What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

Cavs looking into trades for the pick apparently. Allen and #3 for Gobert is interesting. Would love Mitchell just for the memes and how badly we need perimeter defense. But if we had a pick that high probably need to go with Suggs or Green.

Gobert could elevate Cleveland to a playoff team.
Moses Moody. Jalen Green, or Kuminga would be my pick at 3 assuming the consensus guys go 1/2.

Houston at 2 is interesting.

Consensus is Evan Mobley, but Evan Mobley/Christian Wood are redundant and will probably get in each other's way.

The one good thing about taking Udoka last year is that I'm pretty confident they wont draft another big.
I liked Udoka pre-draft and I think he is a better prospect than Ibou, Usman Garuba and Sengun. So that may have been in play when drafting Dok but I don't know what the philosophy is in when incorporating future draft classes into the pool or whether they do it at all.

Jazz will need to take a hard look at Brandon Boston from UK. He was a top-7 recruit coming out of high school and had a mediocre freshman season. He was recruited by UK, Duke, Auburn and Florida. In some ways, his situation is a bit similar to Jaden McDaniels' last year. Boston is a 6'6" / 190-lb wing with some handle, wiggle and touch. He can score in a variety of ways and also break the paint and make a play with the pass. Defensively, he has some length and good anticipation in passing lanes.

Drafting at #30, it's hard to see the Jazz having a chance to draft another player as dynamic as Boston. His freshman stats aren't good, but there's a lot of talent there to develop, and the Jazz would have him for 4 years on late-1st rookie-scale. Picture a 6'6" Jordan Clarkson with more length and defense. I actually feel a bit better about Boston right now than Ziaire Williams.

How did we pass on McDaniels last year? He seemed to be exactly what we needed

John G at ESPN's first crack at the Jazz mock choice:

30. Utah Jazz

i
Miles McBride
West Virginia
PG

Coming off a phenomenal regular season, the Jazz might look to add backcourt depth after coming up short in the playoffs due to injuries. McBride is a tough-minded, multipositional defender with good shooting indicators and plenty of upside to grow into long term. He'll fit the Jazz culture and is the type of player who should be comfortable playing off stars.

If the Jazz had the huevos, I think they'd draft Brandon Boston at #30 believing that with the right coaching he could be pre-injury Shaun Livingston with a jumpshot.

Last edited:
How did we pass on McDaniels last year? He seemed to be exactly what we needed
He was a bit of a project.. but his brother doing well should have been a little bit of an indicator that it wasn't as big of a gamble as you might think.

If you wanted upside McDaniels was the clear bet. If you wanted a guy that will be a rotation player right away and has some upside... Bane was the guy. We drafted another center that will hopefully be ready for backup duty in 3 years. Nailed it.

I'll try to do a few comps here to project possible outcomes for some of the players I've listed:

Roko Prkacin --> He's the Rui Hachimura of this draft, but he passes and rebounds better than Rui.
Greg Brown --> You hope he's Jerami Grant, but you're not sure the shooting will ever happen. Until then, he's Jared Vanderbilt with a bit more bounce.
Brandon Boston --> Could be Shaun Livingston, but he's not ready yet. He needs reps on the ball and needs to learn how to make reads and create, but he's got the height and length of Cade Cunningham, so it's totally worth trying. He can at least defend at the point of attack, and probably do it at least as well as Dante Exum. Great switchable defender with all kinds of offensive upside. His tools are lottery caliber.

Greg Brown is playing at the Combine. He'd be a reasonable guy for the Jazz to take at #30. He does some Jerami Grant things.

Greg Brown is playing at the Combine. He'd be a reasonable guy for the Jazz to take at #30. He does some Jerami Grant things.

He averaged .4 assist per game. He had like a 11 game streak without an assist. 4 of his 10 assist on the season came in one game.

He's hard to really believe in despite the tools.