What's new

11/15/14: Utah Jazz at Toronto Raptors, 5:30 pm (local)

Pacers scored a total of 50 pts for a whole game tonight.

I get to watch live play a lot less than some of you guys, so I could be missing stuff. But what I've seen directly contradicts this. Exum either gives the ball up immediately upon getting into the front court, or if he keeps it will run a pick-and-roll and/or try to get into the paint. But I have actually only seen about 20% of his play this season.

I think Cy's reference to Exum's play is true. He is not as aggressive as Burkes. In the 1st and 2nd Qtr, I had time to get out my note pad (like fishonjazz does for Burks) to record both Exum and Burkes activities. ( started with the score was 11-12.) But the summary was that Burke has near 100% 'pressure the defense' activities (I didn't count handing the ball off to the big guy to start stuff) But in the flow of the offense, Exum would pause or not use the screen fully - he rated 50% ish in 'pressuring the defense' for the 20ish mins I recorded.

(by pressuring the defense, I mean take an action that required the defense to react or get beat or get behind the offense.)

Also from this and from general, non-note taking observation, burkes TO's come from this activity - pressuring. He's generally not stupid with the ball. And this is an example of the Jazz aiming for development, and so they must allow burkes to keep doing this inspite of the turn-overs he gets doing this. If he grows up in this process he is a keeper. If he doesn't it means he's simply not physically gifted enough to be NBA starter.)

So we played 5 games in 7 days on the road.
Second game of a b2b and we are playing 42 minutes of some good basketball against (maybe) the best team in the East right now. And we were in all of our games. Gotta love that.

And way to be a LEADER Mr. Hayward!
Gordon:
I think it’s important for me to play just to have my presence out there to show the guys we’ve got to fight through adversity.

https://twitter.com/DJJazzyJody/status/533823911872323584

Also, regarding Burkes' defense... there were times in the second half where his physical posture was not correct and getting worked by Lou Williams. This includes the weak sauce 4pt play opportunity of someone in the corner and a couple of mid-range shake and bakes by Lou. I think he's exhausted and the Raptors coach made a nice move putting a fresh dude out there (Williams) who is all offense to take advantage. But again, I think this year + one offseason is a reasonable time to see if he can take the jump to the next level he needs to start being able to handle a quality dude like Lowry.

And finally with respect to Burkes and Exum and shooting... First it is clear that there is brick element to Burkes shooting. Second, he is pushing himself on drives to the hoop and so he takes some low percentage shots. This is acceptable to me. He has to learn. Additionally, he takes a lot of difficult long range shots. This is both by choice (poor choice) and some because there is nothing left but for him to give it a shot. Exum never or rarely has that kind of contested shot. He's doing his work primarily on isolated catch and shoots for 3s and always defers at the end of the shot clock. So there respective stats are not indicative of what they are being asked to do.
He is the only one that is consistently taking the long range 2pter off the screen. I think this is acceptable to QS and TB is asked to do that. Watching Lillard be so dangerous at that range, including 3pt and beyond a little, is the emulation goal for Burke. but right now he's doing long range 2's, which are considered the worst shot to try. So it is just the stepping stone to being a guy you must 'go over the screen' on.
The claim is the QS is the development coach super hero. We'll see if he can help Burke. And lets see if Burke is willing to be precise and diligent enough to become an NBA starter.
BTW. Watching Mansap grow from a fringe player in the beginning who "had a nose for the ball" to such a smooth, legit NBA starter makes me have hope in most everyone who appears to have NBA talent - like Burke. Maybe Sap had more skill that was evident or maybe he's a consummate worker. I hope Trey has it though and I haven't given up on him. (There's no need to.)

Also, regarding Burkes' defense... there were times in the second half where his physical posture was not correct and getting worked by Lou Williams. This includes the weak sauce 4pt play opportunity of someone in the corner and a couple of mid-range shake and bakes by Lou. I think he's exhausted and the Raptors coach made a nice move putting a fresh dude out there (Williams) who is all offense to take advantage. But again, I think this year + one offseason is a reasonable time to see if he can take the jump to the next level he needs to start being able to handle a quality dude like Lowry.

crazy thing is IIRC burke got called for a foul on a 3 TWICE. how does that happen? We were jumping at every pump fake (nearly the whole team, not just burke).... Snyder needs to remedy that.

Didn't get to watch this game. It would have been a crazy win - the Raptors are solid. How did Kanter look on defense? I hope he wasn't the one guarding Patterson (checked the box score).

raptors are for real guys. they will be top 4 seed. just awful 2nd half. we just couldn't get it going. **** happens in a back to back road trip games.

Reactions: MVP
Okay, here's the thing Quin: The PRESEASON IS OVER!

The time for experimenting with lineups, substitution patterns, and working on player development has to take a backseat to trying to win during the regular season.

Bringing back the starters at 12 minutes in 4th was DUMB. Then you decide to plug back in the bench players at random times during the 4th? Abominable coaching.

And thus, it has begun.

What's not to understand.
I'm confused I guess.

I swear I looked at scores tonight and saw the pacers blown out and only totalling 50 pts.

Looked just now and they scored 99

His name is Burke. You're actually making good posts beside misspelling his name.

Exum is definitely guilty of some of those things.

We get into the offense slower with Exum. He dribbles aimlessly too, instead of chucking up a shot last second though he will give it to a teammate in an incredibly bad position with 1-2 seconds on the shot clock. He also has a lot of careless TO's.

The minutes split is good right now.

While I don't think Exum is ready to start, I do think he has been playing better than Trey. His defense is significantly better and he's a much better passer. No, he doesn't have much of an offensive game yet, but he is far from being a chucker. Yes, he makes mistakes but that's to be expected. And I don't see him dribbling around aimlessly as Cy claims.

While I don't think Exum is ready to start, I do think he has been playing better than Trey. His defense is significantly better and he's a much better passer. No, he doesn't have much of an offensive game yet, but he is far from being a chucker. Yes, he makes mistakes but that's to be expected. And I don't see him dribbling around aimlessly as Cy claims.
I don't think the jazz play better with him on the floor. On top of everything Cy said, which was spot on, Exum has the tendency to pass the ball then hide deep in the corner, as if to avoid getting the ball back. He still has a lot of growing to do. But I am very optimistic he'll be something very special.

I'm confused I guess.

I swear I looked at scores tonight and saw the pacers blown out and only totalling 50 pts.

Looked just now and they scored 99

Yea i saw this after i saw your post. It definitely had the score wrong for a while.