What's new

3D picks Mitchell #5 ROY candidate

Watching NBA TV and Dennis Scott named his top six ROY candidates.

1) Lonzo Ball

2) Jayson Tatum

3) John Collins

4) Josh Jackson

5) Donovan Mitchell

6) Dennis Smith Jr

No mention of Fultz or Fox though he did say when questioned by Kristen Ledlow that he thought that Fultz and Simmons (also eligible) will be fine but are mainly facilitators not the type to normally get recognized as ROY. John Collins is a bigger surprise than Mitchell getting taken at #19 by Atlanta.

Rofl at Mitchell above DSJr., Simmons and Fultz.

I'm going to make an argument for Mitchell. First, I don't think he will win ROY. If he's as good on the defensive end as he was in summer league, he will get minutes. Bryon Russell got minutes Soley because he played good defense. He got 16 min a game his rookie year, on a team full of vets on a contending team, or at least a team expected to make the playoffs every year. IMO Mitchell is a better defender and offensive player. We all know how Quinn values defense, and if Mitchell got hot early I could see him getting 25 min a game or even becoming a starter by mid season. I don't see this happening, but I could see it happening

I'm going to make an argument for Mitchell. First, I don't think he will win ROY. If he's as good on the defensive end as he was in summer league, he will get minutes. Bryon Russell got minutes Soley because he played good defense. He got 16 min a game his rookie year, on a team full of vets on a contending team, or at least a team expected to make the playoffs every year. IMO Mitchell is a better defender and offensive player. We all know how Quinn values defense, and if Mitchell got hot early I could see him getting 25 min a game or even becoming a starter by mid season. I don't see this happening, but I could see it happening

Lol wut?

90% of all the foreign posters on this board are more eloquent than you. Awful!!! Idiot!!!

and his fear of looking at the basket consistently (specially from beyond 15ft) won't help either.

I noticed that in the highlight videos I have seen. Definitely a red flag.

I noticed that in the highlight videos I have seen. Definitely a red flag.

He's always been too reluctant, too self-conscious of his lack of a reliable jumper. And the fun thing is he shoots (and usually misses) with his left hand, whereas he's almost strictly a right hand finisher around the rim (that too may hurt him a bit at first, as he'll be more prone to misses and blocks with the pressure of an NBA defense than he was at college).

He's definitely gifted, but not without some question marks.

i was shocked not to see Kyle Kuzma on the list. Randle will be traded by the trade deadline. Kuzma will be starting will hear chants of MVP by april. Labron James will sign with the Lakers just to get a chance to play with Kuzma.

I doubt Ball takes it because he'll struggle to score efficiently due to his low release on the shot. He'll get a ton of minutes, and probably put up big stats, but I'm betting Simmons has a better season.

How is Simmons going to score efficiently when he can't even shoot?

Watching NBA TV and Dennis Scott named his top six ROY candidates.

1) Lonzo Ball

2) Jayson Tatum

3) John Collins

4) Josh Jackson

5) Donovan Mitchell

6) Dennis Smith Jr

No mention of Fultz or Fox though he did say when questioned by Kristen Ledlow that he thought that Fultz and Simmons (also eligible) will be fine but are mainly facilitators not the type to normally get recognized as ROY. John Collins is a bigger surprise than Mitchell getting taken at #19 by Atlanta.

So he only missed the correct answer by four spots...

I'll buy some of the Ball hype. The fact that he's in the LA tv market means every little good thing he does is going to be glorified like he's the next transcendent player.

1. Ball
2. Simmons
3. Jackson
4. Smith Jr.
5. Fultz
6. Mitchell
7. Collins
8. Tatum

Ball and Simmons have both impressed me with their vision and passing in summer league, but we'll have to see how that translates over to the real deal.

I think Mitchell will get more playing time than I initially thought he would. I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting around 25 MPG by the end of the season assuming he doesn't hit the rookie wall hard.