What's new

Is Exum The Worst Player in The NBA Who Gets Minutes?

Tonight he missed his opens threes, but not like he took bad shots or missed them badly. He made a few good passes. He did a great job of pushing the ball up the court like Snyder likes and he gets the team into their offense quickly. Yes I would like him to shoot more confidently and make them. Yes I would like him to try to draw fouls when he drives instead of kicking it out every time. He has shown the ability to blow by defenders and get to the hoop, wish he would try to do that a little more often. He is concerned about running the offense correctly and not making mistakes, this causes him to play slow and not take chances. The kid will be good in this league once he gets confidence and learns the system. His shot and handle will improve and he already passes well and reads the court well.

Let's just remind ourselves that he is still two years younger than when Trey entered the league and nearly four years younger than Carter-Williams.

Jazzfanz is pretty interesting

If someone like Colorado Jazz posted something like what OP just posted, there would be negs to go around, and shots at the OP's intelligence.

I'm not saying that I don't somewhat agree with Cy here, but I just find it interesting how people react to certain people regardless of what the content of the post is.

I think Jazzfanz is loaded with a bunch of mindless drones that don't dare to lead and are just followers. A lot of people don't dare to say something the majority will disagree with. Or they don't dare to go out on a limb, so they attack whoever does just to fit in, unless that poster is an established popular poster.

I'm waiting to see how people treat Cy in this thread. The experiment is on.

Yeah, what is with human nature that makes us respect someone thats given good insight for ~half a decade vs a noted troll. Weird world we live in.

I think I get what you're saying here. You're saying that when a certain poster gets a reputation for being a dumbass who sucks out loud more often than not, they then somehow attain a reputation for being a crappy poster with little credibility, if any at all. It's almost as if human beings are able to remember the many, many stupid things that have been suggested by said dumbass, and put that person in a different category than non-idiots when considering the source of an idea. Interesting theory.

Kinda wish he wasn't playing in the rising stars game tbh so he could just rest all the way through the break.

It's quite possible he is. I really don't care at this point. It's a bummer he's not making more of an impact right away, but from all accounts he's a smart kid with a great work ethic. If both those things happen to be true then he will be fine. That's what makes or breaks most players like Exum (dudes who have the physical attributes to belong in the league).

Tonight he missed his opens threes, but not like he took bad shots or missed them badly. He made a few good passes. He did a great job of pushing the ball up the court like Snyder likes and he gets the team into their offense quickly. Yes I would like him to shoot more confidently and make them. Yes I would like him to try to draw fouls when he drives instead of kicking it out every time. He has shown the ability to blow by defenders and get to the hoop, wish he would try to do that a little more often. He is concerned about running the offense correctly and not making mistakes, this causes him to play slow and not take chances. The kid will be good in this league once he gets confidence and learns the system. His shot and handle will improve and he already passes well and reads the court well.

This. You can see he's thinking about where he needs to pass, cut, screen. He isn't running the offense for himself as an option. If a seam or lane is there, he's not taking it. I see a kid very focused on running things correctly, not making mistakes and not strong enough yet for the NBA game. Rookies that struggle in January/February are the norm. Why is anybody surprised he's hit a wall?

I've really liked the fact he's so unselfish. He sees the court very well. His defense is good for a rookie. As he gets stronger, he's going to become more confident and assertive. From all accounts he's very intelligent, hard working and mature. Give him time. Coming from Australian high school basketball to the NBA isn't just a steep learning curve. It's like trying to climb Mt. Everest right out of the gate.

If someone like Colorado Jazz posted something like what OP just posted, there would be negs to go around,
I would agree with northColorado jazz if he started this thread.

Having said that, north Colorado jazz has earned his reputation

Good post

It's quite possible he is. I really don't care at this point. It's a bummer he's not making more of an impact right away, but from all accounts he's a smart kid with a great work ethic. If both those things happen to be true then he will be fine. That's what makes or breaks most players like Exum (dudes who have the physical attributes to belong in the league).
Solid

My problem isn't with Exum playing poorly, it's that he doesn't do anything out there. I posted yesterday that he's attempted 14 FT since November 10 - that is shocking for a guy who plays as much as he does and whose strength is speed and quickness. That he has played 271 minutes, 11 games without taking a FT. He doesn't get fouled because there is absolutely no reason to foul him. He doesn't make plays. He doesn't put any pressure on defenses. Mike Conley got to the point last night where he simply had no concern for his man. He knew Exum wouldn't even attempt to take him off the dribble. Hell, Rudy is more of a threat to take a guy off the bounce than Dante. Even on those rare occasions where he makes his three pointers - big deal, so if he can do that on a consistent basis, he's the next Steve Novak? My hell, just do something besides stand at the three point line and either shoot or swing the ball side to side.

I look at Kobe as a rookie. He was younger than Dante and he wasn't that good, but when he got minutes, he actually did ****. In one game in February of his rookie he was 2-9 from the field, but he shot 9 FTs. I wonder if any NBA player has even been this bad while playing this many minutes on a consistent basis and turned into an all-star or borderline all-star player. The consistent and lasting opportunity Dante is getting in terms of playing time is so fortunate for him and he is doing nothing with it.

Last edited:
This is the year to let him figure it all out. Jazz are not oging anywhere. It is all about player improvement. That just happens to be leading the Jazz to a decent draft pick (so far). Jazz are in 6th in the draft as of right now, but Boston, Denver, Detroit and Indiana are all within 2 games of Utah. That would be a big drop in the draft.

just keep focused on improving our team Snyder. You have studs in Hayward, Gobert, Favors and Burks. Potential in Exum and Hood. Still some hope for Burke.

I think I get what you're saying here. You're saying that when a certain poster gets a reputation for being a dumbass who sucks out loud more often than not, they then somehow attain a reputation for being a crappy poster with little credibility, if any at all. It's almost as if human beings are able to remember the many, many stupid things that have been suggested by said dumbass, and put that person in a different category than non-idiots when considering the source of an idea. Interesting theory.

Do you know why you two read my posts?

Who gets minutes, more specifically 20+ per game. Of course there are scrubs on 10-day contracts who never see the court who aren't as good as Exum.

Nik Stauskas, Foye, Ryan Kelly, Kirk Hinrich, Gary Harris, Kyle Anderson, Probably Lance Stephenson, Mike Miller, Channing Frye. I think these players are playing worse than Exum this year. I am sure there are more.