What's new

2023 Trade Rumors and Gossip Involving the Jazz

Maybe I’m off my rocker, but I thought Ochai looked great (for a rookie) the 2nd half of the year when he got consistent playing time. I don’t recall ever really thinking, “wtf is he doing” with him. Seems like the player who resulted in the most wtf moments for me was Olynyk. But yeah, I for one, thought Ochai looked like a serviceable starter (which is huge for a rookie) the last few months of the season.
I agree If he can come off bench and give 15 minutes of respectable play each game that would be good
If he can do better that would be great

Maybe I’m off my rocker, but I thought Ochai looked great (for a rookie) the 2nd half of the year when he got consistent playing time. I don’t recall ever really thinking, “wtf is he doing” with him. Seems like the player who resulted in the most wtf moments for me was Olynyk. But yeah, I for one, thought Ochai looked like a serviceable starter (which is huge for a rookie) the last few months of the season.

Absolutely, Ochai was great the second half of the year.

He has a bunch of haters on here for some reason. I love him and think he will very good this year.

He’s a surefire starter and a building block… completely untouchable… how dare you.

I'm not even arguing any of that right now. I just said he looked bad at the start of the season and wasn't ready to play right away. There is video evidence that was the case, yet people constitently have a problem with it. It's just really weird.

I'm not even arguing any of that right now. I just said he looked bad at the start of the season and wasn't ready to play right away. There is video evidence that was the case, yet people constitently have a problem with it. It's just really weird.
Sarcasm my friend.

Among the things Tony Jones mentioned on radio interview today:
  • His own (personal) preference for Jazz at PG is Austin Reaves; would offer max. But thinks Lakers are going to match anything offered.
  • Strongly thinks Jazz top priority is more playmaking at this point
  • Again emphasized positional length for all positions (though threw out a few name for PG possibilities without much length)
  • Said Jazz had removed Cam Whitmore from draft board (I'm personally interpreting this as the Jazz felt Whitmore, GG would be better as "second draft" options than being the team to draft them initially)
  • Confirmed that Jarace Walker was higher on Jazz's board than Hendricks; that George was higher than Jordan Hawkins

What I would really be interested in knowing is if George was higher on their board than Wallce and Bufkin.

I would assume yes, because George was 10 on their board. If either of those 2 were higher than 9, the Jazz would have drafted them over Hendricks.

I know that's what Zanik said to the media, and maybe it's the truth. I just find it hard to believe that they truly preferred George over both of those other guys, especially Cason.

Last edited:
You can watch all the games on league pass. You might be able to find some full game replays on YouTube.

He mostly played in garbage time, where I'm very lenient in my analysis. It wasn't like he was just missing shots though, he looked like he didn't know where he was supposed to be on the court. It was even more obvious as a 3&D guy.

He had a few games where he got actual rotation minutes and he looked just as bad and lost as he did in garbage time.

I didn't watch him in the GLeague, but from what I understand he didn't do anything there to show he was an NBA player at first. Only Hardy saw him in practice, where he decided he wasn't ready.

What evidence is there that he was ready to play. How can people possibly say they saw something that Hardy didn't? It's just an annoying argument.
What evidence was there they he was ready to play when he did start getting regular minutes doe?

I know that's what Zanik said to the media, and maybe it's the truth. I just find it hard to believe that they truly preferred George over both of those other guys, especially Cason.
If you are looking for a dynamic lead guard that can create, George is the better choice and probably has a higher upside. Cason definitely is more ready and has a higher floor though. Jazz has more of a need for George than OKC who already has their dynamic lead guard.

The fact that Zanic would say they had Hendricks rated 9th seems to suggest he is being honest.

I know it’s a meme to **** on him and I definitely add to that….but on a serious note, what was so impressive about Ochai? I think he will develop enough to turn into a solid role player, maybe as soon as this upcoming season, but what he did wasn’t the most impressive season ever.

The entire first half of the season he was buried in the bench and he only got consistent time once 3-4 players were traded/injured. During that time he started out as extreme low usage high efficiency guy….which isn’t bad…but that efficiency dropped drastically any time he tried to expand his game. His defense was up and down, but the complete lack of any defensive playmaking and rebounding puts him behind the curve.

It was fine, he was a rookie, still have no idea why he’s penciled in as a starter. I’m not saying he can’t become that guy but people are acting like already was that guy.

I know it’s a meme to **** on him and I definitely add to that….but on a serious note, what was so impressive about Ochai? I think he will develop enough to turn into a solid role player, maybe as soon as this upcoming season, but what he did wasn’t the most impressive season ever.

The entire first half of the season he was buried in the bench and he only got consistent time once 3-4 players were traded/injured. During that time he started out as extreme low usage high efficiency guy….which isn’t bad…but that efficiency dropped drastically any time he tried to expand his game. His defense was up and down, but the complete lack of any defensive playmaking and rebounding puts him behind the curve.

It was fine, he was a rookie, still have no idea why he’s penciled in as a starter. I’m not saying he can’t become that guy but people are acting like already was that guy.
I think he’s an easy rotational guy, who will get better over the next few years. If you can find a better starter, great. . . but otherwise I feel like we could (and have done) a lot worse than him. He’s certainly not untouchable for me, but I’m not in a hurry to be rid of him. I think guys like Ochai, Sexton, KO and Lauri give you some many rotation options because of their positional versatility.

Good post. The things that are impressive about him are his body (dude is ripped), athleticism (I think he had one of the highest verticals in his draft at the combine thing), and he is extremely quick with his decision making. When he gets the ball he moves it or does something with it very very fast

But mostly he was very mid. He was a rookie after all. His body, athleticism, and quick thinking are enough to build up on that give me hope they he can be very very good after he gets more minutes and opportunities. He needs those minutes and opportunities though like most young guys. I hope he gets them and it sounds like he will.

A lot of those pundits I’ve heard are pretty high on George. He does have that dog in him.
If the Jazz valued shooting in the draft it’s hard to argue with the guys they picked and where the Jazz picked them. That’s not a knock on the guys you mentioned either.