What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I think Orlando is a strong candidate to trade their pick at #6. Black, Ausar, Walker and Hendricks aren't ideal for them at that spot. I guess of those options they'd probably take Hendricks, but it's understandable why they would be trying to trade up to #3 for Brandon Miller.

If Orlando moves to #3 using #6 and #11, Portland would still be looking for an established, high-level player. Hence, a trade would likely involve a third team. What Portland does at #3 has the potential to disrupt top 10 picks of the draft.

Food for thought...

2022-23 | : Denver Nuggets - Jokic MVP
2021-22 | : Golden State Warriors - Curry MVP
2020-21 | : Milwaukee Bucks - Giannis MVP
2019-20 | : Los Angeles Lakers - LeBron MVP
2018-19 | : Toronto Raptors - Kawhi Leonard Finals MVP
2017-18 | : Golden State Warriors - Curry and Durant MVP
2016-17 | : Golden State Warriors - Curry and Durant MVP
2015-16 | : Cleveland Cavaliers - LeBron MVP
2014-15 | : Golden State Warriors - Curry MVP
2013-14 | : San Antonio Spurs - Duncan MVP, Kawhi finals MVP
2012-13 | : Miami Heat - Lebron MVP and Wade Finals MVP
2011-12 | : Miami Heat - Lebron MVP and Wade Finals MVP
2010-11 | : Dallas Mavericks - Dirk MVP
2009-10 | : Los Angeles Lakers - Kobe MVP
2008-09 | : Los Angeles Lakers - Kobe MVP
2007-08 | : Boston Celtics - KG MVP
2006-07 | : San Antonio Spurs - Duncan MVP
2005-06 | : Miami Heat - Shaq MVP, Wade Finals MVP
2004-05 | : San Antonio Spurs - Duncan MVP
2003-04 | : Detroit Pistons - NO MVP!!!
2002-03 | : San Antonio - Duncan and Robinson MVP
2001-02 | : Los Angeles Lakers - Kobe and Shaq MVP
2000-01 | : Los Angeles Lakers - Kobe and Shaq MVP
1999-00 | : Los Angeles Lakers - Kobe and Shaq MVP
1998-99 | : San Antonio Spurs - Duncan and Robinson MVP
1997-98 | : Chicago Bulls - MJ MVP
1996-97 | : Chicago Bulls - MJ MVP
1995-96 | : Chicago Bulls - MJ MVP
1994-95 | : Houston Rockets - Hakeem MVP
1993-94 | : Houston Rockets - Hakeem MVP
1992-93 | : Chicago Bulls - MJ MVP
1991-92 | : Chicago Bulls - MJ MVP
1990-91 | : Chicago Bulls - MJ MVP
1989-90 | : Detroit Pistons - Joe Dumars and Isiah Thomas Finals MVP
--------------------------------------
.... can go further back but you get the big picture... ... unless you are Detroit you need a player who has already been a NBA MVP or Finals MVP in order to win an NBA championship... Until we get that type of player, we are going nowhere...

So the question here should be - past Wemby - is there a player we think can get to that level? If yes - can we get in position to draft him? Is the chance of him becoming that type of player higher than the chance that one of the picks we sacrifice for him , becomes that type of player? For example... lets say we decide Scoot is that type of player and we need to give up 9+16+LAL pick+2 unprotected picks ... Is Scoot more likely to be MVP or is one of those picks?

Last edited:
Food for thought...

.... can go further back but you get the big picture... ... unless you are Detroit you need an NBA MVP or Finals MVP in order to win an NBA championship... Until we get that type of player, we are going nowhere...

So the question here should be - past Wemby - is there a player we think can get to that level? If yes - can we get in position to draft him? Is the chance of him becoming that type of player higher than the chance that one of the picks we sacrifice for him to become that type of player. For example... lets say we decide Scoot is that type of player and we need to give up 9+16+LAL pick+2 unprotected picks ...
The two mvp years for Malone saw him in the finals vs the guy that could’ve been mvp and no one would’ve complained

JHS to Toronto at 13 is getting pretty popular among mock drafts.

Wonder if he is there top target, or if they would go Bilal if he gets to them.

Seems like JHS's floor might be the Lakers at 17, his ceiling might be just ahead of Toronto if a team wants to trade up to get him. I dont think he is going to be a choice for Utah at 9, just my gut feeling but I think they are valuing the longer/bigger forwards like Hendricks/Walker/Bilal more. I would like to say his floor would be Utah at 16 though, as I do think they would jump on him and the Keyonte/NSJ stuff is fake.

I have been watching a bunch of JHS film over the last few days and the more I watch of him the more I like his game. You watch his tape and he is constantly making the right pass and every once in a while he makes a pass that makes you say damn that was impressive. His shooting percentages weren't great but he has a good shooting stroke and his main issue is that he takes a lot of tough contested shots off the dribble. Defensively there is no doubt in my mind that he is going to be really solid and like you mentioned he is switchable for 1-3 and maybe even 4 because he has such a strong base. Bigger players are not going to be able to back him down easily.

26 is laughable
Not if you think he’s a one dimensional player who chucks **** up and is wildly inefficient with doing so in an all time loaded draft.
Thank god that was not my Elie Okobo year.
This was a win for me. I wanted Allen while a ton wanted Okobo. I was in many arguments, there was a lot of irrational arguments that he could be an allstar. Allen is a starter on a contender while Okobo… no idea what he’s doing if he’s even still in the league.

Food for thought...

.... can go further back but you get the big picture... ... unless you are Detroit you need a player who has already been a NBA MVP or Finals MVP in order to win an NBA championship... Until we get that type of player, we are going nowhere...

So the question here should be - past Wemby - is there a player we think can get to that level? If yes - can we get in position to draft him? Is the chance of him becoming that type of player higher than the chance that one of the picks we sacrifice for him , becomes that type of player? For example... lets say we decide Scoot is that type of player and we need to give up 9+16+LAL pick+2 unprotected picks ... Is Scoot more likely to be MVP or is one of those picks?
This is the case for tanking my friend. Doubt we can get to #2 with just picks. Where we are drafting we go for the best player possible and pray to get lucky.

So the question here should be - past Wemby - is there a player we think can get to that level? If yes - can we get in position to draft him? Is the chance of him becoming that type of player higher than the chance that one of the picks we sacrifice for him to become that type of player, becomes an MVP type of player? For example... lets say we decide Scoot is that type of player and we need to give up 9+16+LAL pick+2 unprotected picks ... Is Scoot more likely to be MVP or is one of those picks?

You get the idea: a team has to have a top-5 player in the league in order to win a chip. The most unstoppable offensive player normally wins. Moreover, it's extremely unlikely that another team is going to trade you that top-5 player, even if he's disgruntled. So you have to try to draft that player.

Last year, the only player whom I thought had the potential to become a top-5 guy was Paolo. This year, I'm not so sure. Other than Wembanyama, there are only a couple guys whom you could discuss having that potential, and the chance that they actually reach that potential is probably small.

Cam Whitmore has the physical tools to be an Anthony Edwards, Jaylen Brown, or possibly Jimmy Butler-caliber 2-way wing, but he needs to expand his game a lot, especially his ability to create and pass off the dribble.

This is a long shot, but the allure of GG Jackson is that in a few years he could be a 6'10" / 225-lb, athletic play-finisher, with 27-foot range and the ability to separate off the dribble. However, it's only going to work if he wants to work hard and become great. Right now, it's not clear if that's going to be the case.

Realistically, the best chance for the Jazz to get a top-5 player would be for Lauri Markkanen to expand his ability to create off the dribble and playmake a bit. He might not be that far off. If I were the Jazz, I'd start having him bring the ball up and handle a lot more.

Last edited:
This is the case for tanking my friend. Doubt we can get to #2 with just picks. Where we are drafting we go for the best player possible and pray to get lucky.
There are other ways to get those players which basically consist of luck but I just wanna ask the open question:

How warm and fuzzy are the warm and fuzzies from the regular season wins now? Gonna be telling stories about the Jazz beating the Celtics in March to your kids?

IMO our best chance for Scoot is if Portland doesn't love Scoot but wants to rebuild... then they might be incentivized to trade back and pick up some high value future assets in the process.. And we have some of the best high value unprotected picks out there.

The other trend with guys who dominate in the playoffs is that they're big. Other than Steph Curry, who is basically a circus-performer, recent chips have been won by teams with a dominant big -- Jokic, Giannis, Davis, Durant, etc.

In order to be unstoppable, it helps tremendously if you're 6'10" or bigger. Teams are looking for 6'10"+ guys who can score 40 pts. That's why Lauri might soon fit the bill.

Yep. Bilal is a bit bigger and markedly longer. I think there are shades of Exum and shades of a young Wiggins. Bilal plays above the rim more than Exum.
I don’t see Exum at all tbh. Couliably seems longer, more athletic and more confident than anything I ever saw in Exum. I hated Dante Exum as a prospect. Nice kid, but I couldn’t see the excitement at all. Wanted Aaron Gordon, but he got poached. Would’ve gone with Smart or Randle instead.

I also hated that Dante Exum entered the draft having never played at a high level anywhere. International man of mystery is a mistake 9/10 times. Jazz got burned in the top 5 twice because of it. At least Bilal has shown that he has the chops to play at a high level - even if it’s been limited thus far.

Exum could also never stay healthy - he probably would’ve been a fine (if ordinary) NBA player if he could’ve stayed healthy. It seemed like he hit the deck EVERY time he drove to the rim and his body just couldn’t hold up to the wear and tear. I just see a lot more body control out of Couliably, and maybe the ability to fill out his frame better once he gets into an NBA strength training program.

I get why a lot of people wouldn’t like him, but I’m intrigued and have him as my #10 prospect. Wouldn’t take him at #9, but I’d be open to taking him at #16 or trading up a bit to get him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHZkhvXj4t8

Ausar Thompson
Cason Wallace
Sidy Cissoko

I’m not really a big fan of the Thompson Twins or prioritizing guards. . . but I’d be happy with the potential of this draft as well. Not how I’m hoping things go, but I wouldn’t hate it either.

Still want the Jazz to aggressively go after the guys they want instead of sitting back and taking who falls to them. Guess it just depends of the cost of moving up and the willingness for other teams to move back.

Wonder if Cissoko would end up playing the point in this universe.
No. I love the kid, but he’s a 2/3. I do like his ability to pass the ball, but he’s not a lead guard. He’s a guy that you draft to push Ochai for minutes and role. I see him as a potentially better version of Royce O’Neale. That’s more or less what I’d be hoping to get out of him.