What's new

2013 Chicago Combine May 15-19

Does anyone know if they are putting this on NBATV again? I know they did it last year and they spent way too much time with the camera on Chad Ford's face.

Would rather Schroeder have previous commitments but oh well. I'm growing increasingly skeptical he'll be there at 14.

Would rather Schroeder have previous commitments but oh well. I'm growing increasingly skeptical he'll be there at 14.

That's the reason I've cooled right off on Schroeder, the same way I cooled right off of Burke when he was projected top #7 a couple of months ago.

And to think Burke was a potential #14 pick, with Schroeder a possible 2nd rounder barely 3 months ago...

#LifeSux

If we completely missed out on any PG this year, but Antetokounmpo turns out to be a real steal, then I'd be cool with that.

I'd be very cool with that, to be honest witchu.

It's going to be hard to keep the Jazz from getting Schroeder, McCollum or Giannis in this draft. I'm also okay with Goodwin, which I've expounded upon ad nauseum.

Re: Plumlee - I'm assuming Chad Ford remembers that Noel is still in the draft. Not sure what's so exciting about Plumlee here.

Also, both Tim Hardaway Jr. and Glen Rice Jr. seem underrated to me. Both could go in the 20s.

It's going to be hard to keep the Jazz from getting Schroeder, McCollum or Giannis in this draft. I'm also okay with Goodwin, which I've expounded upon ad nauseum.

Re: Plumlee - I'm assuming Chad Ford remembers that Noel is still in the draft. Not sure what's so exciting about Plumlee here.

Also, both Tim Hardaway Jr. and Glen Rice Jr. seem underrated to me. Both could go in the 20s.

It'll be easy to at least get 1 though, wouldn't you say?

Does anyone know if they are putting this on NBATV again? I know they did it last year and they spent way too much time with the camera on Chad Ford's face.

chadford052410-thumb-320x240-12465.jpg

ESPN networks will exclusively present 10 hours of live 2013 NBA Draft Combine coverage from the Hope Athletic Center in Chicago, Ill. May 16-17. Both days, ESPNU will televise four hours of coverage from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. ET, while ESPN2 will televise coverage from 2 to 3 p.m. The NBA Draft Combine will also be available via WatchESPN.

ESPN’s fourth annual NBA Draft Combine coverage will include interviews with players, coaches, scouts and team executives. Additionally, NBA Draft Combine viewers will get an inside look at how the expected top draft picks fair in several skills challenges, including Vertical Leap, Lane Agility Drill and ¾ Court Sprint. ESPNU and ESPN2 will also scroll the top performers in each category. Combine coverage will also be included in various SportsCenter segments.

Commentators
Ryen Russillo (ESPN Radio’s SVP & Russillo) will host ESPN’s coverage with college basketball analyst Jay Williams, NBA analyst Tom Penn, college basketball analyst and International basketball expert Fran Fraschilla, NBA Insider Chad Ford and college basketball reporter Andy Katz.

Scott Howard-Cooper @SHowardCooper Louisville C Gorgui Dieng in a walking boot and out of drills at pre-draft camp because of sprained right ankle. Nothing serious, he says.

Another one bites the dust!

I expect the Jazz will try to bring him in for a workout. He probably won't come. Already predicted to go higher than 14.

That could really mess with the Jazz on draft day. If he falls, they may have to make a decision at 14 or 21 without seeing him in a workout---that has led to some disaters in the past.

Scott Howard-Cooper @SHowardCooper It's an epidemic. Just saw San Diego State SG Jamaal Franklin. He is also in a walking boot.'Sprained left ankle and out of drills.

I don't know what is worse, agents or Derek Fisher.

Scott Howard-Cooper @SHowardCooper It's an epidemic. Just saw San Diego State SG Jamaal Franklin. He is also in a walking boot.'Sprained left ankle and out of drills.

I don't know what is worse, agents or Derek Fisher.

When Derek Fisher is done "playing", and becomes an agent... we won't have to ask that question anymore.

From Chad Ford Chat at the Combine:

Seth Curry is injured and won't be participating in the drills and athletic testing, so it will be hard to help his stock here. Ditto for Ryan Kelly.

Jared (Orlando, FL)Do you know why Michael Snaer was not invited to the combine?

Chad Ford (1:41 PM)The NBA provides all 30 teams with a ballot of a few hundred draft-eligible players. Each team votes for 60 players & NBA tallies the votes. The NBA invites the players receiving the most votes from teams with an eye toward arriving at (or near) 60 total participants. Snaer, surprisingly, didn't make the cut.

What are the main things scouts keep an eye out for during the combine?

Chad Ford (1:08 PM)It's tough honestly. The top players won't participate in the drills. The rest will, but truthfully, the drills won't tell you much. One thing they look for is effort and energy. When players don't take this seriously, it's a red flag. They'll be looking for conditioning. Who has been working out and getting their body better. Some times they are looking to see whether a prospect has been working on a weakness. Have the adjusted shot mechanics or tightened up a handle. Interviews and the medical are the two biggest things. This is their first time to meet the players and ask them tough questions. Obviously the medical is the first chance for team doctors to have a look. Most overrated is the athletic testing. It's sexy, but doesn't have a huge impact on draft decisions.

Kind of ****ty how some players get an invite and say they won't be doing stuff last second. Might as well let the NBA know ahead of time so they could invite someone else instead.