What's new

Best films of 2015

Beasts of No Nation and The Big Short didn't make the list?

Would you ever watch Beasts of No Nation a second time? For me, that's a critical component of what the "best" films were in a given year. The ones you remember fondly are rarely the ones you would never come back to.

The Big Short.....let's just say that I'm not shocked it was directed by Adam Mckay. That film tries aggressively to push women away. If you read why I picked Magic Mike XXL, it should be apparent that the Big Short is problematic for me.

This year sucked for comedy. Spy and Trainwreck were meh. Trainwreck was funny in a comedic for comedians perspective (the LeBron James stuff) but I prefer more LMAOLOL stuff.

Good comedies are very very rare. There weren't any this year. Trainwreck's best parts were Lebron and John Cena. Spy is like the definition of a replacement level comedy. After that you're down into the dreck of stuff like Get Hard, Ride Along 2, and other examples of Kevin Hart not being funny.

That Said "The Overnight" just hit netflix and I have high hopes.

Updated: Added The Hateful 8 which I watched last night.

I love Tarantino more than anyone. I own a leather jacket that's an exact replica of Uma Thurman's in Kill Bill. I have signed film posters of Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and Inglourious ********. I have a Hattori Hanzo sword with the Bud engraving signed by David Carradine and Michael Madsen. My house is practically a Tarantino shrine.

That said, Hateful 8 is half of a good movie. Everything after the intermission is baller. You could leave 20% of the first half on the cutting room floor and never miss a beat. If Tarantino is really only going to give us two more movies and then retire, they need to be better than Hateful Eight.

I love Tarantino more than anyone. I own a leather jacket that's an exact replica of Uma Thurman's in Kill Bill. I have signed film posters of Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and Inglourious ********. I have a Hattori Hanzo sword with the Bud engraving signed by David Carradine and Michael Madsen. My house is practically a Tarantino shrine.

That said, Hateful 8 is half of a good movie. Everything after the intermission is baller. You could leave 20% of the first half on the cutting room floor and never miss a beat. If Tarantino is really only going to give us two more movies and then retire, they need to be better than Hateful Eight.

Which scene is the intermission? Here they screen the whole movie all the way through.

Also he CANNOT retire. He is a National Treasure.

Would you ever watch Beasts of No Nation a second time? For me, that's a critical component of what the "best" films were in a given year. The ones you remember fondly are rarely the ones you would never come back to.

The Big Short.....let's just say that I'm not shocked it was directed by Adam Mckay. That film tries aggressively to push women away. If you read why I picked Magic Mike XXL, it should be apparent that the Big Short is problematic for me.

Good comedies are very very rare. There weren't any this year. Trainwreck's best parts were Lebron and John Cena. Spy is like the definition of a replacement level comedy. After that you're down into the dreck of stuff like Get Hard, Ride Along 2, and other examples of Kevin Hart not being funny.

That Said "The Overnight" just hit netflix and I have high hopes.

Hateful Eight definitely my least favorite Tarantino movie ever. Still a good movie though. I just thought the pacing of the movie was off. It seemed like once people started to die, everyone was dead right away and there wasnt that suspense or guessing as to who it was.

Which scene is the intermission? Here they screen the whole movie all the way through.

Also he CANNOT retire. He is a National Treasure.

The film was shown in 100 theaters in it's "intended" 70mm roadshow format. That version was ~15 minutes longer and had an overture and intermission.

The intermission ends when Tarantino starts doing narration. The joke when he cold starts a scene with something like "It's been 15 minutes since we last saw..." is that the intermission lasted 15 minutes.

Hateful Eight definitely my least favorite Tarantino movie ever. Still a good movie though. I just thought the pacing of the movie was off. It seemed like once people started to die, everyone was dead right away and there wasnt that suspense or guessing as to who it was.

This is exactly how I felt as well.

The build up was really good then BAM!! They're all dead.

The film was shown in 100 theaters in it's "intended" 70mm roadshow format. That version was ~15 minutes longer and had an overture and intermission.

The intermission ends when Tarantino starts doing narration. The joke when he cold starts a scene with something like "It's been 15 minutes since we last saw..." is that the intermission lasted 15 minutes.

Oh ok I see.. are you saying you enjoyed the movie more after the narration started? I personally thought the movie was more interesting BEFORE the narration... I loved all the suspense and the stories that each characters shared, i.e., about the war, etc. I thought once the narration started it was more about shooting, and action, etc. I preferred the first part more, but yeah it's interesting to hear that you enjoyed the 2nd part more.

Also I thought everyone was fantastic in this except Channing Tatum... just don't think he belongs in this movie. A really weird selection/casting for me. Are they trying to appeal to a younger crowd? Who knows.

Also I thought everyone was fantastic in this except Channing Tatum... just don't think he belongs in this movie. A really weird selection/casting for me. Are they trying to appeal to a younger crowd? Who knows.

Admittedly if I had to select a single face in Hollywood to play a bushwhacking sack shooter I might pick Channers Tates too.

I vehemently disagree with some of whats said about the Hateful 8 on this page. I've seen it around 10 times already and have concluded the dialogue and acting is top notch, you have to be able to really appreciate old racist humor to get it fully though.. The musical accompaniment is flawless as usual. To me the story was awesome, I love **** like that.

Domergue was great. Sam Jackson kills it, and so does Kurt Russell..

Channing Tstum in his limited role delivers some great lines, I thought he was a great casting.. "and when it comes to that pile of dead ******* that we're building out back, it wont take nothin to make you general of them, best believe that".. That whole conversation where he's running the general thru the plan is gold.

The conversation starts "Well old man. If you was a cat, what just happened here would count as one of your nine lives" hahahah

Ended up being my favorite movie of the year. I'd argue it's masterfully constructed. There's plenty of foreshadowing so I can't complain about the sequencing.

Did you read Battlefield Earth?
I heard it was a really good book despite the movie sucking balls.

I'm hoping to read it one day

The book was pretty good, but it suffered from the same plot fail that the movie did, about their breathe gas.

Also as may be traditional, here's my list of "Best non-R-rated 2015 movies that I haven't seen yet". At least, I think they might be the best ones, but since I haven't seen them yet I guess I don't really know.

Ant-Man
Bridge of Spies
Inside Out
Insurgent
Jurassic World
Just Let Go
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
Minions
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Mr. Holmes
Shaun the Sheep Movie
Spectre
Suffragette
Taken 3
Terminator Genisys
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
The Intern
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
The Martian
The Peanuts Movie
Woman in Gold

Any thoughts as to what priority I should give them? Any that don't deserve to be on the list?

Also as may be traditional, here's my list of "Best non-R-rated 2015 movies that I haven't seen yet". At least, I think they might be the best ones, but since I haven't seen them yet I guess I don't really know.

Ant-Man
Bridge of Spies
Inside Out
Insurgent
Jurassic World
Just Let Go
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
Minions
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Mr. Holmes
Shaun the Sheep Movie
Spectre
Suffragette
Taken 3
Terminator Genisys
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
The Intern
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
The Martian
The Peanuts Movie
Woman in Gold

Any thoughts as to what priority I should give them? Any that don't deserve to be on the list?

Bridge of Spies was great. Antman was much better than expected.

Trainwreck's best parts were Lebron and John Cena.

No mention of marv albert?
Smd

It was hilarious when Amy schumer jumped off the trampoline to attempt some flips and a dunk and faceplanted

I vehemently disagree with some of whats said about the Hateful 8 on this page. I've seen it around 10 times already and have concluded the dialogue and acting is top notch, you have to be able to really appreciate old racist humor to get it fully though.. The musical accompaniment is flawless as usual. To me the story was awesome, I love **** like that.

Domergue was great. Sam Jackson kills it, and so does Kurt Russell..

Channing Tstum in his limited role delivers some great lines, I thought he was a great casting.. "and when it comes to that pile of dead ******* that we're building out back, it wont take nothin to make you general of them, best believe that".. That whole conversation where he's running the general thru the plan is gold.

The conversation starts "Well old man. If you was a cat, what just happened here would count as one of your nine lives" hahahah

Ended up being my favorite movie of the year. I'd argue it's masterfully constructed. There's plenty of foreshadowing so I can't complain about the sequencing.
I'm with ya. I loved it.
Walton goggins pwned everyone though

Mad Max was a big budget action movies, and I loved it. Cy is just a hater.

Braveheart was good too.
I loved mad max too.
One of my favorites from last year

Was braveheart a big budget action movie?
I don't know.

The only movie I've seen that is mentioned in this thread is Ex Machina. I don't really like hollywood movies in general. I've probably watched less than 8 movies this entire year. My very least favorite kind of movie is adolescent action movies like fast and furious. Can't imagine wasting any portion of my life sitting down to watch **** like that.