What's new

2020 Training Camp Thread

Well, the Jazz will definitely be the deepest team at Center in the NBA. The question is, is that useful? Especially since it means we are basically never going to have a Center who can stretch the opposing defense.

It seems to me that 90% of this is retaining the flexibility to trade Rudy if it comes to that.

Well, the Jazz will definitely be the deepest team at Center in the NBA. The question is, is that useful? Especially since it means we are basically never going to have a Center who can stretch the opposing defense.

It seems to me that 90% of this is retaining the flexibility to trade Rudy if it comes to that.
I know that this won't make everyone happy here, but it seems abundantly clear that the Jazz are entirely happy going without a center who stretches the defense (in the sense you're using). Defending the paint and providing a roller for the P&R seem much higher on their list of desirable center attributes.

I know that this won't make everyone happy here, but it seems abundantly clear that the Jazz are entirely happy going without a center who stretches the defense (in the sense you're using). Defending the paint and providing a roller for the P&R seem much higher on their list of desirable center attributes.
You can find players that do all or most of the above with some effort, which the Jazz have decided to show very little of. They’re not terribly common, but they can be found and developed.

As long as they aren’t trying two dudes with scant ball skills on the floor at the same time, it’s fine. But finding a big that can do all those things would make a seismic impact on this team.

Last edited:

I don’t think so. Tony Jones basically said they won’t trade Rudy whether or not he signs.

I think if Udoka shows he’s ready they might consider trading Favs next year... kind of a dick move on our part but he knows the business.

I don’t think so. Tony Jones basically said they won’t trade Rudy whether or not he signs.

I think if Udoka shows he’s ready they might consider trading Favs next year... kind of a dick move on our part but he knows the business.
Well, we did him a solid and traded him on his $20M non guaranteed rather than waiving him. And we signing him to a full MLE for three years which he probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere else.

Well, we did him a solid and traded him on his $20M non guaranteed rather than waiving him. And we signing him to a full MLE for three years which he probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere else.
Right but DL would still have to do it... you think he can? Remember he couldn’t stomach benching Mike Conley. He’s a sensitive fella.

Udoka was drafted because he agreed to get paid like a second rounder. @stitches is right.

Although...it probably would have made more sense to just trade down again for more seconds and take him in the second round.

Conley is in Covid protocol after being in close contact with a family member who tested positive. Will he miss any games? This isn’t good news he will at the very least miss practice time and get off to another slow start.

Conley is in Covid protocol after being in close contact with a family member who tested positive. Will he miss any games? This isn’t good news he will at the very least miss practice time and get off to another slow start.
It's far from optimal but it will be a common problem for all the teams for at least first half of this season.

The Jazz prioritize rim protection, rebounding, setting screens and rim finishing. Three of those things require the big to be at the rim. The Jazz also talk about "vertical spacing," which refers to having a big with gravity rolling to the rim to pull defenders away from shooters. A big that's a 3pt shooting threat is nice, but the Jazz really like their high-low game, and they want 40%+ 3pt shooters taking the 3pt shots.

He'll still have two full weeks of practices before regular-season games start.

Sorry, I'm talking out of my *** here. This isn't news....but it makes all the sense in the world. This is most logical way the Jazz are getting under the tax.

They traded down to #27 from #23 ostensibly to pay him a little less and to pick up a 2nd rounder. Dok's salary is $1.977M, which is in line with other late 1st rounders.

They traded down to #27 from #23 ostensibly to pay him a little less and to pick up a 2nd rounder. Dok's salary is $1.977M, which is in line with other late 1st rounders.

$1.97M is 120% of the rookie scale. Which is standard for all first rounders. But he can sign for as little as 80% of the scale. If he signs for less than 120%, the Jazz will get under the tax by cutting NWG or Morgan.