What's new

3D picks Mitchell #5 ROY candidate

Release the Kraken

Watching NBA TV and Dennis Scott named his top six ROY candidates.

1) Lonzo Ball

2) Jayson Tatum

3) John Collins

4) Josh Jackson

5) Donovan Mitchell

6) Dennis Smith Jr

No mention of Fultz or Fox though he did say when questioned by Kristen Ledlow that he thought that Fultz and Simmons (also eligible) will be fine but are mainly facilitators not the type to normally get recognized as ROY. John Collins is a bigger surprise than Mitchell getting taken at #19 by Atlanta.

I would put Simon's #1. He is going to get plenty of playing time and the ball in his hand. Those are two of the bigger factors to Roy.

I would put Simon's #1. He is going to get plenty of playing time and the ball in his hand. Those are two of the bigger factors to Roy.

True but by those standards and the fan-base already apparent at Las Vegas Summer League wouldn't Ball still be the top candidate. (All the Simmons hype has evaporated since the injury.)

True but by those standards and the fan-base already apparent at Las Vegas Summer League wouldn't Ball still be the top candidate. (All the Simmons hype has evaporated since the injury.)

I dont think hype going into it matters that much. Either player will generate hype if they put up stats. I think 76ers will let Simmons play a lot and control the ball a lot. I think Ball might be #2 on my list but Lakers are going to try and win this season and have talent that will take the ball out of Ball's hand and he wont get as many stats.

Josh Jackson is my #3 because they are still tanking down in Phoenix and will let him play 30 minutes a game.

I dont think hype going into it matters that much. Either player will generate hype if they put up stats. I think 76ers will let Simmons play a lot and control the ball a lot. I think Ball might be #2 on my list but Lakers are going to try and win this season and have talent that will take the ball out of Ball's hand and he wont get as many stats.

Josh Jackson is my #3 because they are still tanking down in Phoenix and will let him play 30 minutes a game.

Well reasoned argument.

How many minutes will he get coming off the bench? Will he beat out Nance for the backup 4 minutes or be the third string 4?

Being a man of the cloth, St. Cy is compelled to retire early I imagine. I believe, based on his performance at S.L. that Kuzma will beat out Nance.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them play him at the 3 if they have to. They don't really have a good backup 3.

I dont know enough about Kuzma to say he will be good enough to win ROY but I doubt he gets enough minutes and more important possessions to be in the conversation.

I doubt Ball takes it because he'll struggle to score efficiently due to his low release on the shot. He'll get a ton of minutes, and probably put up big stats, but I'm betting Simmons has a better season.

Watching NBA TV and Dennis Scott named his top six ROY candidates.

1) Lonzo Ball

2) Jayson Tatum

3) John Collins

4) Josh Jackson

5) Donovan Mitchell

6) Dennis Smith Jr

No mention of Fultz or Fox though he did say when questioned by Kristen Ledlow that he thought that Fultz and Simmons (also eligible) will be fine but are mainly facilitators not the type to normally get recognized as ROY. John Collins is a bigger surprise than Mitchell getting taken at #19 by Atlanta.

If I was Simmons I would take it personally the love being shown Ball. Some experts are now saying Simmons' passing game is only drooled over cause he is a big. I call BS on that. He has been the best passer on the court his whole life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQAwDojUXOs

Just in case you don't have google.com

It'll only take a game for the hype train on Simmons to be back up to speed. Dude is phenomenal.

If healthy Simmons will be on the race for ROY based on minutes, touches and his ability to rack up assists and rebounds, no doubt. I'd say he's about top-5 right now, but we'll have a more informed opinion during the preseason, once we see the type of offense the Sixers try to run.

Overall I'm not as big of a fan of him as others. The talent is there but I don't like his approach to the game and I think he's going to struggle with the physicality and pace of the NBA the first couple of years. The turnovers, the lack of defense and shooting and his fear of looking at the basket consistently (specially from beyond 15ft) won't help either. Maybe something's changed over the course of the year from what we saw at LSU, but he'll have to prove it in front of much tougher competition, and it may not be that easy with two bigger talents like Embiid and Fultz around.

If healthy Simmons will be on the race for ROY based on minutes, touches and his ability to rack up assists and rebounds, no doubt. I'd say he's about top-5 right now, but we'll have a more informed opinion during the preseason, once we see the type of offense the Sixers try to run.

Overall I'm not as big of a fan of him as others. The talent is there but I don't like his approach to the game and I think he's going to struggle with the physicality and pace of the NBA the first couple of years. The turnovers, the lack of defense and shooting and his fear of looking at the basket consistently (specially from beyond 15ft) won't help either. Maybe something's changed over the course of the year from what we saw at LSU, but he'll have to prove it in front of much tougher competition, and it may not be that easy with two bigger talents like Embiid and Fultz around.

This post is so absurdly bad.