What's new

Game Thread Apr 25, 2022 7:30PM MT: Jazz at Mavericks - Game 5

Added to Calendar: 04-25-22

Going to movies by yourself is honestly a great experience. You gotta go during the matinee obviously. But it’s just nice. You can go see whatever you want. Don’t gotta worry if your date is liking the movie. Don’t got to talk about it after. Can hide in a dark room from the shame of being a jazz fan. Recommend it.
In my 20s it was embarrassing to go to the movies by myself.

In my 40s it's ****ing great

Just a pathetic effort! I can take a loss but when you show no heart at all. 10 percent 3pt shooting is embarrassing. Rudy and JC were the only guys who played well. Bogey, DM and Conley were just awful. Jazz are done if they don't start making shots. DM has been really bad this playoff series. Just awful. So has Conley.

This was the weirdest game... I stopped watching after a bit in the 3rd, but I thought the 1st half really wasn't all that bad, except all the open looks missed. If we just hit something close to a regular clip, this is a lead or at least a very close game at the half, instead we're down ~20. 3rd quarter (first half of it, then I don't know) was just plain bad.

Kind of hope Smith, Wade and Ainge clean out and restructure the front office too, not just the coaching staff (but also the coaching staff please). They put the wrong players around Mitchell and Gobert, handed out terrible deals year after year that have hamstrung us, built a gimmicky roster that was destined to get ripped apart in the post season. This team they built will be remembered as the biggest choke-artists in our franchise history—and our franchise has one of the greatest choke legends, Karl Malone—this team will be remembered as the MELTDOWN JAZZ. Outside of Mitchell’s rookie year, they will not be remembered fondly.

I agreed with the Conley trade back when it happened, and of course we had no choice but to re-sign him this off-season, but it was clearly a big mistake. We raised our floor but put a hard cap on what we were going to be able to do in the post season. That third big contract was our only chance, we had to pay the right guy to put around Mitchell and Gobert. The right guy wasn’t an an over-the-hill, unathletic and overpaid point guard who is too nice to push guys to play better. We needed an athletic swing forward with that contract. Needed some size and athleticism next to Mitchell. All of our trade chips and cap space went to Conley who really is a disaster fit for this team you can’t win with a bunch of undersized, aging guards who can’t hit shots in big games. Especially playing Gobert, who is a great but very limited and difficult to maximize player—we couldn’t afford to pick the wrong third star. That was our chance and they messed it bad.

They went for it. I was happy when they did it. And if I was in the front office, I’d expect them to fire me too. Because now the jazz have really no flexibility or path to fix this without arming the C4 and blowing it all to ****.

Welcome back to the lottery, friends. The dog days are back. It was fun while it lasted. Well, it was fun until this season. But after this, I’ll happily trade this season for three rebuilding ones. They’ll hurt a lot less and at least give us a chance at getting a good piece.

Kind of hope Smith, Wade and Ainge clean out and restructure the front office too, not just the coaching staff (but also the coaching staff please). They put the wrong players around Mitchell and Gobert, handed out terrible deals year after year that have hamstrung us, built a gimmicky roster that was destined to get ripped apart in the post season. This team they built will be remembered as the biggest choke-artists in our franchise history—and our franchise has one of the greatest choke legends, Karl Malone—this team will be remembered as the MELTDOWN JAZZ. Outside of Mitchell’s rookie year, they will not be remembered fondly.

I agreed with the Conley trade back when it happened, and of course we had no choice but to re-sign him this off-season, but it was clearly a big mistake. We raised our floor but put a hard cap on what we were going to be able to do in the post season. That third big contract was our only chance, we had to pay the right guy to put around Mitchell and Gobert. The right guy wasn’t an an over-the-hill, unathletic and overpaid point guard who is too nice to push guys to play better. We needed an athletic swing forward with that contract. Needed some size and athleticism next to Mitchell. All of our trade chips and cap space went to Conley who really is a disaster fit for this team you can’t win with a bunch of undersized, aging guards who can’t hit shots in big games. Especially playing Gobert, who is a great but very limited and difficult to maximize player—we couldn’t afford to pick the wrong third star. That was our chance and they messed it bad.

They went for it. I was happy when they did it. And if I was in the front office, I’d expect them to fire me too. Because now the jazz have really no flexibility or path to fix this without arming the C4 and blowing it all to ****.

Welcome back to the lottery, friends. The dog days are back. It was fun while it lasted. Well, it was fun until this season. But after this, I’ll happily trade this season for three rebuilding ones. They’ll hurt a lot less and at least give us a chance at getting a good piece.
Good post

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I guess I probably won't watch the replay for this one. I thought we had too many offensive weapons to have such a bad shooting night. Personally I'd rather go back to having a nasty defense with an offense that moves the ball, even if it ends up in the hands of players who aren't quite as good of shooters.

I expect dm and bogey to bounce back in game 6. I also expect Clarkson to continue being our most efficient playoff scorer in the team. we need to unleash this guy and let him go nuclear. I don't expect conley to play better. he's just camping and we should give his minutes to others. he's been a huge disappointment. same with royce. our chances depends on 3 offensive players and Rudy. were going home there's still a game left

What's going on with Conley? He was our most consistent player for the first half of the year. He was having carreer highs in efficiency up until about February.

Pre All Star Break: 114 ORTG 104 DRTG
Post All Stae Break: 108 ORTG 107 DRTG

Did he physically hit some wall? Maybe carrying the load in January wore him out? I really think it looks mental to me. He has seemed checked out. He looks tentative, not wanting to take shots.

Per Locke he is the best off the bounce 3pt shooter in the league. This series could use a great off the bounce 3pt shooter.

Can he get back to himself over the offseason? What is his trade value right now?

How many Parts did we attempt in that game and what percentage did we execute? How does that compare to last year?

What's going on with Conley? He was our most consistent player for the first half of the year. He was having carreer highs in efficiency up until about February.

Did he physically hit some wall? Maybe carrying the load in January wore him out? I really think it looks mental to me. He has seemed checked out. He looks tentative, not wanting to take shots.

Per Locke he is the best off the bounce 3pt shooter in the league. This series could use a great off the bounce 3pt shooter.

Can he get back to himself over the offseason? What is his trade value right now?
It's been bad. His floater is so off. He misses Gobert too often when it should be a long not a shot. He sees rattled and defers too much to Don. I would like to see him take way more 3s off the dribble.

Man, Luka is so talented and is so fun to watch but he is one of the biggest babies in the league.
It actually makes it really difficult for me to watch him. I want to like the guy, and his talent is other-worldly and will one day place him on top of the entire league I have no doubt. But he is so unlikeable as to be nearly a caricature. I had a soft spot in my heart for Dallas during the Nowitzki years and I, for one, was happy to see them win a ring at that time. But even with a lingering semi-fan feeling for the team, Doncic makes me just hate them.

Add in Brunson and a couple of the others and this quickly becomes among the easiest teams in the league to hate for me. Kind of sucks.

yep i'm happy to reward Clarkson with extra flame. Might get a win if he goes for 40.
The problem with Clarkson is that it's all midrange and floaters. He doesn't have the same impact as when he was scorching 3s. I still blame him for the momentum turning when he passed up that wide open 3 to throw a skip pass to a partially covered Juancho

It's really too bad the Mavs don't have the pieces to trade for Gobert. He'd take this team to championship level

I think he's had a long career, and it's been a long season. He would be fine as the 2nd or 3rd ball handler and 4th offensive option. For us, he's the primary ball handler for much of the time he's in there since they try to stagger him and Don. He's finding it tough to find space due to his age and size. Since we have such poor perimeter defending, the same excuse I use for Don can be used for Mike - it's too damn hard to be good on both ends when you're asked to do so much on offense.

As for trade value, I think he has it for a very small group of teams. For most, he's more a negative than positive.

I could see the Lakers being a really good fit for Mike. On a healthy day for them, Mike can be the 3rd or 4th offensive option while being the 2nd or 3rd ball handler. LeBron, AD, ?, Mike and a perimeter defender.

Mike for THT, Nunn, a throw in contract and maybe some 2nd's or a future protected 1st? We do it to save money and get younger. Lakers do it because they like old vets?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the jazz win game 6 just so they can lose in embarrassing fashion in game 7

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz