What's new

Zach Lowe makes an outline for us: trade possibilities

Not sure why people hype Cory Joseph so much? 3rd string PG.. Just because he plays for the Spurs?

Burke is coming into his 3rd pro year. That is the year Points show there most improvement. Spurs backup points are nothing special. The Jazz perhaps would look to get Splitter as a 4th big. That's it though.

Originally Posted by Craig K. Manscill View Post
If Burke could dribble the ball, that's what we need. We need Joseph AND Mills to fill in the extra roles of our team. But Zach Lowe? He is a great writer, don't get me wrong, but if there is one thing I've learned about writers, it's that they have an agenda. Lowe wants to fill the void, create Jazz basketball. Is that what WE want though? If it is, we should go for it.

- Craig

What kind of drugs are you on? I want the opposite.

First off... this is the post/response of the year for me. Well done both of you. That post by Craig K. Manscill still has me laughing. - Craig" ?!?!?! - PROVO!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha. It all makes sense. The picture is just the cherry on top.

Next, Corey Joseph doesn't make us a contender. As long as we are looking at the Zach Lowe article for off season ideas... let's pick out a concept from the article that makes us get to the next level. Let's shoot for the stars. How's about the Jazz going hard to sign the perfect fit for the team and one that would compliment Rudy? Free Agent, stretch 4, and failed Cleveland experiment Kevin Love.

Think about it. We need a stretch 4. We want to stretch the court. We want a player that can make our attack more dynamic to compliment our defensive prowess and to bring us to the next level... what better fit is there than Kevin Love? He is coming off an injury... he can walk away from Cleveland where he doesn't seem to be thrilled about playing... and Boston isn't a great fit for him. There may not be a better fit for Kevin Love to fit into an offense other than Utah.

It's a pipe dream, I know. But so is Provo.

- Not Craig

Burke is coming into his 3rd pro year. That is the year Points show there most improvement. Spurs backup points are nothing special. The Jazz perhaps would look to get Splitter as a 4th big. That's it though.

I admit it's kinda weird to give up a lottery pick for 2 bench pieces, but I think both of them would be incredibly valuable bench pieces for us(I think they can give us good 45-50 minutes a night and be well above average bench players in the league). Splitter will be our 3d big, not 4th. He was starting for the Spurs when healthy in the last 2-3 seasons. He'd be one of the best 3d bigs in the league(unless his injuries persist). We've discussed Mills before around here... he fills a need for perimeter shooting and would be a great stop-gap PG until Dante is ready to take the reins full time.

Nah

Why do we want to give the Spurs the tools to be successful for another 10 years? That would be a terrible trade.

Burke is hardly a piece to build around for the next 10 years and #12 picks are very far from a sure thing. I know they've been good at developing talent, but I feel like that #12 pick is a long shot at anything special really. If those 2 pieces are indeed the tools that would make a team successful for another 10 years, then I guess we should keep both of them for the long haul.

Just realized the trade was Burke and not Burks, not a terrible trade now.

Last time the Spurs got a late lottery pick it became a NBA Finals MVP.

Not sure why people hype Cory Joseph so much? 3rd string PG.. Just because he plays for the Spurs?

well, have you watched him play basketball? Next, have you considered what he brings for teh price? How much are you working with here?

Better for who? I hope you don't mean the Spurs.

definitely better for us. If they need to cut costs to add LMA, then getting 3 or 4 second-rounders plus cash for two role players isn't exactly a bad deal. They probably won't find buyers offering 1st rounders.

definitely better for us. If they need to cut costs to add LMA, then getting 3 or 4 second-rounders plus cash for two role players isn't exactly a bad deal. They probably won't find buyers offering 1st rounders.

Agree with NAOS here. Splitter is good but not a great fit with our bigs plus giving out the lotto pick is a no go for me.

#12 + Burke for Splitter + Mills anybody?

Hell, yes you do this trade! You're trading a 1st and a chucker for a solid, consistant PG and a big who shoots a high FG% and can play defense. Oh, and both played in the most respected system under a top-3 coach of all time and are both high-character guys.

Hell, yes you do this trade! You're trading a 1st and a chucker for a solid, consistant PG and a big who shoots a high FG% and can play defense. Oh, and both played in the most respected system under a top-3 coach of all time and are both high-character guys.

In a vacuum it isn't bad, but Splitter is a tough fit next to Gobert and Favors. I'd rather get a big that can stretch the floor. There is also the possibility that both of these guys have benefited greatly from the SA system (which we are trying to run, but we are no where near where they are) and they may not be nearly as good away from it.

I like mills and think he'd be a great fit, but am not a big fan of Splitter right now. He's 30 and has just come off two injury filled seasons. He only plays 20 minutes a night but can't stay healthy. Even when healthy its an awkward fit.

If they want to go #12, Booker & any other unguaranteeds we needed to make salary work for Mills/Diaw, #26, and Davis Bertans (An international prospect they own who might fit well). Then that might work for me. I don't know why they'd want Burke... the idea presented by Zach Lowe was that they wanted to make cap room. Burke has about the same cap number as Mills does. If we were to pry Mills away I think it will have to include Diaw, which is fine by me. He is basically on an expiring deal so if he doesn't work just get rid of him and sign someone else. Booker is a cool dude, but he's pretty replaceable imo.

well, have you watched him play basketball? Next, have you considered what he brings for teh price? How much are you working with here?

No, I haven't watched him play. That's the point. He's on the bench as a third string PG.

No, I haven't watched him play. That's the point. He's on the bench as a third string PG.

Actually he played almost twice as many minutes this year than Patty. Posted a higher PER and RPM... To be fair Patty was hurt, but lets not act like Joseph is some D League scrub. He's 3 years younger and he gets after it on D. I'd like Patty better on the team for the next year or two, but long term would probably prefer CoJo.

Oh, and both played in the most respected system under a top-3 coach of all time and are both high-character guys.

There is also the possibility that both of these guys have benefited greatly from the SA system (which we are trying to run, but we are no where near where they are) and they may not be nearly as good away from it.

This. Definitely a concern that these players may not look so good once they leave SA.

There's something odd about this post. It reads as if an actual human wrote it and not a Smurf. Do you have someone helping you, Cappy?

Basketball is the national smurftime, and smurfs are generally pretty knowledgeable on the subject. I have season tickets right underneath the front row. Great seats, except when some smurfed up smurfbag gets too drunk and spills his beer.

Last edited: