What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Also, I like Vecenie overall, but some of the **** he says just annoys me. Like this:

But scouts have loved what they’ve seen in what has become a relatively question-filled class.

Can someone point me to a draft that was not question filled? What the **** does this even mean?

Also, I like Vecenie overall, but some of the **** he says just annoys me. Like this:

Can someone point me to a draft that was not question filled? What the **** does this even mean?
Might refer to the injuries for some of the top guys. That part has been kind of different. But yeah... Sam is funny sometimes.

For a little while Black looked like a top 5 pick but I think he is more likely to be in that 8-12 range now. With Smith going down for an extended period I think we all hoped to see him step up as more of a lead wing and he just hasn't.

One question is whether he can shoot. He's a good defender and an adequate setup guy. He can attack the rim if he has space. I thought he'd be handling the ball more than he is. If he doesn't want to be a lead-guard type and he's just another big guard or wing, I could see him slipping in the draft.

George has a ton of "it factor".........but am I off in thinking he looks smaller than advertised?

I feel comfortable comparing him to Tyrese Maxey. I'd like to see him take easier shots. He's got a motor, good feel, plays defense and shoots. He's a nice player. He's not a vertically explosive rim finisher. He's not going to be the #1-option guy that he's trying to be at Baylor, but he could probably be a solid starter imo.

GG Jackson at 15. Ferg might explode.

I'm not exploding. I think Vecenie is wrong on this, but I'm not that combustible about it. The NBA is dominated by long, athletic wings who score at three levels. The hardest thing to get in the draft is a player with positional size who has enough self-creation to be a primary offensive threat. GG is ahead of schedule, and he's going to look better on a spaced floor than he does at South Carolina where really only one or two other guys are respectable shooters. That said, he's very young and raw. I could see teams not wanting to wait an extra year or two to develop him.

I disagree with a few other things in Vecenie's mock. For one, Vecenie is a big Cason Wallace guy, and I think realistically he's got Wallace at least 5 spots too high. He's giving the benefit of every doubt to Dariq Whitehead, and I think Whitehead is likely to slip to the end of the lottery or even lower. Wait til Whitehead measures out just short of 6'5" without shoes. I think Jett Howard is more likely to go in the lottery than Gradey Dick, and I would flip those two players in Vecenie's mock.

I think Vecenie over-scrutinizes certain players. He's obsessed with how flexible certain players' hips are and whether they have what he calls "bend." He's also assuming that Brandon Miller is going to markedly improve his lower-body strength, improve his slow footwork, tighten his loose handle and evolve into a guy who can get separation and score in the paint. To me, that's a reach.

If Maxwell Lewis falls to #19, that's a steal.

Also, as luke-warm as I've been on Kyle Filipowski, I think he'll go higher than were Sam has him mocked. He'll probably be in the same neighborhood as Baba Miller. Baba just played his first game and didn't do much.

Last edited:
I’m an Athletic subscriber and read Vecenie’s mock first thing this morning and LOL’d within 2 mins.

So many things I think he’s so far off on. I feel like every draft has an early consensus so everyone falls in line to not look stupid when there are cold hard results poking them right in the face but group think takes over.

I’m an Athletic subscriber and read Vecenie’s mock first thing this morning and LOL’d within 2 mins.

So many things I think he’s so far off on. I feel like every draft has an early consensus so everyone falls in line to not look stupid when there are cold hard results poking them right in the face but group think takes over.
Where did he have Sensabaugh listed?

NBADraftroom came to its senses and moved Brandon Miller down to #7 in their mock draft, one spot behind the infallible GG Jackson.

Kris Murray looked great tonight for Iowa. He's being underestimated somewhat and should probably be a top-20ish lock.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJvKo5Th98

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xof1cW2_hW0

I was listening to the Lowe/hHuerter interview and Huerter said Keegan is one of those dudes who just likes basketball and has basically no other major interest/hobbies. Real vanilla dude. Guessing Kris is probably similar. I do see him as a guaranteed pro at this point and maybe that gives him an Ochai like boost up a handful of spots

lol, because he's tall and has curly hair? micah is really good - i watched him last night and have seen a few others. but he's more kessler than markkanen. hell, kessler was more markkanen at auburn than handlogten. micah doesn't shoot at all or put it on the floor. he's your typical rebounding/shot blocking, rim running 5 who can't shoot at all. he is 1-8 from three this year and shoots 46% FTs.

excellent on the boards, excellent shot blocker, good motor, smart and plays for a team that can really pass it and he knows what to do when he catches it.

the real interesting prospect on marshall is taevion kinsey. not a prolific three point shooter, but an elite vertical athlete, high bball iq and box score stuffer. he's like evan turner at OSU if Turner could jump out of the gym.