What's new

BYU Player Suspended for Wearing Earrings

Pretty dumb.
Also Jamal Williams will be out that game.

I was hearing maybe Travis Wilson was too be suspended for the ute first game.

I'm heading that Texas and many other schools are suspending players for thier first games too.

I guess it's a good idea to schedule that first game against a horrible team so the suspensions do not even really matter

Except that it's not true. He's a sarcastic guy. He was being a total dick to some of the other media guys on twitter too. He had a host of issues that he didn't feel warranted being up front with coaches about so they hit him for a game. Mind you, this guy got shown the door at Oregon a few years ago because was immature. Huge talent though if he can ever calm down enough to get himself on the field:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNk77rSNU4M

I agree that there must be more to the story. Wearing earrings once is not the type of thing that would get you suspended. Now, if he wore them over and over after repeatedly having been asked by the coaches to stop, and/or giving them lip about the request... now those are the types of things I could see eventually leading to a suspension.

I agree that there must be more to the story. Wearing earrings once is not the type of thing that would get you suspended. Now, if he wore them over and over after repeatedly having been asked by the coaches to stop, and/or giving them lip about the request... now those are the types of things I could see eventually leading to a suspension.

Why would anyone care if a football player wears earrings?

I agree that it is dumb. I have a sincere question.

Are earings and other types of body modifications part of the honor code that this player signed?

It's not football players specifically... earrings are prohibited for all male students at BYU. It's part of the dress code that you agree to when you decide to attend the university. For men, it says, "Earrings and other body piercing are not acceptable." For women it says, "Excessive ear piercing (more than one per ear) and all other body piercing are not acceptable." You can read the whole thing here if you want: https://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2013-2014ucat/GeneralInfo/HonorCode.php

Yes, exactly.

If they are then I find no fault with BYU. Regardless of my, or anyone elses opinion, of the Honor Code this guy signed it knowing what it is. He broke that agreement and as a result faces the music.

I agree. Pretty dumb rule
I agree that it is dumb. I have a sincere question.

Are earings and other types of body modifications part of the honor code that this player signed?
Yes it's an honor code violation

Then the the suspension is the appropriate course of action.

I agree.
sure sucks though. As a byu fan I hate watching good players get suspended for things that they would not be suspended for elsewhere. (keep in mind that im a fan of byu basketball and football and not necessarily a fan of the school itself or the religion)

I dislike the honor code

Harvey unga had sex with his fiance that he had been with for like 5 years and was going into his senior season (holding all the career byu rushing records and possibly the best running back of all time at byu........ though i think its luke staley) and was suspended for the year...... he is married to that girl now so he basically lost his sr year of football, and the team lost a star, because he had sex with his wife.

Then there is the brandon davies story and he gets suspended for the conference tournament and ncaa tourney because he slept with a girlfriend.

As a fan, its frustrating

I agree.
sure sucks though. As a byu fan I hate watching good players get suspended for things that they would not be suspended for elsewhere. (keep in mind that im a fan of byu basketball and football and not necessarily a fan of the school itself or the religion)

I dislike the honor code

Harvey unga had sex with his fiance that he had been with for like 5 years and was going into his senior season (holding all the career byu rushing records and possibly the best running back of all time at byu........ though i think its luke staley) and was suspended for the year...... he is married to that girl now so he basically lost his sr year of football, and the team lost a star, because he had sex with his wife.

Then there is the brandon davies story and he gets suspended for the conference tournament and ncaa tourney because he slept with a girlfriend.

Sure does. And personally i think it is silly and want to say let the kid play but he agreed.

Sure does. And personally i think it is silly and want to say let the kid play but he agreed.

According to Mike Hague, earrings were not the issue.

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/58286306-65/blackmon-byu-earrings-game.html.csp

Did BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall really just suspend a guy an entire game for wearing earrings?
Not if you believe former Cougar defensive back Mike Hague, who graduated last spring.
On his Twitter account, @Mikehague32 tweeted: "Earrings??? Ha that’s comical and highly inaccurate. #smokescreen

So maybe Blackmon was having fun with the media with his Twitter remarks, and who knows what the story really is.

I agree.

I dislike the honor code

LOL, that stuff was pretty damn funny. Haha.