What's new

Woj: Jazz agree to 3-team trade with Lakers and Timberwolves

I'm talking about the decision to keep Mike versus keeping WB. If the money was the same, meaning Mike did not have an additional year, it would be a very similar value proposition in terms of what you gain/lose by waiving or keeping them.

Ask yourself this, if Mike Conley did have a one year contract and no additional years and we did not trade him....should we waive him on the spot?
Mike and Russ are not the same. the evaluation is not the same. Russ is prickly (to put it mildly) and Mike has never had a technical. So no you don't cut Mike... unless he wanted out.

Yep. We definitely should not be giving up a 1st in any scenario.
Or draft compensation at all unless young guys come back. The idea this would be hinging on us adding protections to the Rudy trade or giving a pick back there is laughable. Go see LA about that **** and GTFO with Utah

Conley's one of the best locker room and culture guys in the entire league, a great mentor for the young guy's. Westbrook is the polar opposite, and would most likely be toxic in the locker room. I don't blame the Jazz for not wanting Westbrook anywhere near this team.

I disagree with this. I don't think WB would be a toxic player in the locker room, and he is notorious for his hard work ethic and is well respected amongst players. Mike Conley might be well respected, but RWB is a different level. Playing with LeBron might not be the right situation for him, but there's a reason why LeBron wanted him and they loved him in WAS. His beefs have always been with the on court situation, and UTA is honestly not a bad on court situation for him.

Anyways, it's just kinda funny that WB is a complete, 100% non-discussion when people were dragging their feet about Conley. Some of the reasons against RWB sound really familiar to the reasons to keep Conley. One of the reasons why is because he might actually help us win a couple more games. But also Mike is indispensable to some because he could help us win a couple more games. I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not you keep the veteran PG who might help you win more versus waiving them and giving time to the young players and getting a higher draft spot or two. Whatever you prefer, you prefer. But for me it's not that different between Conley and WB. I think WB would be much more entertaining and intriguing to watch.

Teams are calling big time now so maybe someone folds and we get some value , but this deal seemed doa imo. If it does go down there has to be more value coming our way than what is being reported or proposed or Danny is not Danny.

If it was:

Dlo to LAL with Beasley

Mike and KO to Wolves along with the Lakers 23 2nd

Westbrook and 27 LAL first lottery protected, and 29 LAL first unprotected to the Jazz

Lakers say no

Wolves say no

Jazz say yes

I don't see Jazz saying yes for less

I disagree with this. I don't think WB would be a toxic player in the locker room, and he is notorious for his hard work ethic and is well respected amongst players. Mike Conley might be well respected, but RWB is a different level. Playing with LeBron might not be the right situation for him, but there's a reason why LeBron wanted him and they loved him in WAS. His beefs have always been with the on court situation, and UTA is honestly not a bad on court situation for him.

Anyways, it's just kinda funny that WB is a complete, 100% non-discussion when people were dragging their feet about Conley. Some of the reasons against RWB sound really familiar to the reasons to keep Conley. One of the reasons why is because he might actually help us win a couple more games. But also Mike is indispensable to some because he could help us win a couple more games. I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not you keep the veteran PG who might help you win more versus waiving them and giving time to the young players and getting a higher draft spot or two. Whatever you prefer, you prefer. But for me it's not that different between Conley and WB. I think WB would be much more entertaining and intriguing to watch.

I think the biggest reason most wanted to keep Conley was because of his leadership and positive influence/ mentorship of the young guys, not to win a couple of extra games. Hardy, Locke, Tony Jones, Sarah Todd, and others have all been very complimentary of Mikes leadership and influence on the team. I remember early in the season Locke told a story of talking to Sexton's dad before a game and he said how much Conley was teaching him, he said playing with Mike is the best thing that's happened to Collin so far in his career.

I wouldn't want Russ's toxic personality anywhere near our young guys like Sexton, Kessler or Agbaji, and I get the feeling the front office feels the same way.

My guess is going to be Utah caves a bit and gives up one of the swap rights back to Minny so the deal can get pushed through.

Makes sense. I think the Jazz will take a pick with light protections, plus a swap from the Lakers and give Minny pick protections or a swap along with Conley.

I think the biggest reason most wanted to keep Conley was because of his leadership and positive influence/ mentorship of the young guys, not to win a couple of extra games. Hardy, Locke, Tony Jones, Sarah Todd, and others have all been very complimentary of Mikes leadership and influence on the team. I remember early in the season Locke told a story of talking to Sexton's dad before a game and he said how much Conley was teaching him, he said playing with Mike is the best thing that's happened to Collin so far in his career.

I wouldn't want Russ's toxic personality anywhere near our young guys like Sexton, Kessler or Agbaji, and I get the feeling the front office feels the same way.

I disagree with the assertion that Russ is toxic. For all his faults as a player, I think he has a tremendous work ethic and extreme respect amongst players. Wouldn't surprise me if WB was one of our younger player's favorite players when they were teenagers. I think if you asked them if they wanted to play with Russ, they would be all over it. With no disagreement over his role on the team, I think Russ is a positive presence in the locker room. Take one google search "Russell Wesbrook leadership". You will find several stories about people praising him for it at different stops, even some from the stops that didn't go so well for RWB. Players love RWB, and he has a track record of positive impact on younger guys.

Russ is known as a great teammate btw. I dont think he is toxic off court more so he is inflexible on-court.

Makes sense. I think the Jazz will take a pick with light protections, plus a swap from the Lakers and give Minny pick protections or a swap along with Conley.
Why would the Jazz give up 3 quality players and assets for nothing? Danny isn't doing that.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Russ is known as a great teammate btw. I dont think he is toxic off court more so he is inflexible on-court.

Exactly. We can debate about how good RWB is on the court, or how much this off the court really matters.....but RWB is praised and respected by his peers. NBA players are not rando twitter posters.

Jazz were reportedly discussing Conley/Beasley/Vanderbilt with LAL for a while now. I'm guessing the fact that Kyrie didn't extend with BRK changed the calculus for the Lakers, and now they want Dlo's expiring deal so they can chase Kyrie in free agency this summer.

I disagree with the assertion that Russ is toxic. For all his faults as a player, I think he has a tremendous work ethic and extreme respect amongst players. Wouldn't surprise me if WB was one of our younger player's favorite players when they were teenagers. I think if you asked them if they wanted to play with Russ, they would be all over it. With no disagreement over his role on the team, I think Russ is a positive presence in the locker room. Take one google search "Russell Wesbrook leadership". You will find several stories about people praising him for it at different stops, even some from the stops that didn't go so well for RWB. Players love RWB, and he has a track record of positive impact on younger guys.