What's new

Game Thread Apr 16, 2022 11:00AM MT: Jazz at Mavericks - Game 1

Added to Calendar: 04-16-22

How many missed layups and in-and-out shots did we have today? 10? Damn.

Pretty bad that we are barely eeking out a win when their best 2 players are out.
Who is the second best player that was also out?

Seriously pisses me off every game. Especially donovan. Watching today in the first quarter I saw Don miss rudy numerous times. then like the very first play that whiteside is in the game donovan goes to him (and he misses). Grrrr.
I pointed this out to my wife when it happened. It's almost too obvious, like Don is almost rubbing it in. Maybe he just has a better feel with Hassan, who knows?

Donovan played 42 minutes today. That isn’t sustainable.
Eh, I think in the playoffs its ok. Especially cause every game wont be that close. Gotta put it all out there for the playoffs. Play 48 if need be. He is like 24 or 25 years old ffs.

Seriously pisses me off every game. Especially donovan. Watching today in the first quarter I saw Don miss rudy numerous times. then like the very first play that whiteside is in the game donovan goes to him (and he misses). Grrrr.
JVG was harping that the league should not be rewarding fast break fouls and make them clear path. If that is the case, they should give Rudy the same treatment on lobs and rebounds where he gets hacked to avoid easy putbacks.

He made it sound like teams shouldn't make strategic fouls. No wonder he isn't coaching anymore despite wanting to.

Now please come out with some urgency for game 2… don’t be the team that is like “we got the split… we good” have a little killer instinct for once.
Guarantee they they want game 2 very very badly.

When the Mavs put Kleber or Green on the floor, Gobert sags way off on defense. When the Mavs put Bertans on the floor, the Jazz drive at him relentlessly on offense. That's how the Jazz are dealing with the Mavs spacing the floor.
Good post

Tim Hardaway jr
Eh im looking at a statistical comp between hardaway jr and dinwiddie and it doesn't favor hardaway.
Hardway ppg: 14.2 on 39% from the field and 34% from 3.
Dinwiddie: 15.8 on 50% from the field and 40% from 3
3.7 rebounds per game for hardaway
3.1 for dinwiddie
2.2 assists per game for hardaway
3.9 assists per game for dinwiddie
Dinwiddie gets to the line twice as often.

Looks to me like dinwiddie is better. In fact hardaway jr seems to kind of suck. Really this mavs team isn't very good without luka.

And well deserved. Man that 4th quarter was stressful. Don was going hero donovan mode and missing and missing. Thankfully conley got a few shots (and makes) somehow and donovan actually made the pass to Royce. Couldn't believe he passed that. Hopefully he learned something today (trust your teammates)
Btw, Rudy only having 1 field goal attempt against these scrubs is a travesty
I liked how during the 4th they panned to a single jazz fan in a sea of mavs fans and he looked nervous as hell

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/prodigyJF/status/1515413746977411074

Anyone else find it interesting that gay got a DNP and Juancho played ahead of him?

Juacho had overtaken Rudy Gay by the end of the season. I'm surprised that Quin didn't do the same with Paschall earlier, but Quin just doesn't seem to believe in Paschall as a player. Rudy Gay had a few good games to start his season, but since then he's not been an NBA level rotation player. I'm glad we have Juancho and Quin is willing to play him instead.

Juacho had overtaken Rudy Gay by the end of the season. I'm surprised that Quin didn't do the same with Paschall earlier, but Quin just doesn't seem to believe in Paschall as a player. Rudy Gay had a few good games to start his season, but since then he's not been an NBA level rotation player. I'm glad we have Juancho and Quin is willing to play him instead.
Im glad too but Im still shocked. the narrative all season was that we got Rudy Gay for one reason and one reason only. Playoffs.

Definitely a good chance. Today was the mavs best shot to get a win in these first two games (we shot pretty horrible, they only turned it over 7 times, they got the whistles. All three things aren't going to happen in game 2) so we will likely go to slc up 2-0. The jazz have won 11 in a row against the mavs in slc including 2-0 this season. Sweep is still a pretty good possibility.
It's kind of funny how not having home court worked in our favor, not having Luka likely means a 2-0 lead and heading back to SLC. I think the Mavs defense is going to get ripped up against our offense, we just have to continue to close games.

We started off the game without a lot of urgency. It was surprising since it was the playoffs, but maybe the early start time just threw us off.

Closing the game like we did was huge, although defensively we are still banking on them missing wide open 3s. Offensively we looked so much better. Moving the ball, not so Mitchell dominant, generally making the right play. Encouraging.

Last edited: