and I fully expect to keep that pick. Next year will be a pretty heavy youth movement because I expect us to use all 3 of our 1sts and Ainge won't bring in many vets to get in the way because he won't trust Hardy not to play them. Like you mentioned we have 4 guys right now that may be viewed as long term pieces. Possibly 5 if THT builds some consistency with heavy minutes the rest of the year. I think with our pick we are likely looking at one of Amen Thompson, Jarace Walker or Brandon Miller. With the wolves pick I really want Cason Wallace and I'd be willing to combine a future pick to make that happen. I would also kill to come away with one of Jordan Hawkins, Brice Sensabaugh, Taylor Hendricks, Fili and GG Jackson.

We have the draft assets, including 3 picks coming up in the next draft.. at least one of them likely a high pick
We have 2 (or 3) core players, one of them being an all star unicorn who still has room to develop
We have cap space coming up and roster flexibility with little bad money or ****** contracts
We have a GM with nothing but great success in his most recent history
We have a young head coach learning the ropes and showing promise

There is really no reason to be desperate about the future. Forget Kyle Kuzmas and such.... NBA is a crazy place and this year only 1 team will (again) win a championship and 7-8 others who built for it will fail. Thats a lot of sad and angry faces in June.

We will be there... lurking.. waiting in the shadows with those assets and that cap space... until we see the right opportunities. If none arrive in the summer... we will still lurk come next december... meanwhile developing those drafted rookies and our core further.

How is the Lakers top-4 protected first in 2027 really any different than the Minnesota top-5 protected first in 2029 value wise? They both convey immediately to a second if the pick falls within the protection.