What's new

Youtube TV

Also HBO is a great example of what I'm talking about. You pay twice as much for HBO than you do for ESPN and they have no sports. How much do you think stand alone ESPN would cost?

I pay $29.99 a month for high speed internet and like $7 for Netflix. I bought League Pass for only the Jazz for $66 or something like that. I used my parents Dish account to get Watch ESPN for free. FoxSports Go is free as well. You can pay $5 or less for any channel you really want. This is all on the Roku by the way. Have not had any streaming problems and haven't missed DirecTV/Dish at all. I'm saving a ton of money too as you can see. I highly recommend this option to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Again, I'm talking legal ways to do this.

Also HBO is a great example of what I'm talking about. You pay twice as much for HBO than you do for ESPN and they have no sports. How much do you think stand alone ESPN would cost?

HBO has no sports?

LZT10GLK.jpeg

Hey guys, I have an announcement. I'm opening a burger joint. The burgers will only cost $0.50, but they come with a $50 order of fries. You can throw the fries in the trash if you want, but remember that the cost of the fries subsidizes the burger. My burgers come with a ton of mayonnaise, so they are different from my competitors who are selling their burgers for $5 a piece. Look forward to taking your money.

HBO was always offer as a stand alone chanel.

I never said 4k is DOA. I said that you're a sucker if you spend more for higher definition that your eyes can't see from the couch. I stand by it. 4k on a handheld or laptop makes sense but a TV, Suckers.

HBO wasn't always on offer unbundled. You could only get it with your cable subscription until 2015. Tech journalists insisted that HBO will never be offered as a standalone because Time Warner wouldn't allow zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

We got lucky with the internet's model. But I suspect one day companies will collude to limit our access to paid packages. Then they will get their defenders, as cable companies have their very few defenders.

Hey guys, I have an announcement. I'm opening a burger joint. The burgers will only cost $0.50, but they come with a $50 order of fries. You can throw the fries in the trash if you want, but remember that the cost of the fries subsidizes the burger. My burgers come with a ton of mayonnaise, so they are different from my competitors who are selling their burgers for $5 a piece. Look forward to taking your money.

Yes it is a lot like a burger joint. Try opening a burger joint that doesn't sell overpriced drinks. Let me know how that works out for you. The food is totally subsidized by an outrageous markup on sugar water.

PS the fries are often offered at cost to get you to buy one of those drinks.

Yes it is exactly like a burger joint. Try opening a burger joint that doesn't sell overpriced drinks. Let me know how that works out for you.

I am not forced to buy the drinks if I want a burger. It isn't about what's correctly priced. It is about the fact that I'm paying for a lot more than I want. I don't care if one part subsidizes the other. I want the option to pay the unsubsidized price. If Youtube TV offers Roots Sports + ESPN for 35 bucks, then it is a better deal to me than Comcast's bundle. Thus they get my business. I honestly don't know what your argument is at this point. It will never happen? Nonsense. It's already happening. The cable model is better? Not to me. Not to a lot of people.

Edit: About your edit, it is still the wrong analogy. Comcast isn't offering me free fries with that burger. They are forcing me to buy fries, drink, milkshake, and make a donation to Trump University, if I want the burger. No equivalence between the two situations.

I am not forced to buy the drinks if I want a burger. It isn't about what's correctly priced. It is about the fact that I'm paying for a lot more than I want. I don't care if one part subsidizes the other. I want the option to pay the unsubsidized price. If Youtube TV offers Roots Sports + ESPN for 35 bucks, then it is a better deal to me than Comcast's bundle. Thus they get my business. I honestly don't know what your argument is at this point. It will never happen? Nonsense. It's already happening. The cable model is better? Not to me. Not to a lot of people.

Edit: About your edit, it is still the wrong analogy. Comcast isn't offering me free fries with that burger. They are forcing me to buy fries, drink, milkshake, and make a donation to Trump University, if I want the burger. No equivalence between the two situations.

What are you talking about? It isn't happening. Google is offering a bundle TV package of 40+ channels most of them you don't want. You're just a fan boy with a big old Google in your mouth.

What are you talking about it isn't happening. Google is offering a bundle TV package of 40 channels most of them you don't want. You're just a fan boy with a big old Google in your mouth.

LOL. I like you, but you're way too stubborn. 40 channels that I don't want for $35 is better than 200 channels I don't want for $80, as long as I'm getting the Jazz games. If Youtube TV is never offered in Utah, then I'll stick with Comcast for the time being. But we know that it's being offered in some areas, and that it includes channels like ESPN and Fox Sports. It, or other services like it, will very likely find their way to SLC eventually.

Huh? This makes no sense at all.

I pay $120 a month for Comcast internet, 240 tv channels and home phone.

In order for me to piecemeal together a hodgepodge of instruments to come close to this gets me to $90 a month...and I don't get Jazz games, BBC, HGTV and a host of other channels.

Now, I don't use all 240 channels...well, let me restate, I don't WATCH all 240 channels. But I use them. The fact that I can get Jazz games (and if I bought NBA league pass and there weren't blackouts, that would cost me an additional $120 or $10 a month), the PAC-12 Network, BBC, HGTV and I can't get that anywhere else...well, something is paying for those extra channels.

It's the 200 channels I DON'T watch.

Now, if you gave me all the channels I wanted ala carte, or added onto Sling or Youtube or whatever, the cost would be much higher than what they are reporting. Add in the costs of increased internet costs as cable tv revenue drops...and you will end up paying more than what you pay now.

We don't need more tricycles. We need more cars. The cable option gives you everything streaming does...only better. And cheaper. With more options.

And it's not even close.

Not sure how what I'm doing is illegal.

You said:

I pay $29.99 a month for high speed internet and like $7 for Netflix. I bought League Pass for only the Jazz for $66 or something like that. I used my parents Dish account to get Watch ESPN for free. FoxSports Go is free as well. You can pay $5 or less for any channel you really want. This is all on the Roku by the way. Have not had any streaming problems and haven't missed DirecTV/Dish at all. I'm saving a ton of money too as you can see. I highly recommend this option to everyone.

I'd bet that you are not supposed to be using your parent's account.

You're using your parents paid subscription to get access to the WatchESPN app. You're not a paying subscriber, but you're using it.

It's pretty simple. If you use something and aren't paying for it...you probably shouldn't be going to the temple.

LOL. I like you, but you're way too stubborn. 40 channels that I don't want for $35 is better than 200 channels I don't want for $80, as long as I'm getting the Jazz games. If Youtube TV is never offered in Utah, then I'll stick with Comcast for the time being. But we know that it's being offered in some areas, and that it includes channels like ESPN and Fox Sports. It, or other services like it, will very likely find their way to SLC eventually.

Bottom Line this is somewhere in between LaserDisc and DirecTV in how disruptive it will be. Basically it's Dish. Woot!(Jazz hands) Also super happy with the Google in your mouth comment...perfect

Pats self on the back :)