What's new

2013 Chicago Combine May 15-19

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsiderNo surprise, but Ben McLemore also pulling out of drills portion of NBA Draft Combine. Will participate in athletic testing....More top prospects pulling out of drills portion of NBA draft combine: CJ McCollum, Cody Zeller, Michael Carter-Williams

from an ESPN interview from the Combine:

Q. The other question is more generic about what the NBA teams get out of the combine as opposed to running drills, I suppose, and measuring and so on, as opposed to what they see in actual competition in college games or in other settings?

FORD: I think one thing is this is a lot of times the first time that head coaches and coaching staff are really seeing these guys. They are so busy during the season coaching their own teams and scouting other NBA teams they don’t have a lot of time to get out and really scout these players, so this is often their exposure to this. And depending on the NBA team, some coaches have more of a say or less of a say in that drafting process, so that’s big.
Frankly for some of these GMs they are out extensively scouting throughout the year and some of them don’t. So, again, for some of the GMs, this is the first time in the gym with these players and first impressions can mean a lot.
As far as what they learn from an actual scouting perspective, I don’t think there is much there. I think the actual interviews they do with the players are much bigger. This is the first time that they’re allowed to sit down with the players and actually talk with them, they have to bring team psychologists in, and they bring the team doctors there to check them out medically. This is the first time for them to have that one on one experience with the players. And I think if you talk to most NBA teams, that is the thing that they get the most out of it.
Maybe one other thing I’d say is it’s the only time that all of these players are going to be on the floor together, so you get to see relative size, relative athleticism, relative skill level compared to each other on the floor at the same time. But as far as changing scouting reports or things like that, that doesn’t really happen at this event.
FRASCHILLA: I think Chad summarized it, but specific to U.K., two years ago when Enes Kanter came here after not playing at Kentucky the one year that he was there, teams seemed to be very impressed with how good of shape he was in, the way he ran the floor, how hard he worked on the drills.
So it’s kind of window dressing a little bit for those people that have studied these players on a year round basis. But this is just one more slice of the pie, if you will, in terms of putting all the information together that’s going to go into the draft room on June 27.

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsiderNo surprise, but Ben McLemore also pulling out of drills portion of NBA Draft Combine. Will participate in athletic testing....More top prospects pulling out of drills portion of NBA draft combine: CJ McCollum, Cody Zeller, Michael Carter-Williams

from an ESPN interview from the Combine:

Q. The other question is more generic about what the NBA teams get out of the combine as opposed to running drills, I suppose, and measuring and so on, as opposed to what they see in actual competition in college games or in other settings?

FORD: I think one thing is this is a lot of times the first time that head coaches and coaching staff are really seeing these guys. They are so busy during the season coaching their own teams and scouting other NBA teams they don’t have a lot of time to get out and really scout these players, so this is often their exposure to this. And depending on the NBA team, some coaches have more of a say or less of a say in that drafting process, so that’s big.
Frankly for some of these GMs they are out extensively scouting throughout the year and some of them don’t. So, again, for some of the GMs, this is the first time in the gym with these players and first impressions can mean a lot.
As far as what they learn from an actual scouting perspective, I don’t think there is much there. I think the actual interviews they do with the players are much bigger. This is the first time that they’re allowed to sit down with the players and actually talk with them, they have to bring team psychologists in, and they bring the team doctors there to check them out medically. This is the first time for them to have that one on one experience with the players. And I think if you talk to most NBA teams, that is the thing that they get the most out of it.
Maybe one other thing I’d say is it’s the only time that all of these players are going to be on the floor together, so you get to see relative size, relative athleticism, relative skill level compared to each other on the floor at the same time. But as far as changing scouting reports or things like that, that doesn’t really happen at this event.
FRASCHILLA: I think Chad summarized it, but specific to U.K., two years ago when Enes Kanter came here after not playing at Kentucky the one year that he was there, teams seemed to be very impressed with how good of shape he was in, the way he ran the floor, how hard he worked on the drills.
So it’s kind of window dressing a little bit for those people that have studied these players on a year round basis. But this is just one more slice of the pie, if you will, in terms of putting all the information together that’s going to go into the draft room on June 27.

with mccullums injury not participating I think will hurt him. teams will want to see if he is fully healed. I am hoping this might throw up a few red flags.

McCollum could still do the athletic testing and meet with team doctors if that's an issue. But he could have killed it in the shooting drills and helped his stock, I think, just given that he's not been on the court in a while.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpressOn international front Dennis Schroeder and Rudy Gobert are here. Schroeder won't do any drills (tooth pain?) But Gobert will do everything.

Thats Great! I took the day off to watch Shcroder because he is the next Stockton, Francis, Rondo, Kevin Johnson, westbrook, Rose, Wall, Payton and aminu combined.

Derek Fisher gave Ricky Schroder some PG advice, and now he's opting out because of tooth pains?

Don't listen Ricky, he's a liar.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpressOn international front Dennis Schroeder and Rudy Gobert are here. Schroeder won't do any drills (tooth pain?) But Gobert will do everything.

Thats Great! I took the day off to watch Shcroder because he is the next Stockton, Francis, Rondo, Kevin Johnson, westbrook, Rose, Wall, Payton and aminu combined.

You forgot Isaiah Thomas. Fail.

Not sure if its been posted-

@My_Lo: Jerry Sloan and Tyrone Corbin sitting next to each other here at the NBA Draft combine.

Jerry is telling him that he has forgot more basketball than Ty will ever know
He probably also said to ignore those stupid fans, they're a bunch of jackpotters and that he needs Hayward and Burks to be making guards, not shooting guards.

Chad Ford @chadfordinsider Best two players I've seen at the Combine today have been Steven Adams and Rudy Gobert. Both helping themselves a lot here. (enough to jump into the 8-13 range and push somebody else down to the Jazz?)

Sean Deveney @SeanDeveney UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad said he has weighed in at 220, wants to be 218. He said he was 230 when he first took the court this year.

Yannis Koutroupis @YannisHW Shabazz Muhammad said that he really wants to play shooting guard at the next level because of his size.

Mary Schmitt Boyer/Jodie Valade @PDcavsinsider Otto Porter Jr says he's not scheduled to meet with #Cavs this weekend. Remember Cavs drafted 2 guys they didn't interview last year (if you haven't heard Cleveland fans, and supposedly Cavs Managment want Otto bad).

Chris Mannix @ChrisMannixSI Otto Porter has interviewed with Charlotte, Phoenix and OKC. Says he looks at Cleveland, Phoenix and Orlando as being the best fit. (OKC ? Please NO!)

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress No one can score on Rudy Gobert inside the paint. Block, deflections, steals. Changing everything around the rim(7-1, 235, will be gone before Jazz draft at 14.)

Rick Bonnell @rick_bonnell CJ Leslie suffered a wrist injury dunking a week ago. That takes him out of Combine drills, but he said he'll be able to work out for teams. (I wouldn't touch Leslie with anything before the 55th pick.)

Jason Quick @jwquick UCLA G/F Shabazz Muhammad and Syrcause F James Southerland have interviewed with the Blazers at the Chicago Combine. Teams get 18 interviews (Do Jazz get more interviews because they have 2 first round picks? Any chance that the new 'loose lips sink ships' Jazz will reveal who they interviewed?

Also Why or how in the world did OKC get to interview Otto if they have only 18 interviews and the 11, 29, and 32 picks. Think they would save the interviews for players more likely to be in their range. Because if they get a top 3 pick Otto will come and visit them if they ask.

Chris Mannix @ChrisMannixSI Muhammad, occasionally unprompted, gushed about Portland. Says he would be a great fit between Lillard and @LaMarcus Aldridge.

I think Gobert goes in the lottery and gives us a better shot at Schroder. He's impressing today, and he'll impress as much as anyone when the measurements come out.

I cant watch right now, but apparently the PGs are on TV right now. Too bad Shcoaedor has a tooth ache. (I want the Jazz to draft him just for the fun of years of misspelling his name.)

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress Point guard group on now. Ten guys who could be ranked 100 different ways depending on the team. Solid group. Guys really competing so far.

I cant watch right now, but apparently the PGs are on TV right now. Too bad Shcoaedor has a tooth ache. (I want the Jazz to draft him just for the fun of years of misspelling his name.)

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress Point guard group on now. Ten guys who could be ranked 100 different ways depending on the team. Solid group. Guys really competing so far.

I keep waiting for them to talk about Schroder. They've talked to/about Burke, McCollum, MCW, Larkin, Jackson, and Kabongo. They're saving the best for last?