What's new

2023 Mock Draft - Take 2

Cam vs Amen vs Jarace is an interesting debate the FO is probably thinking about now, not just if we have lotto luck but also if we want to trade up. I really like Jarace, I think he is the most likely to be an all star....but I think both Cam and Amen are more likely to be all nba level players with wider ranges of outcomes. Cam checks almost all the boxes for me. The playmaking and shooting needs improvement, but I think he'll get there with the shooting and he will be a tough cover even with an iffy jumpshot. His combo of power/speed is elite. Amen is likely the best athlete in the draft but that shot is so broken and I'm not sure he's got elite enough passing/rim finishing to account for the shooting concern.

I’m not a draft for fit guy but Cam fits really well imo… and if the roster changes he still fits… because that player type is really flexible. May regret passing on Amen… I’m probably lower on Walker than most.

I think it will work out for me.

Cam vs Amen vs Jarace is an interesting debate the FO is probably thinking about now, not just if we have lotto luck but also if we want to trade up. I really like Jarace, I think he is the most likely to be an all star....but I think both Cam and Amen are more likely to be all nba level players with wider ranges of outcomes. Cam checks almost all the boxes for me. The playmaking and shooting needs improvement, but I think he'll get there with the shooting and he will be a tough cover even with an iffy jumpshot. His combo of power/speed is elite. Amen is likely the best athlete in the draft but that shot is so broken and I'm not sure he's got elite enough passing/rim finishing to account for the shooting concern.
I would add Ausar to that debate

The 4th spot in this draft is a hazard for a GM's career. Cam is the right pick but you will be harassed in the Media for doing it.

I would add Ausar to that debate

Ausar's shot appears to be less broken, which is a huge deal, but the people who have had a close watch on the two all seem to think that Ausar is not the same level of athlete or generally skilled player. If you're going to open the mystery box, you might as take Amen.

Cam was a guy that was ranked in the 3-5 range preseason. Thumb surgery I think is a legitimate reason for some of his shooting issues. The shot has great form. I think his performance deserves a little context but he might end up as just a solid wing instead of an all star wing… but I think his upside is just as high as Amens and his red flag(s) are less red.

The 4th spot in this draft is a hazard for a GM's career. Cam is the right pick but you will be harassed in the Media for doing it.
And after Cam mashes on someone in summer league I’ll raise double fingers at Andy and Tony and Eric and declare victory.

I say this with all sincerity: Seek help, PGAB.
anthony black aint no point guard in the nba, he is at best a slashing point forward off the bench if he adds a corner 3.
help is out there for those who seek it, i myself smash it with a iron fist

If I thought my team was gonna tank for another year or two I’d go after Amen… but I think until the shot comes he will really hurt his teams… where can can blend in and develop now while being positive/neutral. If you are trying to make the playoffs and balance a big development curve it can be tough… not sure you want Amen blending in if he’s a cornerstone and his position will mean he likely has a large role… it’s just kinda tough.

Cam was a guy that was ranked in the 3-5 range preseason. Thumb surgery I think is a legitimate reason for some of his shooting issues. The shot has great form. I think his performance deserves a little context but he might end up as just a solid wing instead of an all star wing… but I think his upside is just as high as Amens and his red flag(s) are less red.

I think his form is a little slowish....maybe I've just been watching too much Hawkins and thinking that everyone has a machine gun shot. What's encouraging to me about his shot is that he has the lowest assisted% out of anyone. His spot up and catch and shoot numbers were great 85+ percentile according to article I can't seem to find anymore. So it seems that at minimum he will be fine spacing off the ball and knocking down shots. The bigger question is if he can knock down 3's off the dribble, but if he can do that he's a superstar.

I kinda wonder if things would be viewed differently if Cam was healthy from the start and played in an up and down system. At Villanova it's like driving a muscle car through a school zone. I know I make fun of people for always using this stuff as an excuse, but he was pretty good in this bogged down situation with a lot to make you believe he would have been even better playing for someone else. One of the youngest players in the draft too.

I agree with the last part. I think Amen is more intriguing and unique....but Cam is the better prospect with the same ceiling. Amen needs more work, but is also a lot older.

Ausar's shot appears to be less broken, which is a huge deal, but the people who have had a close watch on the two all seem to think that Ausar is not the same level of athlete or generally skilled player. If you're going to open the mystery box, you might as take Amen.

It’s hard to tell who is more athletic.
B5D40AAE-EDFC-4203-9A69-C36BB5D8BDB1.jpeg

I think his form is a little slowish....maybe I've just been watching too much Hawkins and thinking that everyone has a machine gun shot. What's encouraging to me about his shot is that he has the lowest assisted% out of anyone. His spot up and catch and shoot numbers were great 85+ percentile according to article I can't seem to find anymore. So it seems that at minimum he will be fine spacing off the ball and knocking down shots. The bigger question is if he can knock down 3's off the dribble, but if he can do that he's a superstar.

I kinda wonder if things would be viewed differently if Cam was healthy from the start and played in an up and down system. At Villanova it's like driving a muscle car through a school zone. I know I make fun of people for always using this stuff as an excuse, but he was pretty good in this bogged down situation with a lot to make you believe he would have been even better playing for someone else. One of the youngest players in the draft too.

I agree with the last part. I think Amen is more intriguing and unique....but Cam is the better prospect with the same ceiling. Amen needs more work, but is also a lot older.
I also think the wings I have access to at the back half of the lotto may be good but have less upside... and there is a small chance one of the guards I like slides. To explain the other part of my thinking on Cam vs. Amen.

If I thought my team was gonna tank for another year or two I’d go after Amen… but I think until the shot comes he will really hurt his teams… where can can blend in and develop now while being positive/neutral. If you are trying to make the playoffs and balance a big development curve it can be tough… not sure you want Amen blending in if he’s a cornerstone and his position will mean he likely has a large role… it’s just kinda tough.
I think this makes sense. I would still go for Amen over Cam, but I think going for the more ready prospect could make sense for the Jazz if they viewed their talent levels as not that different.