What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Center shouldn’t be the 1st or really 2nd most important position for any team though in 2019.

Center shouldn’t be the 1st or really 2nd most important position for any team though in 2019.
I agree, but that's just where we are. Our 2nd best player is a unique defensive center with offensive limitations. We can win a title with Gobert, but we have to protect him and surround him with incredible offensive weapons.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I agree, but that's just where we are. Our 2nd best player is a unique defensive center with offensive limitations. We can win a title with Gobert, but we have to protect him and surround him with incredible offensive weapons.

I agree that we need to surround Gobert with offensive weapons, which is why I think we'd be better off letting Favors go. Having Favors in the starting lineup is hurting Rudy on offense and Mitchell for that matter. We need to have a shooter at every position but center. The spacing with Rudy and Favors on the floor together is awful. I would much rather use the $18 million we're paying Favors to try and improve the offense.

If DL is wanting to bring guys back for the feel-goods, I hope he remembers how good it felt to get swiftly bumped off in the first round.

Let’s look at this differently.

Conley for Favors, Exum and a 1st is a deal many of us would take here.

But what if we simply traded Exum somewhere? And Favors? The Nets could use him. And in return we get picks. And those picks along with our own 1st is all of a sudden solid collection of assets so far as picks go.

And then with that cap space, that we were going to use on Conley, we got solid players and more of them. We’d have to renounce everyone of course but I think this would be doable or almost doable anyway. And we could snag...

Beverley, Lamb, Niko/Parker.

Or maybe Beverley, Lamb, Portis, Joseph for a little more than Conley alone would get.

Beverley-Joseph
Mitchell-O’Neale-Allen
Ingles-Lamb
Portis-Crowder
Gobert-Portis

This approach would give us far more assets than an aging 31 year old point guard, give us greater depth, give us greater firepower in different ways, AND give us more picks rather than losing them to attain Conley. Something to think about. Not sure we could even get anything for Rxum. But we could for Faves I think. And in general, this is more about the approach in filling out the roster to make us a stronger team and build up assets.

2zxwwa.jpg

I agree that we need to surround Gobert with offensive weapons, which is why I think we'd be better off letting Favors go. Having Favors in the starting lineup is hurting Rudy on offense and Mitchell for that matter. We need to have a shooter at every position but center. The spacing with Rudy and Favors on the floor together is awful. I would much rather use the $18 million we're paying Favors to try and improve the offense.
I agree on a couple points. At $18 million, Favors hurts us. However, bringing him back at no more than $13 is fine. I also feel that starting him doesn't get the best out of Gobert.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't bring him back. The guy is the ultimate teammate and backup for Gobert. He can play some minutes next to Gobert too. I just don't think he is a guy we throw away.

Trade Exum? Sure, I get the logic. Trade or waive Korver, same thing. Keeping Favors at $13 should be one of the summer goals. There are other expirings we can trade to make deals.

I agree on a couple points. At $18 million, Favors hurts us. However, bringing him back at no more than $13 is fine. I also feel that starting him doesn't get the best out of Gobert.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't bring him back. The guy is the ultimate teammate and backup for Gobert. He can play some minutes next to Gobert too. I just don't think he is a guy we throw away.

Trade Exum? Sure, I get the logic. Trade or waive Korver, same thing. Keeping Favors at $13 should be one of the summer goals. There are other expirings we can trade to make deals.

How much more flexibility are we really maintaining by signing him to a lower value? And again, he doesn’t have a team option. He’d have to clear waivers to be able to re-sign him.

How much more flexibility are we really maintaining by signing him to a lower value? And again, he doesn’t have a team option. He’d have to clear waivers to be able to re-sign him.
We have $33 million without Favors, Rubio, Thabo and Udoh. Add in Favors at $13 then subtract retiring Korver and we have $27 million which is a lot. If we waive Korver, we have around 23.5. We aren't getting a max player here but $23.5-$27 million could be used wisely.

We have $33 million without Favors, Rubio, Thabo and Udoh. Add in Favors at $13 then subtract retiring Korver and we have $27 million which is a lot. If we waive Korver, we have around 23.5. We aren't getting a max player here but $23.5-$27 million could be used wisely.

What’s your plan for him clearing waivers? He’ll be snatched up by some low bidders and be labeled Waivers Favors.

We’ve kicked the can as far as it can go. DL is becoming the friend who keeps promising that he’s got your money you loaned him. “I’ll have it by next week. I promise this time!”
DL better have my money

What’s your plan for him clearing waivers? He’ll be snatched up by some low bidders and be labeled Waivers Favors.

His plan doesn’t work... he should drop it. Even if he cleared waivers why is he giving us the discount when he could likely get something similar and a starting job.

Remember he didn’t say they need to keep me... he said they need to pick up my option (he used the wrong terminology) that’s about money as much as anything else imo.

So retain Favs, let Ricky walk, add Lamb (who is okayish but Quin May murder him) and try again next summer? We might get better with internal development but that sounds like a recipe for 48-52 wins and a first or second round exit... nailed it!

Imo if/when we strike out in FA I think breaking out that 31M into 3 players might provide greater flexibility and add some trade possibilities. If the players are older (Danny green, Rudy Gay, Trevor Ariza types) make them 1+1 deals that provide motivation to perform and can be trade assets. If it is on younger guys with more upside then make them longer.

Waiving Favs would also allow us to put out offers on the restricted guys... Brogdon, Russell (not one I like but Jazz might), etc. those guys likely don’t get offers from teams other than their own teams until after the moratorium ends.

Favors is such a fundamentally sound player and likeable guy plus he could come off the bench and we wouldn't skip a beat with Gobert taking a rest. Against some teams when they play together the other team gets pummeled on the boards and there offense stalls like a 4 cylinder VW with 3 fouled plugs! I'm all for keeping both of them and finding a couple of better than average shooters with whatever other assets we may have, be them draft choices, dead contract trades or cap space cash. There are enough front office dummies out there that we should be able to find a couple shooters on the cheap!