What's new

"Alternative Facts": Trump's War on the Media

Democrats in disarray? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Here, let me educate you:

First, Donald Trump has been a godsend for democrats. By Clinton losing and Donald trump winning it forces the democrats to seek out new and more progressive blood. Had Clinton won, it would have sustained the pragmatic GOP lite that the Clinton's ascribe to. Clearly, the democratic base wants a younger more progressive host of leaders.

Second, Donald Trump is cancer for the GOP. Every week the *** hole embarrasses himself and this county. He already has a disapproval rating in 4 weeks that took Bush nearly 6 years to earn. Every week that goes by without his major party leaders calling him out erodes the public's confidence in the GOP. Personally, I hope Donald makes it to November of 2018 so repubs can take it on the chin! The worst thing IMO would be to impeach him too quickly and allow Pence to steady this ship. Trump isn't accomplishing anything. Seriously, look at the facts. Aside from his temporary executive orders, he hasn't passed any legislation nor has he even filled his cabinet. All he's doing is dividing the Republican Party and eroding the public's confidence in his party.

Lastly, the 1964 election was a disaster for the GOP. Yet it's effects are still being felt. If United several groups incapable of being United prior. Likewise, Donald's Election and obscene behavior is turning off millions of moderates and conservatives. Those who previously wouldn't have given a progressive a chance are now giving ear to their message. My in-laws are perfect examples of this. Born and raised in Utah, they've always been staunch defenders of the GOP. Not anymore. They see the craziness of republican fake news, the behavior of trump, and the indifference shown by Ryan and McConnell, and are quickly finding themselves liking the DNC and the moderate progressive message more and more. The DNC doesn't necessarily need to panic. Just be a organized party and maintain the messages preserving social security and Medicaid, fair taxes, and equality and the GOP will hang itself. Hell, just look at the demographics. America isn't becoming less diverse, but more diverse. Trump never appealed to young people, and his presidency isn't doing anything for them. Demographics is a science that the GOP seems completely oblivious to.

Trump is the DNC's best weapon.

Get Educated

lol :D. yeah trump is dnc best weapn. after 1 year of living in a delusional bubble you still live in it!

^^ If shouting loudly to silence opposing opinions is a sign of progressivism, then I'm sure Trump's presidency energized the progressives. The rest is the same old story about youths and demographics that said Trump will lose and the GOP will never win again. And look where we are now.

But please, do carry on educating the masses.

exactly they fail to snap out of this mass delusion and are doubling down on fascism while claming to be anti fascist.
and keep being bigoted with their identity politics.

double down on this stupidity!

Folks, tonight he said "the media are the enemy of the American people". You guys have any idea how dangerous a thing that is to say? He calls the Russian story a ruse and fake news, but the ruse is him calling the mainstream media the enemy of the American people. And purveyors of fake news. That, friends, is the ruse. And he's turning alternative facts into alternative reality:

"News' primary function is to not be fake; it's to pass along factual information that serves the public good, and the people who create it intend it to be factual and to serve the public good. By Lakoff's logic, putting most modifiers in front of the word news — good, bad, unbiased, biased, liberal, conservative — still implies that the news is still somehow news. It is in some way tied to that main purpose, of being tethered to reality, with the intention of informing the public.

When Trump calls news fake, then, that word implies that the news isn't serving its basic purposes: It means that the story is intended to serve something other than the public good, and that the author intended to falsify the story.

In other words, calling something fake news implies that it isn't news at all. And using that phrase in the way that Trump uses it, said Lakoff, is dangerous:

"It is done to serve interests at odds with the public good. It also undermines the credibility of real news sources, that is, the press. Therefore it makes it harder for the press to serve the public good by revealing truths. And it threatens democracy, which requires that the press function to reveal real truths."

It may seem like a lot of fuss over one little phrase, but to Lakoff, it's an important fuss.

"Calling real news fake is an attempt to hide the truth and undermine the function of the truth in a democracy," he said.........

........But with fake news there are serious potential problems ... problems that go even beyond disputes over what is fact and what is fiction. The shifting definition of fake news may be a sign of a broader gap between right and left. In July, author George Saunders painted a picture of that gap:

"Intellectually and emotionally weakened by years of steadily degraded public discourse, we are now two separate ideological countries, LeftLand and RightLand, speaking different languages, the lines between us down. Not only do our two subcountries reason differently; they draw upon non-intersecting data sets and access entirely different mythological systems."

If it is indeed true that the term fake news has come to mean something different for a conservative than a liberal, it could be one more sign that the LeftLandian and RightLandian languages — and the people who speak them — have moved one more inch apart, into increasingly different realities."

https://www.npr.org/2017/02/17/5156...rom-alternative-facts-to-alternative-language

We are entering very dangerous waters here. Make no mistake. Pay attention to what is going on with this changing language.

What's trump's approval rating again?

Thanks for the laugh!

Get Educated
i dont know and i dont care, how where his polls before the election again?
his favorable and unfaverobale.

seriously step outside your bubble.

and look at it from the other side once in a while.

glen bekc the biggest most anti trump right wing guy. is now pro trump! and yers i know he is 1 man a celebrtiy. but you can go and google his apology to trump.

but just like hime nevertrump came around and would now vote for trump. you just seem to live in a anti trump bubble.

joy villa who whore a trump dress became number 1 and number 2 seller on amazon and itunes.

i dont know and i dont care, how where his polls before the election again?
his favorable and unfaverobale.

seriously step outside your bubble.

and look at it from the other side once in a while.

glen bekc the biggest most anti trump right wing guy. is now pro trump! and yers i know he is 1 man a celebrtiy. but you can go and google his apology to trump.

but just like hime nevertrump came around and would now vote for trump. you just seem to live in a anti trump bubble.

joy villa who whore a trump dress became number 1 and number 2 seller on amazon and itunes.

Of course you don't know or care because you're an idiot.

Get Educated

lol, you are so delusional. trump won bro. after people like you been naysaying for MONTHS

Donald J. Trump ✔@realDonaldTrump
The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!
4:48 PM - 17 Feb 2017

And there is the Big Lie. Used by authoritarians in times of need. The Big Lie. I wonder what he is hiding? I think I know. I suspect many of us know what he is hiding. Your boy won. But, you know what? Tick tock, tick tock, the sand is running out and I do believe your boy is toast. He's kicking off the 2020 campaign today, but....your boy is toast....

CNN, one of several mainstream media outlets singled out by Trump as purveyors of "fake news"(and the article above on "alternative facts become alternative language" is a must read)is, of course, (if ones worldview is rooted in reality), actually telling the truth. But, to rally his most ardent supporters, those willing to simply believe "The Big Lie", Trump is willing to actually refer to the press as the "enemy of the American people". As dangerous a statement as he has made to date. I imagine members of the press may need to be extra cautious should members of Trump's base decide to go after "America's enemies".

"The advantages of having an enemy are well-known. In Orwell's dystopian novel "1984" -- suddenly a new best-seller in the Trump era -- the masses engage in a daily mandatory ritual, the "Two Minutes of Hate," during which their anger is feverishly stoked against the foe of the moment. Dictators, strongmen and autocrats have practiced the art of drumming up loathing toward others to great effect.

Trump is no dictator, but he does have strong authoritarian tendencies and, like other demagogues, he knows that perceived enemies can help him fire up the base, rally the crowds and shift responsibility. Don't look at me, this script cries out; look over there, there is a threat, a danger, a foe.

When it comes to enemies, a demonized media is even more useful than the average antagonist.

Trump's real nemesis is the truth. By attacking the media, he opens up a new line of attack against facts, his true target. He is, after all, the Gaslighter in Chief. He is trying to confuse the public so that they will not believe inconvenient truths."

https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/17/opinions/trump-wants-you-to-hate-media-ghitis/

And there you have it. Trump's real enemy is truth.

How long have I been saying we have an epistemological problem? Trump is the effect, not the cause. But, yes, a much bigger effect than I was expecting.

There are a ton of things I'd rather have him focus on instead of a campaign 4 years in advance. His record will be his biggest campaign strength or weakness.

Immigration
Jobs
Military
Russia
Education
Trade deals
Energy...

He is focusing on those if yer not a fake news believing dope. MSM is Punch Drunk on Turnip hate.

The most disturbing think to me is that alternative, right wing biased media was the exact same creation of the Obama hysteria. Looking back, an if you can grant me a little hindsight, what they did to Obama was insane. BIRTH CERTIFICATE! FED JUDGE APPOINTMENT! MICHELLE MICHELLE MICHELLE!
Kenya! Insane divisive hate right?

This disturbs me. I am with an bound by blood to [MENTION=40]Siro[/MENTION] in that we tire of the one-sided attacks. What purpose does it server?

What purpose do you serve?

The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!

And there is the Big Lie. Used by authoritarians in times of need. The Big Lie. I wonder what he is hiding? I think I know. I suspect many of us know what he is hiding. Your boy won. But, you know what? Tick tock, tick tock, the sand is running out and I do believe your boy is toast. He's kicking off the 2020 campaign today, but....your boy is toast....

LOL

how is that a lie, the country is split. to one half the lame stream media IS THE ENEMY!

how is that a lie, the country is split. to one half the lame stream media IS THE ENEMY!

It's a lie because the mainstream media is telling the truth. And, by undermining the watchdog of the body politic, Trump undermines democracy itself. You're wrong, in other words. There is a right and wrong here, in other words. But, I can be kinder and will simply say enjoy "your" President while you are able to do so. I would read the article I posted above in comment #124. It's likely the two sides you speak of are permanently cut off from each other, living now in entirely separate realities. That said, it does not erase the fact that "your" President is a pathological liar. There is a right and wrong to all of this, and the ruse he speaks of by calling the mainstream media "fake news" is misplaced. The narrative he himself is spinning is the ruse, and it's as plain as the nose on my face.

As well, bear in mind, if you watched Trump's press conference, he stated that the leaks were very real, very true in other words, but the news about the leaks was fake news. Yet, the mainstream media simply reported on what the leaks said. There is a certain illogic to his thinking that can really induce a headache at times. As well, when he was corrected on the fact that he was incorrect in claiming the largest number of electoral votes since Reagan, even after he qualified it by saying "I was talking Republican candidates", his response was "well, I've seen that information out there". Gee, as one of the comics said, where did he see that info, tacked to a bulletin board next to a "lost cat" notice? Even Shepard, on Fox News, said of Trump's press conference statements, "This is ridiculous!!" And that's Fox News, for heavens sake. For heaven sakes, we are not all as stupid as he apparently thinks we are....

[MENTION=3085]Red[/MENTION],

Dutchjazzer is a troll. You definitely don't have time to give to one of those.

It's a lie because the mainstream media is telling the truth. And, by undermining the watchdog of the body politic, Trump undermines democracy itself. You're wrong, in other words. There is a right and wrong here, in other words. But, I can be kinder and will simply say enjoy "your" President while you are able to do so. I would read the article I posted above in comment #124. It's likely the two sides you speak of are permanently cut off from each other, living now in entirely separate realities. That said, it does not erase the fact that "your" President is a pathological liar. There is a right and wrong to all of this, and the ruse he speaks of by calling the mainstream media "fake news" is misplaced. The narrative he himself is spinning is the ruse, and it's as plain as the nose on my face.

well its a lie they are lying to us and vilifying us.

thats usually what enemies do!

It's a lie because the mainstream media is telling the truth.

like how they tell the truth about pewdie, how they vilified him.
in case you do not know who pewdiepie is, he is the most richest and most famous youtube star.
he has 50 million subscribers, he came out pro trump a while back, now the main stream media could not have that COULD THEY!
so they took out a HIT PIECE on him, because he is one of generation z biggest "influencers", now they claim he is a RACIST! he is A NAZI!!!!!!!!!! ooh the horror.

so yeah he lost his disney contract, he lost about 2 million subscribers.
still well above 50 million subscribers, but the remaining subscribers, felt hatred turned toward their icon.

mind you this is gen Z people. those poeple never watch a day of old fashioned news and tv in their live.

by villifying that generations most popular person who is not a movie star, they giftwrapped about 50 million people to the right wing cause. who in 2 3 4 5 6 7 years will be old enough to vote.

i would love to post some videos on the subject, but i cannot guarantee they dont have bad words in em. but sargon of arkad has a pretty comprehensive video on it called #PewDiePieDidNothingWrong.
just take a look at it!

pewdiepie has about 100-300 million video-views a month video views .
he is more watch than most tv programming.

yet the lame stream media(in this case started by WSJ) lied and vilified pewdiepie.

but ofcourse this might sound like trolling and NONSENSE because you live in your bubble.

Last edited: