What's new

Zach Lowe makes an outline for us: trade possibilities

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/...playoff-casualties-will-spend-for-the-future/

I'd help San Antonio clear some space if it meant getting Mills and/or Diaw. (Also, Splitter isn't listed, but he's definitely a candidate to be traded in a salary dump if they're after Aldridge.)

plenty to discuss here

I read this as well... I think I'd rather have Joseph than Mills, but if it didn't cost us much in the way of assets Mills would have a lower salary ( I think). It would also be a more certain path to getting a better backup instead of relying on free agency. Reading this I do think we can get Joseph for a reasonable offer as matching an offer would screw up their bigger plans. Ditto for Green although I'm not convinced he'll be good unless he finds a good fit.

If we could get motivated in shape Diaw he'd be a great 3rd big... I just remember what happened last time he was away from Pop and it gives me pause.

Splitter would be a great third big and would have some trade value once healthy again. Not an ideal fit with our bigs because he doesn't stretch the floor, but would be great on D and is a fantastic passer.

You know I'm a fan of signing Joseph, but I'd rather have Mills.

Diaw's motivation and age are definitely concerns, but there is so much to like (at least on paper). I'd take both of these guys for second rounders and cash. All day.

Joseph is cool and all, but he is a pure back-up Eisley type. He doesn't really have any standout skills other than being all around alright. He couldn't even play in the playoff series vs. teh Clips. Mills gives you a unique skillset.

I hear you, but Joseph is better than "alright" at defense. I started making my case for him before our defense tightened up... and while I've backed off slightly since then, I'd still take him over Burke. But, yeah, Mills > Joseph.

I wonder what two elite shooters at the perimeter can do for this team... Mills fits that need and in general I like his game better than Cory Joseph. I agree with Cy that CoJo is a long-term back up though. I'd love it if we can somehow pry away Mills and Green from the Spurs. I think that puts us directly into the playoff mix.

Yeah I think it would cost you an asset to acquire Mills though. If I was SA it would cost more than a 2nd rounder for sure. His salary is such a bargain and its clear Parker ain't what he used to be.

I think Joseph is better than Eisley, but yeah he will be a really solid backup and never exceed that. I am thinking long-term that is kind of what we need.

Looking at Diaw contract I wouldn't mind taking that on... He basically has one guaranteed year left... following year is only 3 M guaranteed and year after that is fully unguaranteed. I think it is him or splitter that are most likely to be moved if they need to clear cap space. I think they could easily get a first rounder to send our Splitter. Diaw would have to be a salary dump I think.

Not my first use of our capspace, but not the worst possible scenario by any stretch.

Pure speculation here, but I suspect Joseph's absence during the playoffs had to do with injury. If he was 100% you'd have seen more of him, given how banged up Parker was.

I wonder if you could get Patty and Diaw for unguaranteeds and a second round pick or Neto or something like that. The idea is that Diaw deal is not easy to move so Patty is the sweetner.

Patty would be a pretty damn good fit. Could play the backup point but also could run some two point guard sets because he's a good shooter and Exum is so long.

I am just anxious for us to upgrade our point guard position in some form or fashion. Don't care how it happens whether that is Exum/Trey getting better or bringing in someone else. A stretch big would be nice, but Booker is a decent third big and is fun to watch.

We have to collect all the Aussies, so Mills it is. He would be a great price to add. He's still pretty young as well.

Getting Diaw would be a mistake.

What if that is the price to acquire Mills? He'd obviously be a one or two year stop gap but if motivated he'd be a fine bench piece and has a lot of what we need to mix in our front court.

Mills by himself doesn't open a ton of cap space for them. They could open up almost as much by declining to make the QO on Joseph.

What if that is the price to acquire Mills? He'd obviously be a one or two year stop gap but if motivated he'd be a fine bench piece and has a lot of what we need to mix in our front court.

Mills by himself doesn't open a ton of cap space for them. They could open up almost as much by declining to make the QO on Joseph.

They also have another Aussie in reserve big Aaron Baynes.

I'd be happy with either Joseph or Mills instead of Burke. Ironically Mills was pretty much only known for his playmaking and speed when he first got into the national team, not for his shooting at all. Been strange seeing him as an instant offense kind of guy but he would fit into the Jazz beautifully

If Burke could dribble the ball, that's what we need. We need Joseph AND Mills to fill in the extra roles of our team. But Zach Lowe? He is a great writer, don't get me wrong, but if there is one thing I've learned about writers, it's that they have an agenda. Lowe wants to fill the void, create Jazz basketball. Is that what WE want though? If it is, we should go for it.

- Craig

If Burke could dribble the ball, that's what we need. We need Joseph AND Mills to fill in the extra roles of our team. But Zach Lowe? He is a great writer, don't get me wrong, but if there is one thing I've learned about writers, it's that they have an agenda. Lowe wants to fill the void, create Jazz basketball. Is that what WE want though? If it is, we should go for it.

- Craig
What kind of drugs are you on? I want the opposite.